M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #1
M5_Raz
Enlisted Member
M5_Raz's Avatar
17
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

2016 M5: 0w40 or 0w30

Hi all,

I have a 2016 M5 and the manual states to only use 0w40 BMW Longlife-01 / FE. As an alternative, 0w-30 may be used.

I live in Northern California (hottest ~105f, coldest ~30f)

So far, I see that Motul 8100 X-MAX 0W40 looks like a good option. Anyone else have any input on other brands? What about filters?

Why are different years of M5's allowing 5w40 as well but not 2016?

Thanks,
Raz
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
technician117
Lieutenant
United_States
198
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2016 M5 and the manual states to only use 0w40 BMW Longlife-01 / FE. As an alternative, 0w-30 may be used.

I live in Northern California (hottest ~105f, coldest ~30f)

So far, I see that Motul 8100 X-MAX 0W40 looks like a good option. Anyone else have any input on other brands? What about filters?

Why are different years of M5's allowing 5w40 as well but not 2016?

Thanks,
Raz
I run Mobil 1 0w-40 with good results. My oil consumption dropped as well. It's easily available anywhere and not overly expensive. I'd recommend sticking with 0w-40 for your climate.

I've always been a fan of Hengst brand filters. Never had an issue with them. They are made in Germany. You can't go wrong with an OE filter, either. I don't think they're overly expensive?

I don't recall hearing that 5w-40 or even 5w-30 was ever written in the owners manual. Many times you will see 5w-30 recommended online as it is the "twinpower turbo" whatever brand from BMW. That oil is actually for the inline 6 turbo engines IMO. Sure you can run a 5w oil in the S63, I just don't think it's a good idea on a stock bottom end unless your temperatures on cold start are routinely over 90-100F during the entire oil change interval.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
M5_Raz
Enlisted Member
M5_Raz's Avatar
17
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2016 M5 and the manual states to only use 0w40 BMW Longlife-01 / FE. As an alternative, 0w-30 may be used.

I live in Northern California (hottest ~105f, coldest ~30f)

So far, I see that Motul 8100 X-MAX 0W40 looks like a good option. Anyone else have any input on other brands? What about filters?

Why are different years of M5's allowing 5w40 as well but not 2016?

Thanks,
Raz
I run Mobil 1 0w-40 with good results. My oil consumption dropped as well. It's easily available anywhere and not overly expensive. I'd recommend sticking with 0w-40 for your climate.

I've always been a fan of Hengst brand filters. Never had an issue with them. They are made in Germany. You can't go wrong with an OE filter, either. I don't think they're overly expensive?

I don't recall hearing that 5w-40 or even 5w-30 was ever written in the owners manual. Many times you will see 5w-30 recommended online as it is the "twinpower turbo" whatever brand from BMW. That oil is actually for the inline 6 turbo engines IMO. Sure you can run a 5w oil in the S63, I just don't think it's a good idea on a stock bottom end unless your temperatures on cold start are routinely over 90-100F during the entire oil change interval.
Only thing with Mobil 1 is that it's not bmw ll01 approved. I'm leaning more towards the Motul 8100 x-max.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
technician117
Lieutenant
United_States
198
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Only thing with Mobil 1 is that it's not bmw ll01 approved. I'm leaning more towards the Motul 8100 x-max.
The only time you should worry about LL01/LL04 ratings/certification is if you're running the OCI to the BMW recommended mileages. In this case, like 10,000? I think is the current recommendation. If you change the oil at a shorter interval, say 5,000 miles, then those certifications don't mean anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
vafan13
Private First Class
United_States
65
Rep
191
Posts

Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
The only time you should worry about LL01/LL04 ratings/certification is if you're running the OCI to the BMW recommended mileages. In this case, like 10,000? I think is the current recommendation. If you change the oil at a shorter interval, say 5,000 miles, then those certifications don't mean anything.
Also, LL01 is old. when reformulating more "specialty" oils like the mobil 1 0w-40 or edge 0w-40, they likely didn't bother. both of those meet both Benz and porsche certs, which are at least as stringent.
__________________
Sakhir Orange F10 M5 | Dinan Swaybars | Turner Monoballs | Corsa Sport Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
etnsandman
Private First Class
48
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5 Competition
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Maryville,TN

iTrader: (0)

Walmart has a 12 qt box of Mobile 1 euro 0w-40 for 50 bucks on there app. Same day pickup in my area.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #7
Droner
Private
86
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: '14 F10 M5 - Sakhir Orange
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Fort Worth Texas

iTrader: (1)

Im running ravenol 5w-40 vst.

