Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1424 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passi-M5 View Post
Hello everyone, the car was at my dealer for 5 days and they were in contact with Munich. Sound recordings have been made and some tests have been carried out and step-by-step instructions have been followed. It has led to nothing and is classified as normal. The problem is not known in Munich.
Hey any update on this?
As already mentioned, my BMW dealer and M GmbH said the noise was normal. I did some research myself and found that this noise comes from the viscous gear oil. The oil is pushed through the filter which causes noise in colder temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #24
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
As already mentioned, my BMW dealer and M GmbH said the noise was normal. I did some research myself and found that this noise comes from the viscous gear oil. The oil is pushed through the filter which causes noise in colder temperatures.
Which is what I said but people decided to ignore my posts.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      04-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #25
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
A re-adaptation and relearn must be done after fluid change...maybe part of the issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #26
Passi-M5
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
A re-adaptation and relearn must be done after fluid change...maybe part of the issue?
do you have a manual / description for this process (ISTA+)?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #27
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
lol u dont read
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #28
///M_life
Private
Rep
Drives: M6, X5

Quote:
Hello everyone, I have a gear noise of 2500-1500 rpm

It sounds like a buzz / whir

Did someone already have that?

Never heard that before, mine makes a sound underneath the car like a sucking/slurping sound which sounds like its the flywheel or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #29
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I'll chime in here as I have some insight to this.

I have heard this sound on my M5 too, only when cold, but, the sound was also there to an extent all the time, I heard this when driving with windows down and had a wall on one side of the car.

BMW is right, this is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

Dwaynos is also right.

I immediately recognized this sound when I heard it on my own car as air in hydraulic fluid being forced through a tight orifice.

Just so you know that I'm not pulling something out of my ass, I am an Aircraft tech with 10 years work experience on commercial aircrafts, for the past 14 years I have worked in the oil industry. I have commissioned a vast number of big heavy hydraulic equipment on many on/offshore oil rigs. I currently work in management with responsibilities for upgrades on Drilling rigs.
Yeah, I'm getting old

Ask any hydraulics tech about this sound and he will say that this is caused by oil with trapped air passing through a tight orifice, in this case a filter.

Think about it, you car has sat for a while and the oil has drained to the bottom of the oil sump and is cold.
You start up the car and start circulating this cold oil around the gearbox, the low viscous oil is trapping air inside it from the drained areas of the gearbox, air that cannot easily escape from the cold oil. As it is forced through the filter at high pressure it makes this sound.
As the oil heats up the air will escape the oil much easier, and by that time the gearbox is filled with oil and pick up very little air.
Hence why the sound disappears after a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #30
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post

I have heard this sound on my M5 too, only when cold, but, the sound was also there to an extent all the time, I heard this when driving with windows down and had a wall on one side of the car.

Dwaynos is also right.

I immediately recognized this sound when I heard it on my own car as air in hydraulic fluid being forced through a tight orifice.

Just so you know that I'm not pulling something out of my ass, I am an Aircraft tech with 10 years work experience on commercial aircrafts, for the past 14 years I have worked in the oil industry. I have commissioned a vast number of big heavy hydraulic equipment on many on/offshore oil rigs. I currently work in management with responsibilities for upgrades on Drilling rigs.
Yeah, I'm getting old

Ask any hydraulics tech about this sound and he will say that this is caused by oil with trapped air passing through a tight orifice, in this case a filter.

Think about it, you car has sat for a while and the oil has drained to the bottom of the oil sump and is cold.
You start up the car and start circulating this cold oil around the gearbox, the low viscous oil is trapping air inside it from the drained areas of the gearbox, air that cannot easily escape from the cold oil. As it is forced through the filter at high pressure it makes this sound.
As the oil heats up the air will escape the oil much easier, and by that time the gearbox is filled with oil and pick up very little air.
You do realise that despite you typing all this information out, people will still ask if anybody has an idea what this may be. just as they did after I typed my version.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 05:27 AM   #31
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
You do realise that despite you typing all this information out, people will still ask if anybody has an idea what this may be. just as they did after I typed my version.
Yeah probably
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #32
Passi-M5
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post

Dwaynos is also right.

Yeah, I'm getting old

Hey Thank you for the detailed description. I also think that it will be the way you described it.
Appreciate 0