M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-30-2022, 09:43 PM   #45
BSkinnyM5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 S63TU

I just "recently" bought a 2013 BMW M5 (F10) with about 78k miles on it. It was obvious the owner wanted to get rid of it before he reached 80k (which is a "major" service time). But when I bought it, I got it for $32,900 with a sick ass trade-in on my non-turbo Panamera because it was white.

After I bought it, I found that I had to replace the front rotors for inspection. So I bought a used set that was within spec, for $350 shipped. I did it myself so the labor was free.

I then changed all the spark plugs, got a JB4 Tune, and replaced the oil Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or whatever (which i noticed i burn 1 oz every 3k miles), differential with Amsoil 75W-140, and the transmission fluid with Amsoil DCT fluid.

Everything drives like a dream, except for their historically known, notoriously terrible electronics system. Key fob wont work right, Bluetooth doeesnt connect right, etc. Other than that, I am SO happy with my purchase and the JB4.

Anyways, now that I'm approaching 95k miles, and I was able to obtain ALL service records of the car from BMW directly, the previous owners maintained the fluids REALLY well. The only thing I notice immediately are the ball joints/suspension bushings. They make a crucial noise when Im in sport mode. Other than that, the car runs awesome.

So I dug a little deeper and saw that these engines "go bad after 150k-200k miles". I thought a lot about it and I will tell you what I think..

The reason may be because the block and aluminum are both made from Aluminum, which we all know will warp over time. However, I feel like if the cylinder walls were re-bored with FRM addition, it will become like new. Otherwise, just enlarge the bore and get bigger pistons (which would be another topic of discussion - rebalancing the engine, etc.). BUT, if the engine DOESNT warp, and the engines "go bad" after 200K miles simply because of the cylinder heads, then I think thats inexcusable to say that these engines go bad after 150K-200K. I don't know, I'm just kinda thinking out loud. What do you guys think? Am I logical?

Also thank you RaFiK for the below list. I will be using it to reference what to do for my upcoming 100k mile service as inscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFiK - BMWClubUAE View Post
Bro, S63tu without warranty is a No No.. specially if you're new to this platform.

Regardless of the history and regardless of the previous driver's behavior these cars will require attention.

I bought mine with 69,000 km on the speedo (about 43,000 miles) back in July. The car has warranty till Feb/19 or 100,000 km (62,000 miles).

The car - as per the dealership - had no major issues and was being serviced always at the right intervals. From my experience to Ms (I've owned 3 so far), you have to rape these cars to get all the faults out of their systems and service them to become bullet proof.

I immediately went hard on the F10 and within couple of weeks, the car threw in couple of faults and went into limp mode. I got the car to the dealer, and they've replaced the following in 40 days time (They gave me a loaner car - F30 330i)...
- Spark Plugs - Just did them 20k miles ago
- Ignition Coils - Will replace with new
- Injectors - Will clean and replace
- Front Brake Pads - Will replace, when needed
- Front Brake Discs - Just passed inspection, will do it when the time comes
- Rear Brake Pads - Will replace, when needed
- Rear Brake Discs - Just passed inspection, will do it when the time comes
- Differential Bushings & Support Frame - Need to look into this and do it.
- Differential Bracket (New upgraded part) - Need to look into this and do it.
- Front Windshield Rubber Molding - Why?
- Parking Brake Button - Yeah mine sucks.
- Throttle Body cleaning - Will remove and clean and replace
- Engine Valve Seals - Will remove and replace
- Engine Head Gasket - Will remove and replace
- Engine Water Pump - Will remove and replace
- Driver Door Inner Trim - I hate that rubber piece.
- Front Bumper Cameras - Yeah my sensors keep going off, even when my car ignition is off.

All of these were covered by warranty, and the cost for all of this was in excess of 15,000 USD$.

Long story short, make sure you have warranty for at least few months to replace most of the parts to get your car in a good shape.
So the only thing left is to address the ball joints. If I get the whole kit from FCP or something, will that get rid of that click noise whenever I accelerate? Assuming the new differential bushing and bracket addresses this issue? Do I really need to replace ALL the bushings too? Or can I just do the ball joints? I am trying to save as much as possible, for this upcoming adventure. Thanks from the past.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2022, 04:52 AM   #46
BMWSauberF1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
The exec package which I admit mine has consists of 343M's 20'',black tint rear half windows, comfort active seats (best seats on the planet) speed limit display? equaliser hi fi with s/disc,rear camera,not sure about the headlamps they seem to swing round corners and dip to oncoming traffic, think thats it but could be wrong and the worthwhile option of split/fold rear seats.NV and lane change buzzer I do not have as like you I tend to do low miles with the odd trips to the coast at weekends.
I think soft close doors are part of this as well. Didn't think I'd care about it but its a really nice feature.
As well as ventilated seats and HUD
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 09:00 AM   #47
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
BSkinnyM5 how long ago did you buy? I got my 13 M6 in the midst of the crazy car market in August 2021 with 42k mi, 1 owner clean carfax from the BMW dealer who sold it to the original owner with full service records from day one. Only paid $39,500 for it which I would say is worth the extra $6,600 for almost half the miles. They did an oil change, spark plugs, rear diff fluid, filters, and new front pads to prep it for the lot too. Market is declining already but I feel like I got a great car for the price.
Vorsteiner VFF-103 Carbon Graphite 343M dimensions • H&R Lowering Springs • Soul PP Resonated Muffler Delete • AeroFunction AF-1 Carbon Front Lip • Carbon Front Grilles • Carbon Mirror Caps • IND Black Fender Vents
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 08:57 PM   #48
etnsandman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition

I bought my 2015 Competition with 73k miles in 2020 for 32k and no warranty. Sadly at 81k miles the rod bearings signalled a rebuild at 14k. Since then she's been super reliable and just had maintenance items. At 106k miles now and love it so much.
Appreciate 0