I like that they actually post the full oil specs. HTHS 3.9, NOACK 7.4, etc.

Mahle filter
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #8
M5_Raz
Enlisted Member
M5_Raz's Avatar
17
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

I've decided on Mobil 1 0w-40 with a Mahle filter. Plan is to change every 4-5k miles. Should I keep it around 4k or is 5k good enough?

Any of you recommend a magnetic drain plug?

I also bought a Weistec oil filter cap (w/ drain plug) to make changing the filter less messy.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #9
technician117
Lieutenant
United_States
198
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
I've decided on Mobil 1 0w-40 with a Mahle filter. Plan is to change every 4-5k miles. Should I keep it around 4k or is 5k good enough?

Any of you recommend a magnetic drain plug?

I also bought a Weistec oil filter cap (w/ drain plug) to make changing the filter less messy.
My personal opinion is anything less than a 5k interval* with synthetic oil is a waste of money/oil. The *caveat being if you take the car to the track or otherwise really beat on the car all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
M5Yams
Private
United_States
63
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Fort wayne, Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2016 M5 and the manual states to only use 0w40 BMW Longlife-01 / FE. As an alternative, 0w-30 may be used.

I live in Northern California (hottest ~105f, coldest ~30f)

So far, I see that Motul 8100 X-MAX 0W40 looks like a good option. Anyone else have any input on other brands? What about filters?

Why are different years of M5's allowing 5w40 as well but not 2016?

Thanks,
Raz
I run Mobil 1 0w-40 with good results. My oil consumption dropped as well. It's easily available anywhere and not overly expensive. I'd recommend sticking with 0w-40 for your climate.

I've always been a fan of Hengst brand filters. Never had an issue with them. They are made in Germany. You can't go wrong with an OE filter, either. I don't think they're overly expensive?

I don't recall hearing that 5w-40 or even 5w-30 was ever written in the owners manual. Many times you will see 5w-30 recommended online as it is the "twinpower turbo" whatever brand from BMW. That oil is actually for the inline 6 turbo engines IMO. Sure you can run a 5w oil in the S63, I just don't think it's a good idea on a stock bottom end unless your temperatures on cold start are routinely over 90-100F during the entire oil change interval.
In my car manual suggests 0w-30 or 0w-40 with alternatives to 5w-30 or 40. I drive a 2015 comp, wouldn't imagine anything with the comp pack affecting the oil recommendations but who knows. Personally I drive a lot and run castrol edge 0w-40 and do 5k miles on oil change. There are a lot of guys that have done longer than 5k and do tests with their oil changes. The one I'm thinking of he started at the dealer recommended 9k and changed it and said it came out almost black, sent it to black stone and had an oil analysis done and had a lot of material wear and contaminates in it. Went down to 7k still a good amount of wear. eventually made it down to 5k and 4k and the Blackstone analysis didn't change between them. So like another said, if you track it think about doing less but 5k is the sweet spot
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #11
S_CDSM5
Private
40
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 650 Gran Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: The burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Yams View Post
In my car manual suggests 0w-30 or 0w-40 with alternatives to 5w-30 or 40. I drive a 2015 comp, wouldn't imagine anything with the comp pack affecting the oil recommendations but who knows. Personally I drive a lot and run castrol edge 0w-40 and do 5k miles on oil change. There are a lot of guys that have done longer than 5k and do tests with their oil changes. The one I'm thinking of he started at the dealer recommended 9k and changed it and said it came out almost black, sent it to black stone and had an oil analysis done and had a lot of material wear and contaminates in it. Went down to 7k still a good amount of wear. eventually made it down to 5k and 4k and the Blackstone analysis didn't change between them. So like another said, if you track it think about doing less but 5k is the sweet spot
Agreed, i run 5w40 and my car burns no oil at all. 5k mile intervals for me as well. In my opinion you shouldnt be worried about a $100 oil change on a car like this, changing it too often cant hurt it but chancing running the oil too long certainly can. Its cheap insurance for me. I baby my car and go 5k like mentioned. if you track i would say 2-3k, moderate use 4-6k
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:04 PM   #12
eesper
Registered
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droner View Post
Im running ravenol 5w-40 vst.

