BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Here's a good thread:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736825

The M5 is wider, front and rear. Bumpers, fenders, brakes, wheels, mirrors, and exhaust are very different. As for performance, it's night and day difference. From the suspension, to DCT, power, and to braking.
Thanks...I'll check it out!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #24
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Day 8 - Installed RW Carbon - Center Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler. It was super easy.

Jack the car up, don't forget to use a BMS BMW Jack Pad Adapter (so you won't tear up your plastic jack pads) and Jack Stand for the center jack point. Remove 4x8mm screws from the bottom. The lip doesn't come pre-drilled, but it does have indentation for where the holes should be (you can see them in the photo). So I drilled 4x1/4" holes (start with the smaller bits, then work up to 1/4"). Drill at a lower speed and wear a mask to avoid breathing in resins. I just hold my breath and walk away after each hole, LOL.

Once drilling and fitting is done (test fit the screws position, enlarge the holes as needed). Wipe the bumper and lip with a micro fiber cloth soaked in a bit of rubbing alcohol. Stick 3 strips of 3M outdoor double sided tape on the center section and one strip of tape on each side of the lip. Position the tape about 3/4" away from the front of the lip so it's out of the view. (sorry, I forgot to take photos of the tape position).

Once tape is on, test fit one more time. I don't remove the tape all the way from the 5 strips, I peeled it half way and have it hanging out in front for access. Go ahead and install 4 screws half way while trying to keep tape in front from sticking. Once you're satisfied, peel the tape (red part) all the way and press. Tighten the screws and Voila, you're done. This shouldn't take more than 45min.

I'm super happy with the carbon fiber quality and fitment on this lip.
Attached Images

03-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #25
Lalit@autocouture
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

Congrats
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #26
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Hey...question. Which do you prefer and like better, the x5m or m5? Can you detail their differences and pros and cons? Im looking to get actually one of these vehicles. Was curious to hear from an owner of both models. Thanks!!!
I can't speak from experience about the X5M (I only have the basic F15 X5) but I can vouch for the M5. I had a bone stock LCI 2014 M5 in black sapphire back / black int. Most basic looking combo imo. I was surprised how much look I got in the car. In FL nonetheless and I used it when we vacay at the beaches. Great comfort car and yet will pull like hell in sports mode.

Everything is different on the M5, even interior if you get the extended and BO. I had a nice run with the m5. I personally don't find the techs in M5 dated. 16 vs 16 would have the same navi/hud/controls. The seats on the X5M are really nice though but the M5 has butt mover option lol. It's not a massage like the s-class but it shifts your butt cheeks around.

Test them both, you can't go wrong with either.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #27
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

OP, that rear diffusor, my gawd. Fitment looks great from here. That's a very, very nice piece.

Maybe I'll get a replacement front lip for the m3 from them. I break them like 2 a year, need something cheaper at least.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #28
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Thanks for the pics....I was looking at this exact front center lip from RW carbon (the site didnt have a picture of it mounted on an M5)....time to be ordering....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #29
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Let me add "DCT" , "Steering" and "Handling" to the M5 pros. Also, because of these three (and lower center of gravity) M5 is about 10 seconds faster (than X5M) over the ring...
To me X5M is too heavy and that's why even with a more powerful engine and more torque beside the AWD is still slower than M5 in term of 0-60 or even 1/4 mile + trap speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Hey...question. Which do you prefer and like better, the x5m or m5? Can you detail their differences and pros and cons? Im looking to get actually one of these vehicles. Was curious to hear from an owner of both models. Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
I can't speak from experience about the X5M (I only have the basic F15 X5) but I can vouch for the M5. I had a bone stock LCI 2014 M5 in black sapphire back / black int. Most basic looking combo imo. I was surprised how much look I got in the car. In FL nonetheless and I used it when we vacay at the beaches. Great comfort car and yet will pull like hell in sports mode.

Everything is different on the M5, even interior if you get the extended and BO. I had a nice run with the m5. I personally don't find the techs in M5 dated. 16 vs 16 would have the same navi/hud/controls. The seats on the X5M are really nice though but the M5 has butt mover option lol. It's not a massage like the s-class but it shifts your butt cheeks around.

One very important difference that I left out, B&O in the M5 sounds so much better than the B&O in the X5M. Both systems have the same power, but it's filling a tighter and smaller cabin of the M5. This makes it so much better. If you're an audiophile, go with the M5 over the X5M. I still have both, so I can tell you it's night and day in audio difference.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/car-a...es,-,Limousine

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/car-a...s/bmw/BMW,-,X5
      03-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #30
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP, that rear diffusor, my gawd. Fitment looks great from here. That's a very, very nice piece.

Maybe I'll get a replacement front lip for the m3 from them. I break them like 2 a year, need something cheaper at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Thanks for the pics....I was looking at this exact front center lip from RW carbon (the site didnt have a picture of it mounted on an M5)....time to be ordering....
Thanks guys. Just call Matt RW Carbon, let him know that I sent you. He "might" be able to give you a better deal than their website.

