BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #23
thef10m5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5

One big piece of advice from personal experience - try to get a 2014 or later model. Avoid the earlier 2013's pre-refresh. I leased a 2013 then later bought a 2014 and there's a definite improvement in reliability. Neither model was/is my daily driver. My 2013 was a 50/50 daily driver - I had a VW CC that I drove to work & the M5 was for everything else but let me tell you - the 2013 M5 drank oil like crazy. I was getting low oil warning readings regularly and had to add a quart of oil every 2K miles. In year 3 my turbos broke - luckily covered under warranty but that was a $20K replacement bill that would've killed me. My 2014 by contrast has been trouble free. Not once have I had a low oil warning. I've done some mods like adding a Meisterschaft exhaust + downpipes, BM3 S2 tune (removed later for personal preference reasons). I cracked my charge pipes because after I added the downpipes and tune, I was an idiot and revved the car super hard on a cold start to impress some people but that was 100% on me. Otherwise the 2014 model has been bullet proof. I take the car out for weekend drives and love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #24
S_CDSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 650 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I bought the first one I saw just 10 miles from me luckily in the colour, spec and wheels I wanted with 25k miles, now on nearly 38k. Most important thing is the engine rather than what accessories are on it, night vision, lane change,especially comfort entry can be annoying and expensive to fix if they go wrong and some b&0 amplifiers have expired .Comfort seats and split/fold rears are more important to me.
It's not unusual for these rapid cars having quite a few owners as after a couple years some owners hanker for a change due to the nature of the car and want to pay less for servicing, repairs and insurance etc.
Me X100. Sold mine, wasnt just expense, i never knew what else the car was going to need. But yes they are pricey as hell to maintain. Just rotors are like $1,200. If i had to buy again it would be a 2014+ with comp package. Better built car then the 2013's for sure. As these cars age you'll see them go through a few owners and often times people get tired of the expensive maintenance and pricey parts going out so they dump them off into new hands.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #25
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_CDSM5 View Post
Me X100. Sold mine, wasnt just expense, i never knew what else the car was going to need. But yes they are pricey as hell to maintain. Just rotors are like $1,200. If i had to buy again it would be a 2014+ with comp package. Better built car then the 2013's for sure. As these cars age you'll see them go through a few owners and often times people get tired of the expensive maintenance and pricey parts going out so they dump them off into new hands.
I go into city a lot and prefer the more comfy standard sprung to deal with humps and bad roads,definitely no front splitter on mine! Had it over 3 years and no big problems, build quality is spot on so could be larger US market had rushed production line? idk. 37k and still on the original brake discs holding up fine just sailed through the yearly test at BMW. The only thing that ps me off is the rip off yearly road tax the gov. puts on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #26
harry.singhM5
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I ended up picking one up from the auction. It had been sitting for almost a year (recovered theft) and needed a few parts to get it fully running again. Overall, it depends on you. I don't care much for resale and plan on keeping the car, hence why I went the auction route. It does also depend on your financial situation!
      11-14-2020, 09:55 PM   #27
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

13s are not so good. oil pump, fuel pump, turbo line leaks, valves freeze, bearings go out. burn 1qt oil per 1k miles. 0w-30 isnt good oil for it, and bmw started using it in 15/16 i think.

But if you're lucky and find one somebody cared about and put 5w40 in it every 3000 miles instead of 0w30 oil every 10k miles is an important thing too.

it really is a gamble

I believe you can tell how much someone cared about it by the condition of the interior.

Nice lci's are over 40grand though. the values actually not changed in 2 years. LCi, led's, and mileage is king for the value, then color & condition.

nobody wants the pre LCi. bc of the issues, the old headlights, and the very ugly steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #28
calicolorado
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp 6-spd

Garage List
2015 BMW M5   [0.00]
1972 BMW 200/  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
If you buy one, you will love it. Absolutely spectacular car in every way. Buy the newest one you can afford, but should you find a really clean and lived early car don't pass it up either. The above poster mentioned interior condition being an indicator of how it was treated-very true statement IMO.
2011 Highlander 4WD
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #29
selo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 740Lixdrive

..... And the front air dam. If you can find a car with miles on it that has a front air dam in good shape, that's a careful owner and a well cared-for car. A car with less miles but a front air dam that looks like crap..... not the kind of owner to buy a car from.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #30
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 M, 14 BMW M5

I got my 14 with 40kish on the clock for 30k in May. A few chips in the paint but no deal breakers. DCT, B&O, comfort access, competition package and I was able to code in the antidazzle feature they disabled......I absolutely love my car. I only did a muffler delete and a few appearance mods. I'm probably gonna sell it after about a year or 2.......I want to flash it but I don't want to be on the hook for engine repairs. I may look into a F90 or get CTSV3 and call it a day. Awesome car though.....if it wasn't for fear of breaking and repairing something I would've flashed it, wheels etc.

I barely drive my car as is so it feels plenty fast to me.
Appreciate 0