I like that they actually post the full oil specs. HTHS 3.9, NOACK 7.4, etc.

Mahle filter
I run Ravenol 5-40 VST as well. Best oil in my opinion
Appreciate 1
Droner86.00

      09-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #13
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
4004
Rep
10,690
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

When I had my S65B40 V8 M3, I used Castrol TWS 10-60. For a large part of ownership, I was using M1 0-40 Euro LL-01. When BMW moved to the Pennzoil supplied blue bottles, I switched back the BMW TwinPower 10-60. That's for the NA V8 motor.

On my S63B44 M6, I've used the BMW 5-30 oil up until last year, when it was discontinued for the 0-30. My OCI is about 5k. Blackstone shows similar results for both 5-30 and 0-30 TwinPower Turbo oils. I like the 0 spec oils as it's easier on cold starts and short distance driving that I sometimes do. But I'd like a thicker oil that shears at a heavier weight when the engine is running at operating temps around 220-240 degrees.

I'm surprised to see people still using M1 0-40. I'm tempted to go back to M1 again.
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, V2 steering wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #14
M5_Raz
Enlisted Member
M5_Raz's Avatar
17
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
When I had my S65B40 V8 M3, I used Castrol TWS 10-60. For a large part of ownership, I was using M1 0-40 Euro LL-01. When BMW moved to the Pennzoil supplied blue bottles, I switched back the BMW TwinPower 10-60. That's for the NA V8 motor.

On my S63B44 M6, I've used the BMW 5-30 oil up until last year, when it was discontinued for the 0-30. My OCI is about 5k. Blackstone shows similar results for both 5-30 and 0-30 TwinPower Turbo oils. I like the 0 spec oils as it's easier on cold starts and short distance driving that I sometimes do. But I'd like a thicker oil that shears at a heavier weight when the engine is running at operating temps around 220-240 degrees.

I'm surprised to see people still using M1 0-40. I'm tempted to go back to M1 again.
I put in M1 0W-40 almost 1,000 miles ago. Zero burn and the car seems very happy with it.

Smooth starts and very smooth throughout the rev range. I plan to change it every 3-4K miles since it's so cheap compared to other options.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #15
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
6431
Rep
4,987
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Mobil 1 0W40 long life was recently recommended by BMW then taken off their ok to use list.
See no reason not to use it if there is nothing better available in your area.
I use a Bosch oil filter, it has an extra guaze surround on top to trap any foreign particles
which the M or Mahle ones haven't got.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #16
M5Dan
Second Lieutenant
M5Dan's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: M5 Competition Package
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Mobil 1 0W40 long life was recently recommended by BMW then taken off their ok to use list.
See no reason not to use it if there is nothing better available in your area.
I use a Bosch oil filter, it has an extra guaze surround on top to trap any foreign particles
which the M or Mahle ones haven't got.
Where did you find a Bosch oil filter for the M5 their website says none of their filters are compatible only these parts are available.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #17
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
6431
Rep
4,987
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
^ P7158 Bosch. only fit 560,575,and 600hp M5 F10.
Compatible with Mahle OX353/7DECO and Mann HU8007z.
Bought two from carpartsinmotion. online UK.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:42 AM   #18
M5_Raz
Enlisted Member
M5_Raz's Avatar
17
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bay Area, California

iTrader: (0)

Quick 1500 mile update on M1 0w40.

Burned about 0.8qt. Pretty normal driving, 90% of the time under 3.5k rpm. 60/40 highway:street.

A few pulls here and there. Some to 140+ mph and one to 160+ mph.

Overall car seems super happy with the oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:59 AM   #19
technician117
Lieutenant
United_States
198
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Quick 1500 mile update on M1 0w40.

Burned about 0.8qt. Pretty normal driving, 90% of the time under 3.5k rpm. 60/40 highway:street.

A few pulls here and there. Some to 140+ mph and one to 160+ mph.

Overall car seems super happy with the oil.
Glad to hear and thanks for the update!

My consumption is similar to yours, I think it's mostly just a coincidence that we're running the same brand/spec oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #20
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
6431
Rep
4,987
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
I run Mobil1 0-40 in our CLK komp and with Edge 0-30 seemingly not available at Costco anymore but they have plenty of M1 so next change I'll probably use that as some of you get on with it well.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST