BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

Please help.

Need help. Driving on highway with 2014 M5. Car was spuddering when hitting throttle. Smoke started coming out out exhaust pipes. Pulled over on side of the road. No codes or alerts on car has come up. Smells like gas / oil in exhaust as well as inside the car. Car just hit 40k miles
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
The Dane
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2015 m5 cp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speenybean View Post
Need help. Driving on highway with 2014 M5. Car was spuddering when hitting throttle. Smoke started coming out out exhaust pipes. Pulled over on side of the road. No codes or alerts on car has come up. Smells like gas / oil in exhaust as well as inside the car. Car just hit 40k miles
No time for guess work by random strangers on the internet, get the car to the repair shop ASAP
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Summing up from what you say it looks like a stuck open injector.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
You think so?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #5
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You think so?
Well obviously no one can know for sure but does sound like an injector. On a positive note they extended the HPFP and injectors warranty to 10 year 100k miles on these so as long as you are not tuned you might just get it covered!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Yams View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You think so?
Well obviously no one can know for sure but does sound like an injector. On a positive note they extended the HPFP and injectors warranty to 10 year 100k miles on these so as long as you are not tuned you might just get it covered!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Yams View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You think so?
I am tuned.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:41 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

^ Have the engine oil changed also when they fix it as there will probably be gas in the oil.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #8
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sounds like it could be a stuck injector, as mentioned. I would NOT run the engine again until it's looked at. If a cylinder is filled with fuel now and you try to start it, you might bend a rod.

If it is an injector, what "M5theonlyone" stated is super important. Make sure the engine oil is changed!
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #9
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Sounds like it could be a stuck injector, as mentioned. I would NOT run the engine again until it's looked at. If a cylinder is filled with fuel now and you try to start it, you might bend a rod.

If it is an injector, what "M5theonlyone" stated is super important. Make sure the engine oil is changed!
Quote:

Will the plugs need to be changed to alongside the engine oil?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep

^ I would say it's a good idea to change the plugs when the car is being worked on in that specific area.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
^ I would say it's a good idea to change the plugs when the car is being worked on in that specific area.
I second this. The plugs are right next to the injectors and are super easy to change at that point.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #12
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The indy seems to think it's the fuel pump. Does this sound right? Could that cause the issues I explained
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #13
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I second this. The plugs are right next to the injectors and are super easy to change at that point.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The indy seems to think it's the fuel pump. Does this sound right? Could that cause the issues I explained
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #14
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
It's certainly possible the high pressure pump has an issue? Without diagnosing the car in person we can only speculate. The tech sounds like they're on the right track, suspecting a fueling issue. You're going to have to trust their judgement.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #15
M5Rick
General
Rep

HPFP failure would cause engine to shut down immediately with no fuel pressure I would have thought with no gas smell or black smoke, but as ''technician117'' has said let them burrow around there and test the pump if it's up to scratch.
Keep us informed.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #16
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's certainly possible the high pressure pump has an issue? Without diagnosing the car in person we can only speculate. The tech sounds like they're on the right track, suspecting a fueling issue. You're going to have to trust their judgement.

Good luck
Quote:

Good luck
I guess what I'm wondering is how would the hpfp failing cause an influx of fuel into the cylinder and create such a strong gas smell and black smoke out of the exhaust.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58412.50
      10-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #17
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
HPFP failure would cause engine to shut down immediately with no fuel pressure I would have thought with no gas smell or black smoke, but as ''technician117'' has said let them burrow around there and test the pump if it's up to scratch.
Keep us informed.
Quote:
Keep us informed.
I forgot to mention...on the day that this even happened, for the first time since owning my car I went through an automatic car wash. I have front mount intakes and I'm now wondering could the pressurized water from the car wash being sprayed into the front of my car have cause something like this to happen? Fml
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #18
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Good luck
Quote:
Keep us informed.
[QUOTE=technician117;26816015]It's certainly possible the high pressure pump has an issue? Without diagnosing the car in person we can only speculate. The tech sounds like they're on the right track, suspecting a fueling issue. You're going to have to trust their I

forgot to mention...on the day that this even happened, for the first time since owning my car I went through an automatic car wash. I have front mount intakes and I'm now wondering could the pressurized water from the car wash being sprayed into the front of my car have cause something like this to happen? Fml
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #19
M5Rick
General
Rep

[QUOTE=Speenybean;26816129]
Quote:
It's certainly possible the high pressure pump has an issue? Without diagnosing the car in person we can only speculate. The tech sounds like they're on the right track, suspecting a fueling issue. You're going to have to trust their I

forgot to mention...on the day that this even happened, for the first time since owning my car I went through an automatic car wash. I have front mount intakes and I'm now wondering could the pressurized water from the car wash being sprayed into the front of my car have cause something like this to happen? Fml
I've always worried about those 'at the front intakes' but it could be just a coincidence that it happened at that time and if the car was at speed in heavy rain then it would be similar situation with throttle sucking in air more so I doubt it. Just have to probe at it
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #20
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=M5theonlyone;26816188]
Quote:
Quote:
It's certainly possible the high pressure pump has an issue? Without diagnosing the car in person we can only speculate. The tech sounds like they're on the right track, suspecting a fueling issue. You're going to have to trust their I

I've always worried about those 'at the front intakes' but it could be just a coincidence that it happened at that time and if the car was at speed in heavy rain then it would be similar situation with throttle sucking in air more so I doubt it. Just have to probe at it
[QUOTE=M5theonlyone;26816188]
Quote:
Quote:

Yea it's just crazy that this happened on the same exact day that I took my car to the car wash for the first time ever
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #21
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

I personally go through auto carwashes with front mount intakes and haven't had an issue, I use oiled paper filters not the steel mesh kind though. have had no issues so far. pluss you would probably had a white puff of smoke.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #22
M5Rick
General
Rep

[QUOTE=Speenybean;26816215][QUOTE=M5theonlyone;26816188]
Quote:

Yea it's just crazy that this happened on the same exact day that I took my car to the car wash for the first time ever
Myself and many more on here wash their own cars with selected products,I wouldn't even dream of putting it through an auto wash.
Appreciate 0