BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
Lord HUMUNGUS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M5 CP, 2002 Honda S2000

Potential New (used) Owner, some Q's

Hello all. New to the forums here. As the title states, I'm in the process of buying a used 2014 M5, competition package with less than 10k miles, clean title. For all intents and purposes, this car would be a daily driver that I would use 1-2 times a week, with the occasional back road drive here and there. I met the owner and saw the car/test drove it, and from everything I observed the car seems tip/top. He provided records of maintenance from the bmw dealership as well. As far as how the car looks, drives, and feels, its as close to brand new without being brand new. It really does seem that no expense was spared for the owner as far as maintenance/care is concerned. I have all the funds lined up for the purchase/maintenance, but I have a few questions that hopefully you guys and gals can give some feedback/answers before I jump in.

1. Would you be hesitant to buy a low mileage f10 m5? I know the general rule of thumb is the lower the miles, the better for any used car. I'm assuming this holds true for the f10?

2. Is an extended warranty worth it for a car with such low mileage? I do not plan to mod the car at all (performance wise), maybe just visual modifications.

3. Anything that I should check myself on the car before purchasing?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/tips. If everything goes well, I should be a new (used) owner by the end of this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

a good exclusionary warranty is worth it *if* you can find one for a not-ridiculous price. That seems to be hard these days. That said, the car is pretty reliable, just need to treat it right.

how much oil consumption is he getting? Less of a problem with 14s on, but good to ask.

check to make sure the AC gets cold. AC compressors are known to fail on F10s in general.

how do the rotors seem? Rotors for these babies are not cheap. Might as well ask about/check pads, too.

is it smooth on a cold start?

other than that, fluid leaks are what I'd be looking for. this thing has hoses coming out of hoses coming out of hoses. Unfortunately, with that bottom splitter trey and reinforcement plate, there's a good chance one wont just see fluids on the floor, though one might be able to see residue from evaporated coolant or oil splatter.

Personally I'd just pay to get a PPI done by a reputable shop that knows M cars (or at least BMWs).
      09-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Lord HUMUNGUS
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input vafan13. I will definitely look out for those possible issues before I get the car. Fortunately for me the seller is bringing in the car to the bmw dealership tomorrow to get any work that can be done (still under full warranty until 12/2020), as well as a smog check before giving her up to me(that, in my opinion, makes me feel real secure about my possible purchase, that the seller wants to make sure everything is in working order before selling). The car is completely stock. I'm hopeful that the tech/mechanic won't find anything wrong with the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
vinsanem5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus ISF/ '16 M5

whats his asking price?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
Lord HUMUNGUS
United_States
Rep

Well, I bit the bullet last week. I'm very pleased with the purchase. As far as how much I paid, I can assure you that it was similarly priced to the average of how much used f10's are going for with higher miles, which for me was a steal with only 9k on the odometer.

Also, I bought an extended 3yr/36k mile warranty. Small price to pay for peace of mind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
M5Yams91.00
Doctor_X1158.00
Ickdeep5703.50
      10-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Congratulations and welcome!
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
Lord HUMUNGUS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Congratulations and welcome!
Thanks! While I was on the hunt for the m5, obviously I looked on YouTube to see reviews, races, etc. I remember seeing some of your vids(I think they were your vids lol) racing some top notch cars; needless to say, those vids were a small reason why I got the m5. So I guess I have to say thank you lol.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5703.50
      10-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord HUMUNGUS View Post
Well, I bit the bullet last week. I'm very pleased with the purchase. As far as how much I paid, I can assure you that it was similarly priced to the average of how much used f10's are going for with higher miles, which for me was a steal with only 9k on the odometer.

Also, I bought an extended 3yr/36k mile warranty. Small price to pay for peace of mind.
love the car, is the cars color black sapphire metallic? If so that is the same color as mine and its very interesting to see how it looks with the chrome not all blacked out
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
Lord HUMUNGUS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Yams View Post
Quote:

love the car, is the cars color black sapphire metallic? If so that is the same color as mine and its very interesting to see how it looks with the chrome not all blacked out
Indeed, it is the black sapphire metallic. At first I was pretty sure I was going to black out the grill and side vents; now I'm thinking of just blacking out the grill and leaving the side vents chrome, just to have a tiny bit of flare. As much as I love the murdered out Darth Vader look, I feel like everyone does it to their f10's (not that it's a bad thing!). The only mod that I'm thinking of doing for now is to add aftermarket wheels, possibly some BBS LM's to match my Honda s2k.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
Competition C
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: comp m5

great buy....
how do you like it >???
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Lord HUMUNGUS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatem3 View Post
great buy....
how do you like it >???
You mean how do I love it lol. So far, it's been everything I expected. Beautiful lines(obviously subjective), instant power at any rpm, comfy on the inside (gotta love the executive package!). No complaints here.

I was reading that some people feel that this car feels less connected to the road than the previous m5 models. Although I can't attest to that, seeing as I've never driven any m5 other than the f10, I can't complain. If I want to drive a nimble, light car with a manual gearbox through the twisties, I'll just take out the s2000(9k rpm with the top down = eargasm). The m5 is my semi daily driver, and it does that job perfectly. Both cars put a huge grin on my face for different reasons.

To reiterate, I absolutely love the m5.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #12
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Indeed, it is the black sapphire metallic. At first I was pretty sure I was going to black out the grill and side vents; now I'm thinking of just blacking out the grill and leaving the side vents chrome, just to have a tiny bit of flare. As much as I love the murdered out Darth Vader look, I feel like everyone does it to their f10's (not that it's a bad thing!). The only mod that I'm thinking of doing for now is to add aftermarket wheels, possibly some BBS LM's to match my Honda s2k.
well there you go. this is what it would look like blacked out lol!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #13
Lord HUMUNGUS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well there you go. this is what it would look like blacked out lol!
Stop tempting me lol. Beautiful f10 btw.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #14
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 M, 14 BMW M5

Congrats a s welcome to the club. I picked up a white one earlier in the hair
Appreciate 1