BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C4S

Can't decide: New X5M or 14 Cayenne Turbo S

Currently driving a RR Sport SC with Dynamic. I've read all the threads and agree and disagree with a lot that had been written. It's been a great car for almost 2 years. Not one problem with the car and been enjoyable. Infotainment/NAV system needs help and its a lux cruiser with a lot of "truck" in it and light on sport. Regardless, I've really enjoyed it and actually a bit attached to it. It's white with black roof, 22s and natural basketball interior...

But, I would like a little more (okay a lot more) sport in my SUV. I had a 2012 X5M for 40K miles... loved it. Hit from behind pretty hard and sold it not too long after the wreck. I've tested the new X5M and CTTS and quite frankly they both have pros and cons... both awesome obviously.... both same price at moment but brand new v. slightly used (6-10K miles). The CTTS felt smaller and lighter to me. I think I prefer the looks of the CTTS as it's a bit smoother all around. The tech in the M is amazing, new is new and there is something about it that I am drawn to... Cayenne a bit long in the tooth... been around a while.

So there it is.... I'm ready for a change but can't decide.

Please do not think I am bashing the M in anyway. Quite the opposite. Amazing car for the price... great car, great value, maintenance included, etc.

But the P car has a draw too... opinions welcome. Pros and cons... the lack of winter package is a prob too.

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I find the Cayenne cramped and BMW tech blows porsche away. Im a HUGE porsche fan too, so dont think Im biased. On my 3rd GT3 and have had turbos in the past as well. Almost bout a Cayenne GTS a few years ago but passed for the reasons mentioned above.
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Having a Cayenne GTS in the family and me owning the X5M, I have to say BMW takes the cake! From comfort to power delivery the X5M is the clear winner.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #4
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

The value just isnt there for me with the porsche suvs. Technology is lacking, too. Plus it shares a platform with VW, so are cayenne drivers getting a VW, or are VW drivers getting a porsche?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
AlexLou1222
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M 2014 X1

Only thing is the Porsche is long in the tooth, the fact it's used won't get my attention, IMO
      01-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the responses so far and pretty much what I expected on a BMW forum.. I agree the ride on the prior X5M was too hard. Hoping the new one much better. I don't recall an issue the first time I tested it last month...

The value prop is certainly in BMW's favor but I can get the CTTS for 95-100K so it will actually be less than the BMW including CPO... I'm going to drive the M again tomorrow to get some more seat time.

I've read opinions on the ride of the current X5M... any further thoughts? I am not looking for a teeth rattling ride.. is the M compliant in comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
Gamerguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Just went through the same process back and forth on which suv, plus throw in the svr too!

I just took delivery of my X5M last weekend...I was comparing a 2015 executive demo CTTS.

The turbo s was great and I was expecting to be blown away and make it a no brainier but I wasn't personally. I've had both BMW's and Porsches and after I drove the CTTS I said to myself when I get another Porsche its going to be a Porsche, another 911 s probably!

The x5m is in my opinion the best performance suv all around when considering all factors. Either way we are all fortunate in life to have such "tough" decisions so you can't go wrong with either one really, new vs. used at the end of the day...

Bottom line, you'll enjoy either one!
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_s
Thanks for the responses so far and pretty much what I expected on a BMW forum.. I agree the ride on the prior X5M was too hard. Hoping the new one much better. I don't recall an issue the first time I tested it last month...

The value prop is certainly in BMW's favor but I can get the CTTS for 95-100K so it will actually be less than the BMW including CPO... I'm going to drive the M again tomorrow to get some more seat time.

I've read opinions on the ride of the current X5M... any further thoughts? I am not looking for a teeth rattling ride.. is the M compliant in comfort mode?
Very true! Your on a BMW Forum so it will be very strong opinionated towards the X5M! Lmao, but in reality they are all right! No way the Porsche keeps up successfully with the X5M. It's truly a awesome Super SUV! If your looking to get a great deal, I'm in CNJ and I'm selling mine since I ordered a 991 Turbo S, if your interested please go to the Owners For Sale section and look at the listing I have up if your looking at saving $$$$. It's listed for $92,000 with lots of extras.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #9
tastelid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_s View Post

I don't find the ride teeth rattling at all, in any mode. But my other car is the i3, and that is a fairly stiff ride, so maybe I am just used to it. I like the firmness; better than bouncing all over the place.
      01-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
robbys3m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
Having a Cayenne GTS in the family and me owning the X5M, I have to say BMW takes the cake! From comfort to power delivery the X5M is the clear winner.
X2..we had Gts and I'm preferring the x5and more and more every day
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #11
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I was in the same issue when purchasing my 15 x5m but looking at turbo not S. Price point on the S didn't make any sense at all.

I was pretty much set on a lower optioned turbo with a deep discount until I drove the x5m. I was never a fan of the f15 looks and although the f85 looks better there are still angles that don't compliment. Once driven it completely confused my decision. The M felt faster, more nimble, tech was awesome and had every option that I wanted and still overall cheaper than the turbo.

