BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
code600
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Outrageous Registration Renewal Fee California

So I have owned my car for 1 year now in California, and today I received letter from DMV for registration renewal and guess how much it was $878 for a 2014 M5. In all my years I have never paid so much for renewing a registration I own a Z06 as well and last 3 years paid less than $300. Most of it is from Vehicle License Fee. I read on DMV that Vehicle License Fee is .65% of the cars value, which would mean my used cars value was calculated to be $85,000 but it's not even half of that wtf can I do something about this, every time I go dmv and ask they just say the computer generates fee for them they can't do anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

Quote:
Originally Posted by code600 View Post
So I have owned my car for 1 year now in California, and today I received letter from DMV for registration renewal and guess how much it was $878 for a 2014 M5. In all my years I have never paid so much for renewing a registration I own a Z06 as well and last 3 years paid less than $300. Most of it is from Vehicle License Fee. I read on DMV that Vehicle License Fee is .65% of the cars value, which would mean my used cars value was calculated to be $85,000 but it's not even half of that wtf can I do something about this, every time I go dmv and ask they just say the computer generates fee for them they can't do anything.

Make sure your data is correctly entered in their system. Correct MY in their system - not on the card you get. This is not unheard off and seems to be a more common occurrence in the recent times now that PG&E bills have normalized.
      05-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

I'm also in NorCal I just paid ~$400 for my 2014 m5 registration renewal last month. Something is definitely not right.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Mine is a 14 and cost me $680, it's California
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #5
//Mlibog
Private
Rep
Drives: m5f10

try moved NC ... state you pay as property tax for vehicle..have to pay this tax 700+registration and annual inspetion!!!
Appreciate 2
Beast27358.00
94jedi829.00
      05-22-2019, 11:06 PM   #6
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55

paid close to $500 last year SoCal for my 14
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
CA continues to elect progressive libs of one particular party and this is what you get, there is no check/balance in CA anymore. If they are trying to assess annual registration renewal based on the value of your vehicle, than surely they must be taking into account the mileage whenver you take your vehicle to get inspected? That's awful ¢aliofrnia of them.

Don't you have to pay sales tax on the MSRP of a new vehicle, regardless of what you actually pay? And here in Texas, you can offset the sales tax on your new vehicle from the value of your trade-in, I wouldn't be surprised, scratch that, I would be surprised if CA even still permitted that.

In Texas here, every county has a tax assessor, file a protest, even if you have to get an attorney and sue them, the bank loan value isn't even that high. NADA, Edmunds, KBB, none of those are usually as accurate I have found, as Black Book. Most car dealerships will use recent auction values to estimate trade values, and those, of course, are always pawn-shop prices.
https://www.thinkbank.com/black-book/

CA State Government is out of control on spending and the liberal progressive social agenda. The housing market is a Ponzi scheme, and here in Austin we're filling up with folks moving out of CA every day, they're starting to over-inflate our real estate market here, as well.

I tell my wife I don' even want to waste my money visiting the State (she wants to go to Napa Valley), and if the State of CA defaults on their debts any time soon (current trajectory,) and asks the Federal taxpayer to pick up the tab, I expect a ballot in all future CA State elections. Such a beautiful State gone to crap within my lifetime.

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 2
RPiM52872.00
      05-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
INFURNO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I think I paid about $800 in Washington state last year. Thinking it will be about $700 this year.

This is without any inspections or smog test.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50
      05-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBull View Post
CA continues to elect progressive libs of one particular party and this is what you get, there is no check/balance in CA anymore. If they are trying to assess annual registration renewal based on the value of your vehicle, than surely they must be taking into account the mileage whenver you take your vehicle to get inspected? That's awful ¢aliofrnia of them.

Don't you have to pay sales tax on the MSRP of a new vehicle, regardless of what you actually pay? And here in Texas, you can offset the sales tax on your new vehicle from the value of your trade-in, I wouldn't be surprised, scratch that, I would be surprised if CA even still permitted that.

