09-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

IND Side Marker Installation Procedure

IND Side Marker Installation Procedure

Similar to the E9X M3, BMW gave enthusiasts a head start with the elimination of the chrome window trim in favor of their gloss black "shadow line" trim. Unfortunately, BMW did not address the chrome side grills.

With BMW leaving off at the window trim we decided to pick up the pieces and offer a high quality painted solution for the F10 M5 community. All IND side markers utilize the OEM part as a base to ensure a 100% fit. The original BMW chrome base does require a touch more preparation than if we had used an equivalent aftermarket part, but the end result is a product with perfect fitment.

This side marker can be installed by anyone with a couple simple body tools and some time.

Tools required:

1.) Step one is to ensure you provide yourself with the most comfortable installation environment. Our technicians are accustom to working with body tools around paint so in the installation photos you will notice no painters tape was used. With that being said we do recommend the DIY installer uses painters tape to frame the side marker. Framing the side marker with painters tape will protect your paint in the event that the hand gripping the nylon pry tool accidentally slips from the side marker.

2.) With the use of a flexible bondo spreader begin to separate the side marker from the fender. The F10 M5 side marker is held in by plastic tabs so the purpose of the bondo spreader is to create room for the nylon prybar to do its job.

3.) With the bondo spreader creating a view of the mounting tabs, please take note of these tabs. There are 3 tabs on the top portion of the side marker, 1 toward the front of the vehicle, and 3 more tabs on the underside. The best option is to work from the top down as a loose top will allow you to simply wiggle the bottom of the side marker free.

4.) with the bondo spreader in one hand and the nylon pry bar in the other, carefully pull the bondo spreader toward your body. This action will result in exposing the mounting tab. With the tab exposed press the nylon pry bar down on the tab with light pressure. The pressure from the pry bar will release the tab from the

5.) Repeat step 4 across the top portion of the side marker all the way to the side tab located in the direction of the front bumper.

6.) AUCHTUNG! Do not pull the side marker out of the vehicle without first removing the clip from LED power cable.

7.) Now that the side marker is free from the LED power cable you are now able to install the IND Painted Side Marker. The side marker will simply snap into place. First, reposition the LED power cable into the male connector on the LED. Similar to the removal place the top clips into the fender housing and carefully push into the fender.

8.) Ensure that both turn signal LED's function properly before driving.

Viola!

10-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB

Not to be daft or anything...but these parts needed...can all be bought at your usual every day home depot? The spreade and prybar?
      10-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrus112 View Post
Not to be daft or anything...but these parts needed...can all be bought at your usual every day home depot? The spreade and prybar?
I recommend going to Autozone or NAPA but we can also ship the side grilles with the install kit ready to go.
      10-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
I recommend going to Autozone or NAPA but we can also ship the side grilles with the install kit ready to go.
Lol...well u guys alreadt shipped mine and they're being delivered today. So, I gonna get the tools today on the way home.
      10-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
Lol...well u guys alreadt shipped mine and they're being delivered today. So, I gonna get the tools today on the way home.
How did the install go? Let me know if you need any of the install tools shipped out.
      10-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
How did the install go? Let me know if you need any of the install tools shipped out.
Thanks a lot man. Got some similar tools from Home Depot yesterday. Will carefully attempt install this evening with soft soothing musi in the background. I swear if I hurt this car in any way, I'll need to be on suicide watch
      10-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot man. Got some similar tools from Home Depot yesterday. Will carefully attempt install this evening with soft soothing musi in the background. I swear if I hurt this car in any way, I'll need to be on suicide watch
Put some Sade on and it will be no problem at all lol.

I recommend adding some tape in the following areas just in case-
      10-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Nate,

Is the front grill installation essentially the same as the side grills?
Bish
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Nate,

Is the front grill installation essentially the same as the side grills?
Bish
Check the F10 M5 forums. i got the instructions there. Just search it. Same instructions as on a 535/550i
      10-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

I'm all done the installs of front grilles and side markers. Here's what I think. Bear in mind I've done both of these installs before on my E90 M3 with success. Granted I was more careful this time, and also went in thinking this would be easier (for some reason). Don't get me wrong. I got them done so they can't be that hard, cause I'm by no means a big DIY person.

Front Grilles.
TBO these were tougher than I remember/expected. It's a royal pain in the ass that I needed a hex screwdriver to undo the screws at the top of the bumper. Also, I hated pulling forward on my front bumper, so I ended up really squeezing my hand down there to manipulate the OEM grilles. My left grille was a total PITA to get out. For some reason the damn clips just do not simply push down by hand and allow easy smooth removal of the grills. Took much more force than I was hoping it would, and the CRACKING noise of each grille finally coming loose was quick scary. Fortunately, nothing damaged or scratched. No clips broken, and the new IND grilles both snapped in very easily. So easily that I rechecked and rechecked the fitment thinking there was somehow more snapping into place that needed to be done. They look great.

