Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #23
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
who is drilling the DME these days ?? everyone unlocking the DME by OBD2 now, you have alot of wrong information and i think you want to pay $3-5k for a tune, go ahead and share logs and vbox times lets see your special tune
Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #24
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
incorrect gaps can lead to misfires yea 100% or maaaybe a lean code or other things idk everything

but thats not whats blowing motors..

I believe that incorrect gaps can cause a problem with these engines. I only suspect this after watching this 'Engineering Explained' video on super knock destroying modern engines.

https://youtu.be/LgNf5GaR73A
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #25
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
who is drilling the DME these days ?? everyone unlocking the DME by OBD2 now, you have alot of wrong information and i think you want to pay $3-5k for a tune, go ahead and share logs and vbox times lets see your special tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
You clearly have no idea about tuning, you come on here posting about how BM3 are responsible for blowing engines and in reality don’t even know the basics.

If I was you I would sell the M5 and buy a bicycle
tisk tisk.. basic knowledge is that prior to obd2 belng possible dme's had to be drilled into.
my question clearly implies that i know at least that much.....

i was just curious. i dont assume i know everything, and i dont close my mind off from empirical data.

vehemently denying bm3 could be a culprit is laughable.. its a major variable. as any tune is..

let me just pretend all these posts that say "my engine blew, i was running bm3" dont exist

im not writing them.. ive simply said "hey ive noticed a pattern."
and then offered up more than one hypothesis as to why it may be and what i think
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 11:59 PM   #26
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
You clearly have no idea about tuning, you come on here posting about how BM3 are responsible for blowing engines and in reality don’t even know the basics.

If I was you I would sell the M5 and buy a bicycle
great thing though is that you are a noob.. just a year ago u were asking novice questions about tuning and bm3

and you are bias bc u either have bm3 by now or you have been wanting it..

BUT you yourself even complain about how bm3 doesnt show power increases.. hmmm... NOT FISHY AT ALL! .....you pointed it out yourself!!

you betray your own intuition
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 12:20 AM   #27
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
must suck to have to be on m5 boards since theres no support for the m6 bc theyre only driven by women..

youre the guy in your group of friends that brags about how cheap he gets shit arent you

m interior trim kit for our car-$3500
m rear diffuser- $1000
m carbon tips $1200
front lips $1k-3k
intakes $1500-3500
exhausts $3500-8000

new program that RUNS THE ENGINE- hmmm im gonna get the cheapest one that hides its power increase data -$900

you can get $300 downpipes too, but i wouldnt.
my $1300 meisterschaft ones are the shit. not thin gauge metal, beautiful and no o2 thread issues or fitment issues like youll get with the vrsf downpipes from ebay 9/10 times

and in response to your asking to share logs and vbox times id get with my $3500 tune so u can show a quicker time from a lower price point tune....
"congrats?"
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #28
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I believe that incorrect gaps can cause a problem with these engines. I only suspect this after watching this 'Engineering Explained' video on super knock destroying modern engines.

👍🏻 ok so correct gap is crucial.. and that gap is ?... spell it out for ppl
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 12:32 AM   #29
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
👍🏻 ok so correct gap is crucial.. and that gap is ?... spell it out for ppl
I would venture to say that the gap should stay stock.

I didn't have bm3, but a Dinan piggy when my engine went. Unknowingly, I gapped my plugs down to what the bm3 guys used when I performed spark plug maintenance. It went boom afterwards. I don't know if that was the culprit for sure, but something eats me up just thinking about it.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      08-11-2019, 04:20 AM   #30
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
great thing though is that you are a noob.. just a year ago u were asking novice questions about tuning and bm3

and you are bias bc u either have bm3 by now or you have been wanting it..

BUT you yourself even complain about how bm3 doesnt show power increases.. hmmm... NOT FISHY AT ALL! .....you pointed it out yourself!!

you betray your own intuition
I was asking questions about a new method of tuning, at the time (a year ago) information was not as easy to get. I know quite a bit about tuning.

Last edited by OneExtra; 08-19-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 06:05 AM   #31
Pikey Motorsports
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
must suck to have to be on m5 boards since theres no support for the m6 bc theyre only driven by women..

youre the guy in your group of friends that brags about how cheap he gets shit arent you

m rear diffuser- $1000
m carbon tips $1200
front lips $1k-3k
intakes $1500-3500
exhausts $3500-8000

new program that RUNS THE ENGINE- hmmm im gonna get the cheapest one that hides its power increase data -$900

my $1300 meisterschaft ones are the shit. not thin gauge metal, beautiful and no o2 thread issues or fitment issues like youll get with the vrsf downpipes from ebay 9/10 times

and in response to your asking to share logs and vbox times id get with my $3500 tune so u can show a quicker time from a lower price point tune....
"congrats?"

You have sharply become the disliked guy around here over the past month or 2

Time to move on I think maybe join a Facebook group

Last edited by Pikey Motorsports; 08-11-2019 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 3
OneExtra809.50
FSociety3810.00
      08-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #32
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Motorsports View Post

Hey Bo! if being the antichrist of an online forum is my biggest problem in life, then im doing good!

Also, Socrates was the most enlightened man in Athens, and they made that fucker drink hemlock all bc he made all the leaders look like fools by simply asking introspective questions.

so the root of your annoyance is engrained in your dna, as it is with most of the population

Furthermore, u know the bm3 guys on a first name basis, so that deems you bias and your opinion suspect

LET ME REITERATE: i am trying to group incidences together. probability&statistics come from a real place, just like stereotypes. Might not always be 100% accurate but more often than not, they are.

and i am doing it out of the love for this motor and would like to help people out if they are trying to find pertinent info
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #33
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I would venture to say that the gap should stay stock.

