M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-18-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
ATXF10M5
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Soul Performance - It's on!

Hey Folks!

I'm about a month into owning my 2014 M5. So far, so good!

First up was exhaust. Given how cheap it was, I figured I'd try a muffler delete first. The volume increase was pretty damn good, but, the drone was definitely more than I wanted from an M5. Don't get me wrong... I've had a few cammed v8's with longtubes and practically no muffler at all, but those are loud sounds...to me, it's totally different than the depth of the drone I found on decel with this muffler delete.

Within one day of having the muffler delete, I called up Soul Performance, explained exactly what I wasn't happy with, and they assured me It'd negate almost all of the sound I didnt like. I ordered it on the spot. A few weeks later I got a box on my doorstop...YES!!!

The fit and finish of the system is awesome, and frankly, it's one of the few exhaust systems I could buy without feeling like I was getting bent over. Sure enough, what Soul told me was spot on - the drone I hated was 90-95% gone, and I'm totally thrilled! I definitely recommend this set up!

It wasn't long afterwards I threw on a Bootmod3 tune, mainly so I could get rid of the high rev start up. I'd be lying if I said the extra power, and whine, wasn't also an excellent side effect.

Now... I will say the exhaust sound of the M5 is different than I'm used to. It almost reminds me of a Subie Boxer sound. It's better, for sure...but there's still that somewhat muted burble type sound. I may give a set of catless downpipes a try... I feel like they'd add an extra bit of raw edge to the sound that would make it more exotic. How much drone will I get back at that point? No telling...

Hope this helps anyone thats in the market for an exhaust. I'll try and snag some pics soon, and perhaps some video...but...to be honest, the video of the red and blue M5's that Soul has posted up have proven to be pretty damn accurate.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
Soul Performance Products
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / 987.2 Cayman S

Thank you for posting up and thank you for trusting in our exhaust and advice! I had experienced exactly what you disliked about a standard muffler delete and made sure we incorporated an effective resonator to cut down on drone. We'd love to see some videos!

-Mike
Appreciate 0