The low optioned turbo was no frills and looked like a S. I would have had to spent several thousands on wheels, body kits etc to make it look they way I wanted. The numbers did not make sense. It was a overall hard decision in the end. Both cars are excellent but it came down to best bang for the buck for me. I hold my cars for a very short term and move on. The M is definitely faster and handles better. That being said this his compared to a turbo. If money was no object it would be a very hard decision with all the bells the turbo S has. But for an extra 50-60k I would dump that I to go fast mods in the M
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #12
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_s View Post

You're right... the ride on the previous generation was BRUTAL. I had a 2013. Ended up handing it off to the wife after year because I couldnt take it anymore. Then, she got a 2014 F15 and I was amazed at the difference in the ride from the 2013 M. Obviously the M had stiffer suspension, but I hoped that improved ride would translate into the F85 as well.

I can say with 100% certainty that the ride has DRASTICALLY improved over the E70, even with 21"s. I test drove it 3 times just to make sure I was convinced, and I am!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:01 AM   #13
Serge944
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 650S, '17 Macan T

I'm also a big Porsche fan (on my 3rd GT3), and was originally looking at picking up a used Cayenne GTS. A friend recommended the X5M…one test drive and it was a done deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:37 AM   #14
AlexLou1222
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M 2014 X1

I'm in a 13' 750 and 09' 750li prior to my M, only the first day I thought the ride is but stiffer than my 7s, but I get used to it in no time and like it better, I actually drive in sport mode all the time now.

Last edited by AlexLou1222; 01-18-2016 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 04:57 AM   #15
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
I was in the same issue when purchasing my 15 x5m but looking at turbo not S. Price point on the S didn't make any sense at all.

I was pretty much set on a lower optioned turbo with a deep discount until I drove the x5m. I was never a fan of the f15 looks and although the f85 looks better there are still angles that don't compliment. Once driven it completely confused my decision. The M felt faster, more nimble, tech was awesome and had every option that I wanted and still overall cheaper than the turbo.

The low optioned turbo was no frills and looked like a S. I would have had to spent several thousands on wheels, body kits etc to make it look they way I wanted. The numbers did not make sense. It was a overall hard decision in the end. Both cars are excellent but it came down to best bang for the buck for me. I hold my cars for a very short term and move on. The M is definitely faster and handles better. That being said this his compared to a turbo. If money was no object it would be a very hard decision with all the bells the turbo S has. But for an extra 50-60k I would dump that I to go fast mods in the M
The turbo s is actually less now. Preowned of course... I'm looking at 14's. The 16's are 160+. Not even remotely in the ball park. There are a few very low mileage 14's and even a few news ones (2014) around.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #16
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post

The turbo s is actually less now. Preowned of course... I'm looking at 14's. The 16's are 160+. Not even remotely in the ball park. There are a few very low mileage 14's and even a few news ones (2014) around.
Give a few months- used F85s will be even cheaper than used a Cayenne (and still better).

FWIW- I didn't consider the Cayenne Turbo S as I just can't not see Toureg, but I did consider a RRS SVR. I wanted very much to like it as I would have liked a more premium monicker at this price point... but the X5M proved technically superior (inside and out). The price difference only made the decision easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #17
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

If you had the E70 X5M, you will love the F85 X5M. The new chassis is more rigid, lighter, and quieter compared to the E70. Paired with a more powerful motor and better suspension, it's a sledge hammer on the straight and handles like it's on rails.

It's a bonus that maintenance are free until 50k miles.

IMO, the lines of the Cayenne is not masculine for an SUV. Too girly for my taste.

The lines for all BMWs are masculine and timeless, just like a 911. An old 911 or BMW will always turn heads. An old Cayenne and Audi though, not the same.

Performance of the X5M is unmatched by any SUV out there, which is also a bonus. The 2017 Cayenne Turbo S will try to match the X5M's acceleration, but we'll see.
      01-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #18
str8line
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, X6, X5, X1, i3, X6M, 911

Both really nice but I was surprised at the performance difference between the two. With a professional driver behind the wheel the X6M beat the Cayenne. Check out this surprising comparison from Motor Trend:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/x6-m-...yenne-turbo-s/
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #19
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8line View Post
Both really nice but I was surprised at the massive performance difference between the two. The braking numbers aren't even close and with a professional driver behind the wheel the X6M crushed the Cayenne. Check out this surprising comparison from Motor Trend:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/x6-m-...yenne-turbo-s/
Yep... 0-60 in 3.7s, 60-0 in 105ft, lateral acceleration is .98g. In efficient and comfort mode, it is Godzilla wearing sheep clothing. It drives smooth like a 7 series when Sport and Sport+ aren't engaged.
      01-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #20
str8line
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, X6, X5, X1, i3, X6M, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Yep... 0-60 in 3.7s, 60-0 in 105ft, lateral acceleration is .98g. In efficient and comfort mode, it is Godzilla wearing sheep clothing. It drives smooth like a 7 series with Sport and Sport+ aren't engaged.
I actually edited my post because I was going off memory and it was the RR Sport that had terrible braking numbers in comparison. Still, 2 seconds over the Cayenne with a professional driver on a 2.4 mile track is considerable.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #21
tastelid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
The 2017 Cayenne Turbo S will try to match the X5M's acceleration, but we'll see.
And for only $50k more!

I would love to own a Porsche, but not a Cayenne, Macan, or Panamera. I want a Porsche.
      01-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #22
Michael_s
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I can get a 2016 X5M..... I built car 113,295..... 104,100 price to me. Seems like a fair deal.... I didn't even push it.
Appreciate 0