Last edited by JNoSol; 03-21-2016 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #31
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

lip turned out great!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #32
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:

thanks dude. I looked at some threads, and saw comparison of 5 series and M5, and had a really hard time telling them apart. M5 doesn't "seem" wider. The bumpers are not more aggressive, nor are the side panels. I guess, I would have loved for the M5 to be dressed up as the M3/4. With the M3 you get the flared side panels, crazy bumper and mirrors, and etc. I saw an M5 the other day while driving. I spotted it because of the exhaust and the 5M side vent. Otherwise, I wouldn't even look at it as more than a 528/535.
Im just trying to convince myself that M5 looks more aggressive than 5er M sport...lol. Silly, I know.
But yea, thanks for the feedback dude.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #33
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

ordered mine but its on back order one week too late.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #34
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder
Quote:

thanks dude. I looked at some threads, and saw comparison of 5 series and M5, and had a really hard time telling them apart. M5 doesn't "seem" wider. The bumpers are not more aggressive, nor are the side panels. I guess, I would have loved for the M5 to be dressed up as the M3/4. With the M3 you get the flared side panels, crazy bumper and mirrors, and etc. I saw an M5 the other day while driving. I spotted it because of the exhaust and the 5M side vent. Otherwise, I wouldn't even look at it as more than a 528/535.
Im just trying to convince myself that M5 looks more aggressive than 5er M sport...lol. Silly, I know.
But yea, thanks for the feedback dude.
Looks aside, once you go M you won't go back. It's almost impossible to go back... I promise you that.

Just get into an M, any M. You will thank me later.
      03-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #35
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTeD ///M
ordered mine but its on back order one week too late.
I think I got the last set. 4 weeks wait isn't bad.
      03-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #36
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Day 9: Coded my car with Euro MDM. OMG... So much more power and wheel spin, the tail kicks out much further than stock. I highly recommend this mod. Don't be an idiot and turn DSC OFF, you're just endangering yourself and others. Boosted car power delivery is not as predictable, don't be the guy with an M4 that runs over the median.

Euro MDM allows you to enjoy your M5 to the fullest w/o letting you kill yourself.

My write up below...

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...6#post19613846
      03-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #37
Blkthght
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 CP Singapore Grey

JNoSol,

Quick question about the RW rear diffuser. Do you still have comfort access? Is the functionality still there, but reduced? Or is it gone completely? And by comfort access I mean using your foot in a kicking motion to activate your trunk. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #38
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkthght View Post
JNoSol,

Quick question about the RW rear diffuser. Do you still have comfort access? Is the functionality still there, but reduced? Or is it gone completely? And by comfort access I mean using your foot in a kicking motion to activate your trunk. Thanks.
I'll be honest with you, my last 7 BMWs had comfort access and this one does as well. I only was able to make the comfort trunk access work no more than 3 times, diffuser or not. I got tired of looking like an idiot in the grocery store parking lots so I gave up on that BMW technology a long time ago. I understand it only likes a single kick motion, not waving around. I will try it later to see if it works or not.
      03-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #39
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I got tired of looking like an idiot in the grocery store parking lots so I gave up on that BMW technology a long time ago. I understand it only likes a single kick motion, not waving around.
you know, if i didn't know anything about this comfort access and i was sitting in my car across from you i would have been LMAO watching you! i probably would've recorded you lol! like, what is he doing? is there something wrong with his leg
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #40
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
you know, if i didn't know anything about this comfort access and i was sitting in my car across from you i would have been LMAO watching you! i probably would've recorded you lol! like, what is he doing? is there something wrong with his leg
Bahahah... Yeah.
      03-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #41
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

More photos of RW Carbon - Center Carbon Fiber Front Spoiler (RKP Style)
Attached Images

03-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #42
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

RW Carbon - Perf Style Vacuum Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler

Day 9 - Installed RW Carbon - Perf Style Vacuum Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler

To remove the spoiler, use fishing lines (floss breaks too easily) and a microfiber cloth. Hold both each end of the fishing line, make a sawing motion starting from the edge (pull lines away from the edge). Once you're in about 6inch through, slide a micro fiber cloth under edge that you just gone through to prop the spoiler. Keep working the fishing lines through the rest of the spoiler. The micro fiber cloth should maintain a 4-8inch distance from the section you're working through with the fishing lines.

Once the spoiler is off, you'll have a mess of double sided tape to clean off. Spray the 3M adhesive removal generously and let it soak for 30 sec. I use a razor blade to carefully remove the adhesive. (it's ok if you scratch the areas the spoiler is going on) Keep repeating until the thick layer of glue is off the trunk. Once the hard work is done (about 1.5hr). Spray a final layer of adhesive removal, let it soak for 30sec, then use a microfiber to buff it until it's squeaky clean as shown.

Next, clean both the spoiler and trunk surface with rubbing alcohol. Line up the spoiler, mark with masking tapes, then apply Betalink adhesive as instructed.

Betalink: http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Enjoy...
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 03-24-2016 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #43
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Looks Great!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:38 AM   #44
JNoSol
Brigadier General