In Texas here, every county has a tax assessor, file a protest, even if you have to get an attorney and sue them, the bank loan value isn't even that high. NADA, Edmunds, KBB, none of those are usually as accurate I have found, as Black Book. Most car dealerships will use recent auction values to estimate trade values, and those, of course, are always pawn-shop prices.

CA State Government is out of control on spending and the liberal progressive social agenda. The housing market is a Ponzi scheme, and here in Austin we're filling up with folks moving out of CA every day, they're starting to over-inflate our real estate market here, as well.

I tell my wife I don' even want to waste my money visiting the State (she wants to go to Napa Valley), and if the State of CA defaults on their debts any time soon (current trajectory,) and asks the Federal taxpayer to pick up the tab, I expect a ballot in all future CA State elections. Such a beautiful State gone to crap within my lifetime.
Good way to squeeze in your political bias into the thread.

Please try to read rather than listening to your favorite pundits :

https://www.politifact.com/californi...re-it-gets-dc/

Back to original topic:

Why is it so high and where does the money go:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...cts/ffvr34#reg

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l.../103-595567226

Lastly, the vehicle license fees ARE tax deductible..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBull View Post

It's true, many people are leaving California, especially millennials. It's becoming too expensive. Also AB1824, is killing car culture and automotive lifestyle in Cali. I personally know a few people whose vehicles were targeted by 1824 special units that drive around looking for violators now. I've always considered myself a liberal and progressive to a degree, but California's direction on certain issues are going too far. It's a shame really, as California has the best year round weather and mountain roads to really enjoy your car.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Mlibog View Post
try moved NC ... state you pay as property tax for vehicle..have to pay this tax 700+registration and annual inspetion!!!
Dude, seriously. I'm in NC and this HUT is ridiculous. The roads here suck and we pay tax like it's the freaking autobahn. I just bought my 2015 M5 a few weeks ago and paid through the nose based on the states "assumption of value" of the car. I don't know what the hell they're talking about because the supposed value I was charged was waaaay higher than KBB or anything I've seen. I'm trying to get it readjusted now but it's a freaking paperwork fight.
      05-25-2019, 05:15 AM   #12
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Think the backlash has started in liberal California,a fraction percentage of what they think your car is worth is always going to be higher to get more money from you.it's similar to older properties in uk being 'percentaged' for the council tax yet its from 1991 value.Newer properties are for sure charged higher c/t.
With those exhaust noise laws there also being implemented I would call on your government representatives to push for a motoring body in your government if there isn't one there.Our government here has no such body and is indeed run by people who don't even know what a spark plug is.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 05:09 AM   #13
//Mlibog
Private
Rep
Drives: m5f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Dude, seriously. I'm in NC and this HUT is ridiculous. The roads here suck and we pay tax like it's the freaking autobahn. I just bought my 2015 M5 a few weeks ago and paid through the nose based on the states "assumption of value" of the car. I don't know what the hell they're talking about because the supposed value I was charged was waaaay higher than KBB or anything I've seen. I'm trying to get it readjusted now but it's a freaking paperwork fight.
You are right this State is redicolous when it comes to property tax..specially vehicle!!!!
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      06-29-2019, 02:32 AM   #14
1MEANM6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 GranCoupe

It cost me $750 for a 2014 M6 GC and $600 for my 2014 range rover sport, I used to own a 2011 Rolls Royce ghost and it cost me $1200. The price in cali is ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #15
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Damn. I thought it was bad here in New Yorkistan. Registration is less than $300 if I remember and good for 2 years. We do pay a lot for insurance and gas and our roads suck, so there's that. :-) Not to mention the high rates on just about everything else including property and sales taxes.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:19 PM   #16
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

all yall bitchin about cali prices. try living in south carolina where everybody is still disgruntled over losing the civil war, average iQ is 90, horrible education system too, neverending jokes about incest, no professional sports teams, not a single one, no snow, no mountains, no waves, rains too damn much, humidity over 90% all the time, but redneck racists, county police gestapo, and toothless tourists from ohio and indiana we got, but registration fees identical to you hollywood guys

$700
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #17
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Where's Arnold with the repeal?!?!
Appreciate 0