M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Olympics

Anyone been watching?
My wife was a gymnast so she watches every time and I can't believe how amazing that Simone Biles is. Like she is sooooo much better than everyone!!

Ill have to watch for when BMX comes on also
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Unfortunately, Biles is out of the Olympics. From what I heard in passing, she injured herself during a vault.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Already in Olympics thread in the sports section however I just saw on the news that she's exiting because of mental health first. And the pressure. She is obviously one of the best in the world but this pressure is to be expected. If you can't handle it adios I guess
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615140.50
      07-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Yeah WOW did I screw the pooch on this one…
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Unfortunately, Biles is out of the Olympics. From what I heard in passing, she injured herself during a vault.
She was hard to watch. All the faces and shit attitude? Now they are saying she wasn't even hurt? What is going on ?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
She was hard to watch. All the faces and shit attitude? Now they are saying she wasn't even hurt? What is going on ?
It had been reported all over the news. It wasn't a physical injury. It was a mental collapse. She pulled herself out of the team competition so she wouldn't bring down the team's chances of success. I'd say that's admirable and not being selfish.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4478.50
      07-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #7
Rkt48
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Alpine White-SOLD

Imagine someone not playing in the Super Bowl because of the pressure.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
It had been reported all over the news. It wasn't a physical injury. It was a mental collapse. She pulled herself out of the team competition so she wouldn't bring down the team's chances of success. I'd say that's admirable and not being selfish.
Except thats just about the reverse of what happened, she pulled out and literally cost her team the gold.

I've noticed someone has a "mental issue", it only happens when they are losing... my friend these are excuses, just like Naomi Osaka.
      07-27-2021, 10:14 PM   #9
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Except thats just about the reverse of what happened, she pulled out and literally cost her team the gold.

I've noticed someone has a "mental issue", it only happens when they are losing... my friend these are excuses, just like Naomi Osaka.
Excuse? Okay, if you say so. I suppose you're one that doesn't believe mental issues exist. If you had paid any attention you would've noticed Biles wasn't performing to her level in the preliminaries. BTW, the team got a silver medal w/o her in it. Do you think a shockingly low score would've helped the "team" get a gold medal? Saying that she cost the team the gold medal for pulling out is not a strong argument. She was definitely not herself and could very well have brought them down even further if she stayed in it.

Naomi Osaka clearly has problems with her mental health. Not sure that's what led to her loss in the Olympics, but who knows? World's #1 ranked female tennis star (Barty) lost in an even earlier round.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #10
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkt48 View Post
Imagine someone not playing in the Super Bowl because of the pressure.
I can't imagine that nor would I compare the two sporting events. It is what it is man. I'm disappointed in what happened but they have other high level athletes.

What bothers me even more is the fact Russia is basically competing in the Olympics even though they were "banned" but simply go under the name "ROC". It's a joke. Their athletes are probably doping like they always do at every Olympics, yet here they are competing.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:21 PM   #11
Rkt48
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Alpine White-SOLD

Yeah. ROC makes zero sense
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:26 PM   #12
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

It's a slap in the face to everyone else who competed cleanly. As of now they're right up in the top 4 or so countries raking in medals. This is the reason Russia continues to cheat. Nothing happens to them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:11 PM   #13
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkt48 View Post
Yeah. ROC makes zero sense
Jay-Z lawsuit to follow! LOL

Looks like this year we are getting our asses handed to us. It feels like the majority of the top athletes in the world, ours, that everyone was expecting to bring home gold are out or have lost. IDk...is it just me?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:23 PM   #14
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Excuse? Okay, if you say so. I suppose you're one that doesn't believe mental issues exist. If you had paid any attention you would've noticed Biles wasn't performing to her level in the preliminaries. BTW, the team got a silver medal w/o her in it. Do you think a shockingly low score would've helped the "team" get a gold medal? Saying that she cost the team the gold medal for pulling out is not a strong argument. She was definitely not herself and could very well have brought them down even further if she stayed in it.

