M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

04-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
f10toby
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
F10 Drivetrain Malfunction Multiple Misfire

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice with my F10 M5. It starts and idles fine, and even drives fine in low revs, but if you put your foot down hard, it hesitates for a second then starts to accelerate and as it gets to 3500rpm throws a drivetrain malfunction error on the dash. I've scanned it, and it came up with multiple cylinder misfire. I've changed all plugs and coils and after clearing all errors and driving it hard again, the issue is still there. Its using more oil than i'd expect it to as well although there's no oil leak. I've removed all air intakes and theres more oil in the passenger side (UK) intake to the turbo than the other side.

The car sounds more throaty if that makes any sense, almost a flat 4 ish sound like a hole in the exhast but i can't find anything. The car will still reach speed, if you don't put your foot down all the way. I've cleaned all MAF sensors too and tried replacing, no luck.

Short of changing all injectors, which i really don't want to have to do unless i need to, what would you look at next? Is there anything specific on these engines they're known for breaking which would cause this?

The car is running new G25-660 turbos and remapped too, but it ran fine after the remap for a long time with no issues.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #2
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Waiting on the master F10 M5 to answer this one. Go ahead Dwaynos 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Do I sense sarcasm?

Are there any other codes? Any lean codes? What's the mileage?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
f10toby
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Quote:
Do I sense sarcasm?

Quote:
Quote:
Do I sense sarcasm?

Nope no other codes at all. It's only a basic scanner but nothing else is coming up. This engine has only done 12k since rebuild dropped into this car. Previously the engine had 30k on it before being top end rebuilt with the new turbos too and then dropped back into the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f10toby View Post
Nope no other codes at all. It's only a basic scanner but nothing else is coming up. This engine has only done 12k since rebuild dropped into this car. Previously the engine had 30k on it before being top end rebuilt with the new turbos too and then dropped back into the car.
You need to have it on a more advanced scanner really to get more detail. A lean condition can cause multiple misfires. A lean condition could be caused by a bad o2 sensor, which these cars suffer from.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
f10toby
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You need to have it on a more advanced scanner really to get more detail. A lean condition can cause multiple misfires. A lean condition could be caused by a bad o2 sensor, which these cars suffer from.
Ok I can get access to a better snap on scanner so I'll try that next week. Would a broken or misreading O2 sensor cause it to sound odd? It sounds like almost a misfire would but it does run ok. If it helps it runs much better from cold, seems to get worse as it gets hot. Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ok I can get access to a better snap on scanner so I'll try that next week. Would a broken or misreading O2 sensor cause it to sound odd? It sounds like almost a misfire would but it does run ok. If it helps it runs much better from cold, seems to get worse as it gets hot. Thanks for the help
If it's missing then it would sound odd. When the engine is cold it's running on open loop, this means that it's not taking the o2 sensors into consideration, once warmed up slightly it switches to closed loop and adjusts fuelling as necessary by using the o2 sensors to check the mixture.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #8
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Quote:
Do I sense sarcasm?

No shade intended Dwaynos You just know you're stuff that's all.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep

I had this same problem just a few weeks ago.

I use Carly and I also found a "Cylinder 2 Low Voltage". I replaced the spark plug, injector, etc and the problem was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
Max Goucher
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5,

M5 misfire

Hi, my 2013 F10 M5 has an intermittent misfire. Luckily I have an extended warranty.
Its been to Ryebrook Worcester 5 times now. Its going back on 19th.
What should you expect them to do in terms of obvious work and i will ensure that they've done those things.
I know they have changed a coil and the ECU. I suspect they should change all coils and all plugs for starters?

Thanks
Max
Appreciate 0