I didn't have bm3, but a Dinan piggy when my engine went. Unknowingly, I gapped my plugs down to what the bm3 guys used when I performed spark plug maintenance. It went boom afterwards. I don't know if that was the culprit for sure, but something eats me up just thinking about it.

FIRST OFF- that sucks your engine blew up! and ive heard of dinan being on a blown motor too. like twice, u were prob 1.. not as common, BUT you just had to throw in that you copied a BM3 protocol didn't you?! lol.

I finally got time to watch the video.. very interesting stuff. a great share. thank you

i did mention in my original post that guys with no tunes and a blown motor admitted abusing it, driving it hot, etc
and i do know that the downpipes run close to rear cylinders(or crossbank for cyl 5&6.. when one jumps its usually a cylinder near the 'back' of the motor near DP's (correct me where im wrong) and seems like i always see or hear of cyl 5 or 6 blowing out.

so a hot spot from dp perhaps, or hot spot in cyl created from running it hard and hot will cause an ignition during compression stroke, and whenever, yea sounds very detrimental

MORAL OF STORY: keep the baby cool.
I do know bmw def wants This motor to stay cool because it has a very good cooling system and US spec cars get something called 'hot climate pkg' (somebody tell us what exactly extra we get for cooling purposes with that)

i wont even drive in weather over 80°F i love it so much(borderline unhealthy lol)

i was gonna go Dinan at first, but thanks to this forum i found true unbiased info about it and i Decided I didn't want a piggyback tune bc that simply 'tricks' the ecu and I really didn't like that because my previous dinantune on a previous car was a flash. it was awesome, and i also didnt want to run wires and plugs. it looked like a PITAS.

more and more everyday im thinking about just getting cold start and CEL from downpipes coded out and just leaving the ecu stock

bc id rather have this thing 4 years at 600hp than 800hp for 4 months
but my plan is to keep it forever or until its very outdated if it never becomes sought after. so i probly should leave it stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #34
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:

MORAL OF STORY: keep the baby cool.

No, the moral of story should be: Don't correlate forum posts to derive an exaggerated claim. There is no basis to single out bm3 and link that tune to blown motors, when in reality these engines are blowing all over the place.
Appreciate 3
FSociety3810.00
kong24680252.00
      08-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #35
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Because BM3 is so affordable it can be a first choice for many people. This increases the number of BM3 cars on the road compared to other tunes.

Imagine dinan was affordable like BM3, everybody would go for that. Then we would see many dinan cars going bang.

The engines are only really safe at stage 1, any more and you're running the risk of rods bending etc due to higher torque output, this doesn't mean the engine can't handle it, just increases risks. Keeping torque down in the tunes will reduce the risks. I'm sure the higher power OTS maps available, are made for people that plan on running alongside forged internals etc. Its down to the user to decide whether they have the supporting mods to make it reliable.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #36
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Exactly this, Stage 1 and sensible maintenance and empathy towards the engine when cold should mean the car is reliable for many years

Last edited by OneExtra; 08-19-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #37
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

No tune on mine and never has been.My take on this as OneExtra suggests is getting the engine up to normal oil temp sensibly and is imperative to long engine life.High outside ambient temperatures and constant full boost operation can test your oil to the maximum and certainly the higher the tune means more common sense should be taken when 'gunning it'. Full throttle in manual mode when moving in low gear is a definite no and should never be used. There are also the types, makes and grades of oils used and it's suitability in different climates which has been discussed here exhaustively, just use the one recommended by BMW in your country with the correct specifications.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #38
Rennyk.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Motorsports View Post
Quote:

m rear diffuser- $1000
m carbon tips $1200
front lips $1k-3k
intakes $1500-3500
exhausts $3500-8000

"congrats?"

There's no point in responding to this guy. He's an absolute clown.
      08-12-2019, 12:49 AM   #39
edysinger
I Calibrate Engines
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 IB/CL

1. Any tool that allows you to adjust beyond the limits of the engine is a risk.
2. Any "tuner" creating a tune without comprehending knock, boost levels, SPI, engine warmup,mechanical limits and other factors is a risk to customers and their engines.

My suggestions
1. Use reputable tuners
2. Get a custom tune specifically for your car
3. Allow your engine to adapt before going WOT with a tune
4. Allow vehicle to fully warmup before going WOT
5. Use SN+ oil to reduce the likely hood of SPI
6. Gap plugs correctly
7. Use good fuel brands

What the concensus should form on this forum is the safe power level is for the stock internals and anything higher should require hardware changes (which tuners should be notifying customers of this information, imo).
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 05:14 AM   #40
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Well whats the motor rated from factory? 550hp? In reality its more like 600hp
Id suggest 10-15% buffer is safe so 700engije hp
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #41
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Well whats the motor rated from factory? 550hp? In reality its more like 600hp
Id suggest 10-15% buffer is safe so 700engije hp
As has been mentioned, Stage 1 should be a safe tune from most reputable tuners, issues can start on Stage 2 but it all depends on many other factors.

I would say that 670bhp & 650ft/lbs at the wheels would be a happy place to be
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 05:04 AM   #42
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Bhp not possible at the wheels
Thats from the flywheel
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #43
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennyk. View Post
You ignored your own advice. who is the clown? lol

my rep higher than yours and youre obviously not very reputable bc someone has left insults on your profile page, bud
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #44
Rennyk.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennyk. View Post
You ignored your own advice. who is the clown? lol

my rep higher than yours and youre obviously not very reputable bc someone has left insults on your profile page, bud
It's amazing that the mods of this forum let you spread baseless lies about a company you seem to know nothing about other then the price of buying in. You cause so much drama on this forum, you don't provide any type of insight on anything, and bash other people left and right.

Go be a forum warrior somewhere else.
FSociety3810.00