M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

12-01-2022, 10:50 PM   #1
Popematt02
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

M5 vs R8 V10

Hey everyone, I might have a race lined up against an R8 with a little bit of money on the line. It’s a 2010 V10 model. I recently got my m5, it has one set catless downpipes, and one set of high-flow catted downpipes. Unknown JB4 tune from previous owner, all I know is that it is pushing 18psi. A couple questions: should I take the race? I assume higher speeds will be better? Also, is this a stage 1 tune? How much power should it be pushing? Should I run a hotter tune to try and win this race, maybe E85?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popematt02 View Post
Hey everyone, I might have a race lined up against an R8 with a little bit of money on the line. It's a 2010 V10 model. I recently got my m5, it has one set catless downpipes, and one set of high-flow catted downpipes. Unknown JB4 tune from previous owner, all I know is that it is pushing 18psi. A couple questions: should I take the race? I assume higher speeds will be better? Also, is this a stage 1 tune? How much power should it be pushing? Should I run a hotter tune to try and win this race, maybe E85?
Wow. You have a lot of unknowns with car, the other car and personally on your own end. Usually having dual downpipes puts you at stage 2 (conceptually). I've never heard of anyone running 1 catless and 1 catted pipe. Not sure how you would tune to that considering there are O2 sensors on both sides. SMH

However your tune really determines your stage. You would need to run a dyno to really find out what you're putting out. My guess would be 620 to 640hp.

All things equal, the R8 is lighter and all wheel drive. Stock vs Stock, you wouldn't have a fighting chance from a dig all the up to a rolling race at 40-50 mph.

Good luck but if I were you, I would find out what's under my hood first. What's the maintenance like, etc.
Appreciate 2