BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

100k miles oh yea

Well I finally made it to 100k on my 13 M5. So what I'm going to do is provide a small review. I bought my car December 2012 and soon after the mod bug started. The first thing I did was remove the charcoal filters and install a KN air filter. Soon after installed HR springs and then when it was the appropriate time after Dave Rpi M5 installed his catless downpipe's I installed mine with his advice. I put about 30 -40,000 miles using HR Springs and then decided to go KWV3 which was night and day difference and so much better. I did what everybody else did in the beginning by using a piggyback which we all know isn't good for your coils or plugs and then when a tune came out or what they call a tune I started off with one vendor and ended up with using Halim a.k.a. HCP. I've never had any issues with my interior of the car. Still looks fresh and smells fresh. No pillar arm noises or broken parts. I've only done 3 launch control starts when the car was brand new. No reason after that as it's a waste of my time and money. Car handles like a dream and I always enjoy the fit finish sound and power that the car has. I can race and beat many higher hp exotic cars as well as American big hp cars. Drop her pants down to 2nd and let her rip. After 85k miles I up the ante on power again and I've went from stock clutch to ssp when I was pushing 697hp and tq. But after finding out the clutch was installed wrong after burning it up I had another installed. The car had the same symptoms as the first and it burnt also. Pissed off I was I then went back to stock with a factory new already installed clutch pack and after 5k mikes zero issues of brutal driving. But before that I back my tune down to 610. All in all I'm so happy with my car and everyone who knows me know this car is still a dream to drive. If you guys take care of your car it will provide you with stress free driving. I've put new on turbos around 90k, change coils plugs all fluids. This weekend to celebrate I will go to some roads in San Antonio called the three sisters and enjoy the twisters. Safe driving you guys.

Boots

Country run
Appreciate 14
      05-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Great long term review. These type of reviews are always welcomed as long term ownership on these cars begin. Bummer on your clutch issues. Clutches are the only mod I'm stressing over as no one here in Hawaii can really install them let alone have the software to reset them.

Based on your experience where would you say the wheel horse and torque thresholds are for the stock clutches?
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
ykjones
Master Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 Signapore Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Well I finally made it to 100k on my 13 M5. So what I'm going to do is provide a small review. I bought my car December 2012 and soon after the mod bug started. The first thing I did was remove the charcoal filters and install a KN air filter. Soon after installed HR springs and then when it was the appropriate time after Dave Rpi M5 installed his catless downpipe's I installed mine with his advice. I put about 30 -40,000 miles using HR Springs and then decided to go KWV3 which was night and day difference and so much better. I did what everybody else did in the beginning by using a piggyback which we all know isn't good for your coils or plugs and then when a tune came out or what they call a tune I started off with one vendor and ended up with using Halim a.k.a. HCP. I've never had any issues with my interior of the car. Still looks fresh and smells fresh. No pillar arm noises or broken parts. I've only done 3 launch control starts when the car was brand new. No reason after that as it's a waste of my time and money. Car handles like a dream and I always enjoy the fit finish sound and power that the car has. I can race and beat many higher hp exotic cars as well as American big hp cars. Drop her pants down to 2nd and let her rip. After 85k miles I up the ante on power again and I've went from stock clutch to ssp when I was pushing 697hp and tq. But after finding out the clutch was installed wrong after burning it up I had another installed. The car had the same symptoms as the first and it burnt also. Pissed off I was I then went back to stock with a factory new already installed clutch pack and after 5k mikes zero issues of brutal driving. But before that I back my tune down to 610. All in all I'm so happy with my car and everyone who knows me know this car is still a dream to drive. If you guys take care of your car it will provide you with stress free driving. I've put new on turbos around 90k, change coils plugs all fluids. This weekend to celebrate I will go to some roads in San Antonio called the three sisters and enjoy the twisters. Safe driving you guys.

Boots
Awesome, awesome and congrats on 100k mi with very few issues at all. That is very promising. I'm coming up on my 1st year of having my F10 (53k mi now) after owning a E60 M5 for 6 years. Far less hassle than the E60! The E60 will always have a very special place in my heart but man do I love the F10! Keep on jammin'!
VF Engineering Hex Stage 1, RPI GTM Black edition, KW HAS, Dinan sway bars, Matt Schnell spacers, IND black chrome, M Performance rear spoiler, M Performance rear diffuser, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, ESS stainless steel brake lines, EBC Red Stuff ceramic pads, BMC air filters, charcoal filter delete, sprint booster, V1w/Blendmount, BIM coding all options, Pedal Haus pedals, Formula One Pinnacle Tint
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Congrats Boots!!

You may be the first on the forum to hit 100k! ?

It's like I always said, the F10 is far better engineered than the E60.

When u come to visit we'll have a cold one to celebrate and toast to another 100k!

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:56 AM   #5
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5 guy View Post
Great long term review. These type of reviews are always welcomed as long term ownership on these cars begin. Bummer on your clutch issues. Clutches are the only mod I'm stressing over as no one here in Hawaii can really install them let alone have the software to reset them.

Based on your experience where would you say the wheel horse and torque thresholds are for the stock clutches?
Thanks!

Stock Clutches are good up to around 660-670. But I also moved up on power again around 80k and after about 18 pulls on the Dyno and countless races in Mexico. I then was pushing shy of 700hp. W same tq. Yes bummer about the clutch but going back to stock confirmed my thoughts. All good though. Don't want to talk about that though but your safe to have lots of hp that you can use.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:03 AM   #6
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Thanks Ykjones. you can have a stress free car is you keep up w your maintenance and treat it like the beast it is. I respect mine and it rewarded me w smiles everywhere I go and for that I'm happy.