Side markers
For these I used blue painter's tape to protect the surrounding area very thoroughly. I didn't do this at all for my M3 and actually ended up with slight bruising around the housing (not noticeable to the untrained eye) and I was pissed. I remember the M3 side markers had been so tough to get out that I went back at them on like 3 separate occasions before I got the first one to finally snap out. And it's a wonder it didn't break. The first one of these was kind of similar. But I got it done in one sitting. The side markers don't wiggle out easily for me with simple top pressure on the clips. I used very similar tools to those described and used same technique. Surely enough the clips were exposed, but it's not like you press down on one and the market wiggles out at that point and you can just move on to the next clip. Just didn't happen like that for me. I ended up getting my hands involved and doing a lot of tugging. And eventually they POPPED out with a terrible cracking noise but cleanly. No damage done. With both sides, the end result was each one popping out quite suddenly to the point where if a clip had broken I wouldn't have been surprised. But they were all intact. I think they're just very stuff, plastic clips that create that harsh release. That's all I can say. And oh...then the IND ones popped in easy as pie. No bruising anywhere...no drama. I'm happy.

Today, I'll be installing the front bumper reflectors. Had to go buy a ratchet set for it (told ya I'm not a DIY person). Will report on that too but it sounds easy. I must admit I'm not terribly excite about working so close to the bumper camera. But I'm sure it'll be fine.

Cheers!
      11-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Alex@ONEighty
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 CZP 6MT

Nice write up.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

Here are my side markers from IND. Gloss black with dark led.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
vaibhav11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5 PMS Limited Editio

I finally got a chance to put in the side markers from IND. I got the gloss black finish with the matte black inside and medium tint LED covers. Here they are (before and after) on the Monte Carlo Blue.

Sorry for the not-so-great pic quality... I took them on my Blackberry phone, the car was dirty, and the sun lighting wasn't the best.

The installation was pretty easy... as stated in the previous posts, taking the OEM chrome side grills out was a little difficult, but once they pop out, they are out. It does seem like the tabs were going to break, but they didn't.

Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
ihc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2103 F10 M5

What matches the shadowline trim the best? Gloss black or matte black (for outer color of the side marker). I have an MCB color, thinking of going body color for the outer frame, matte black for inner color, and custom painted MCB mesh grill.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav11 View Post
I finally got a chance to put in the side markers from IND. I got the gloss black finish with the matte black inside and medium tint LED covers. Here they are (before and after) on the Monte Carlo Blue.

Sorry for the not-so-great pic quality... I took them on my Blackberry phone, the car was dirty, and the sun lighting wasn't the best.

The installation was pretty easy... as stated in the previous posts, taking the OEM chrome side grills out was a little difficult, but once they pop out, they are out. It does seem like the tabs were going to break, but they didn't.

Cheers.
such a game changer.. very nice.
      09-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Nate@IND
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc View Post
What matches the shadowline trim the best? Gloss black or matte black (for outer color of the side marker). I have an MCB color, thinking of going body color for the outer frame, matte black for inner color, and custom painted MCB mesh grill.
Gloss black will match the shadowline trim 100%.
      09-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

Just did a DIY with the directions from IND. The whole job took twenty minutes, the first side because of the learning curve the second five minutes. Masking tape is helpful, but the tools from IND are key, well worth the 13 dollars. I found the most helpful step was to look at the new grill as you are removing the old, looking at the brackets. Basically helps you to pry in all the right places. I ordered the outside to match my singapore gray paint, looks nice. Thanks for the great DIY tips.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Mikeisen
Civilian
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey M4 F82

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Can't wait to get mine. Just did the front grill today. Easy install overall. Hope this install is as easy. Thanks for the pics.
      12-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Mikeisen
Civilian
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Just received my side markers in the mail. I'm just waiting for the tools to arrive, had to order from amazon. No local store carries them. Will post pics once completed.
      12-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
Mikeisen
Civilian
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Bondo speader - $1.25
7pc nylon prybar set - $7.50
IND side marker (gloss black on matte) - $230
Doing the replacement yourself in 10 minutes without a glich - priceless
I love this car
      11-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #21
clcon
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: All the BMW

IND Discount code

I was wondering if there is any discount code for BIMMERPOST member?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Any thoughts for if the matte side markers don't have the m5 emblem? Did anyone remove their stock emblem or order new? If so where from? Thanks!
Appreciate 0