Naomi Osaka clearly has problems with her mental health. Not sure that's what led to her loss in the Olympics, but who knows? World's #1 ranked female tennis star (Barty) lost in an even earlier round.
Maybe she just wasn’t performing well bc she didn’t perform well? Why is there always an out or excuse? Oh, mental health, nothing else matters. Mental health is a thing, but just saying pressure got to you after doing it on this stage before seems disingenuous. Mental health cries seem to be a default for people experiencing normal adversity.

Real mental health issues are a serious problem but we’ve had no evidence of those until she started making excuses for a poor showing. We may never know, but it sounds like an excuse to me.
Appreciate 1
jesm207.50
      07-27-2021, 11:39 PM   #15
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

No matter what it was, and we may never truly know, the fact of the matter is she didn't perform well on the vault. I'd rather have someone that is in a better place mentally and capable of getting a higher score for the team. That was the decision she and the team made apparently. I don't have any more insight than anyone else here so I'm not certain either way. Like I said previously, it's conceivable that if she stuck with the team in the overall team competition, she may have pulled them down to a bronze medal or maybe even worse? If that's the case, I'll take their second or third best in her place.

I personally am not going to pretend to know what it's like to be in the spotlight with a tremendous amount of pressure and expectations on me to perform like that. Until now she had been a total champ and believed to be the best ever. Someone tell me what exactly happened if it wasn't related to a mental breakdown. I don't know. She had nerves of steel before this Olympics.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:56 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I think mental issue is cop out and weak af. Not the approach I would expect from an Olympian or an American. Is this what the brave new empowered women's movement is hoping to generate?
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410954.50
ASAP10131.00
jesm207.50
      07-28-2021, 05:30 AM   #17
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
That sucks! Hopefully she is OK!! I only saw a few minutes of the coverage and she just looked pissed off. Sounds like she may compete in the upcoming events? That would be great to see. GO MERICA!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 05:48 AM   #18
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

I also have trouble with a 'mental health' pull-out.
But my problem is where is the support for these young women? Why do they think the weight of the world is on them so heavily?
These athletes were sexually abused by their docs, & this was basically ignored. They are not in an easy place mentally. Are they getting the support they need?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 06:28 AM   #19
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Winter olympics > Summer olympics
Appreciate 3
      07-28-2021, 06:30 AM   #20
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Maybe she just got the yips. It happens, especially in individual sports. It is a mental issue, we have all seen it. Where for some reason your confidence is just GONE. I certainty wouldnt be performing well if I was upside down 15 feet in the air and couldnt get the "what if I land on my neck" thought out of my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Winter olympics > Summer olympics
"They still do those?" -Everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 06:37 AM   #21
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Although I agree with the fact that Olympiads should be strong and focused, if you look what all of us have gone through in the past year it is of NO surprise to me that people are losing their shit.

I have never had mental struggles unless it was over a girl and get one under you and those go away very quickly....but this year has played hell on me and technically, I'm in a better place than I was Pre-COVID

Cop out or not, it sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 06:52 AM   #22
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Possibly, but they are working at levels and with pressures we cant comprehend.

Hell, sometimes I get the yips on the track on my motorcycle. Most days Ill drag a knee, let the back step out, get a nice wobble lifting the front end exiting the corner, or tuck the front trail-braking and think nothing about it, maybe blow a corner or two but then Im back at it. But then there are those times where something just doesn't feel right, nothing wrong with the bike but me and I cant shake it even if lap after lap nothing happens. If it gets bad enough Im out, pack her up and try again after a nights sleep. A loss of concentration means Im tumbling down the track at 130mph like a rag doll.

And were talking about kids in their 20s playing a sport. There is no real value to any of it other than entertaining us and making (the IIOC) money. Maybe that is why you are starting to see more and more athletes bail or even pass on it altogether. Her career is fine, she isnt making money off this event and if she doesnt feel right its not really going to cost her anything to bail.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4478.50