Thanks Dave I'll be there soon bro. Be finally good to meet you in person after all these years of chatting. I Can't wait to go back home to IB. I think on our forum I'm the first but not the first known m5 to hit 100k. I think there were two before me.

Country run
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2017, 06:06 AM   #7
Mkai0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Black

Quote:

Boots
Boots, thanks for sharing. When I get back to Texas maybe we can meet up at three sisters.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Your welcome. Yea man if you can meet up I will arrive tomorrow around 7p in the la Cantera area. Then drive on Sat around 7a on the sisters. Pm me your number for details

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Great to hear they are relatively problem free for 100k miles, bring it on.

Love to see a few pics of the interior and exterior
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #10
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

I can provide a few pics by tomorrow night

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #11
carrera2RSL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Great thanks

Just Zainod my leather and wondered how the interior held up. I am running V3 with Dinan roll bars, interested in your settings I'm F 4 rebound 2 bump and R 5 rebound and 6 bump. Still experimenting, but it's pretty dialed in now

Great to hear what settings you run
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #12
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

The Century Club, congrats my brother. She is a keeper for sure no doubt.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #13
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Awesome !! I hope to keep mine to around there as well. Can you tell us a bit more about maintenance thru out ? Also how were the stock clutches at 80k miles ? life wise.
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #14
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
...I did what everybody else did in the beginning by using a piggyback which we all know isn't good for your coils or plugs...
Sounds like you didn't use the right piggyback. Weren't the early versions pretty much just raising the boost and leaving the rest to your knock sensor?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
CitrinBlack_X
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Citrin Black

Congrats on 100K. My well loved E60 M5 of 8 years started to act up just before 100,000km (60,000mi), but was pretty much flawless before that. When idle control valves $$, ticking vanos and odd SMG behaviors began to happen I decided it was time to move up to the F10 M5. I love the F10 M5 and it has been extremely reliable and solid in the year I have owned the beast.

I have been lucky and blessed to be able to have owned four M5's (E34 to F10) and this is the first M5 that I truly enjoy as a daily driver because its so fricken comfortable and smooth in traffic yet insanely fast. The F10 would simply leave my E60 for dead in a serious way but without drama except for the copious amounts of wheelspin in 1st gear

When I had my E60 M5, I thought this F10 M5 was fat and WTF ? turbos? pfffffft I would never own that POS, yeah I am eating my words but I've said every time before I moved on into the next gen M5. Ok M cars continue to get bigger but they have gotten better imho. Sure its a big mama of a beast but I have never purchased an M5 thinking It was going to be a light track star. There is the M3 or other cars for that purpose.

Bring on the F90 M5 I say but for now I am still thoroughly infatuated with my F10 M5 beast!

Retired: E60 M5 Sapphire Black, E39 M5 Black, E34 M5 Black
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #16
bmwdinan5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dinan5

Did you have an extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #17
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdinan5 View Post
Valid question
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #18
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera2RSL View Post
Great thanks

Just Zainod my leather and wondered how the interior held up. I am running V3 with Dinan roll bars, interested in your settings I'm F 4 rebound 2 bump and R 5 rebound and 6 bump. Still experimenting, but it's pretty dialed in now

Great to hear what settings you run
I will get you the settings. But don't know off the top of my head. I wrote them down as I've tried about three settings

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #19
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
The Century Club, congrats my brother. She is a keeper for sure no doubt.
Thanks Vic. I'll be there before years end to see you and Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550Reasons View Post
Awesome !! I hope to keep mine to around there as well. Can you tell us a bit more about maintenance thru out ? Also how were the stock clutches at 80k miles ? life wise.
I just kept up w the general schedule. Replaced things as I saw it. But I changed my oil more as I really drive this thing and race a lot. Nothing I did out of the ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
Quote:
...I did what everybody else did in the beginning by using a piggyback which we all know isn't good for your coils or plugs...
Sounds like you didn't use the right piggyback. Weren't the early versions pretty much just raising the boost and leaving the rest to your knock sensor?
No my piggy was a good one. It was the Bms and I liked it. But it's no substitute for a "tune". But they are hard on coils. My opinion

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #20
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdinan5 View Post
Yup I had purchased mine at 45000 miles so I was covered. BMW Plantinum

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #21
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrinBlack_X View Post
Congrats on 100K. My well loved E60 M5 of 8 years started to act up just before 100,000km (60,000mi), but was pretty much flawless before that. When idle control valves $$, ticking vanos and odd SMG behaviors began to happen I decided it was time to move up to the F10 M5. I love the F10 M5 and it has been extremely reliable and solid in the year I have owned the beast.

I have been lucky and blessed to be able to have owned four M5's (E34 to F10) and this is the first M5 that I truly enjoy as a daily driver because its so fricken comfortable and smooth in traffic yet insanely fast. The F10 would simply leave my E60 for dead in a serious way but without drama except for the copious amounts of wheelspin in 1st gear

When I had my E60 M5, I thought this F10 M5 was fat and WTF ? turbos? pfffffft I would never own that POS, yeah I am eating my words but I've said every time before I moved on into the next gen M5. Ok M cars continue to get bigger but they have gotten better imho. Sure its a big mama of a beast but I have never purchased an M5 thinking It was going to be a light track star. There is the M3 or other cars for that purpose.

Bring on the F90 M5 I say but for now I am still thoroughly infatuated with my F10 M5 beast!
That's good news bro. Yes both cars are night and day. I had the e60 550 and it was a good one for me. I waited for this one to come out but drive the m5 many times. F10 m5 rocks

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #22
nabizzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M LBB

No warranty issues with your tune?

Surprised the stock clutches can hold that power. I know how hard you drive your car.

Good stuff man.

Cheers
2019 Audi Q8
Appreciate 0