M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

Since buying my car I've been itching to get catless DPs. Main thing stopping me is a CEL, as I'm sure this is a common concern. Except for a few varied accounts where it has magically worked for some people, the general consensus seems to be that O2 spacers/defoulers and microcats won't fool this car the way it does with other cars. I know some tuners quietly discreetly address this but what if I don't want a tune?

I know most of you will say "no tune??? Eh? What's the use?". Trust me, I'd love 100hp+ but I'm just paranoid of blowing up the engine and my car has an extended warranty. Not looking to void that. Besides I honestly have more that enough power for my needs. Extended warranty doesn't cover the exhaust system. And even if I had a turbo failure I would just switch back to the stock cats. So why go catless in the first place? I HAVE to have that sound! It's intoxicating.

So it seems like the only idea not discussed much on this forum is this product: Area seven fo iO2 simulator. (Forum won't let me spell it out. Just google.) They claim it will work on any car and I haven't heard of any situations on any forums where the product hasn't worked. I haven't seen a thread on this M5 forum about it though.

Has anyone here used this product? Its not all that cheap for 2 of them, (for the 2 sensors) but if it does work, I'd say it's well worth it to just be done with it and solve the CEL annoyance as a permanent fix. CEL will still then work for any other reason unrelated to the O2 sensor.
      10-15-2020, 01:00 AM   #2
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I've been running my comp pack with catless dps and no tune for years now without any cat-foolers and have never had a CEL come up. I loaded a tune recently but went back to stock because of traction issues. I'll probably fit R888rs soon and reload the tune when I do. The car is really strong just with dps (just shy of 600 whp on one dyno and over 470 wkw on another) and comfortably outruns the 440kw Pure Metal M5 available here. Dps changed the car for the better both in terms of sound and performance and I would recommend going that route. Yours may bring up a CEL though. I gather that some do and some don't - not sure why
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep

Hmmm. There are a few people have said they have never had a CEL, but it seems to be very rare. I wonder how that could happen. Most people are claiming negligible gains without a tune. (<5hp)

Somehow your car has really calibrated well to the changes and made the best of it. Thanks for your input, it's a different point of view and I hope I can be just as lucky.
      10-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyfeller View Post
Since buying my car I've been itching to get catless DPs. Main thing stopping me is a CEL, as I'm sure this is a common concern. Except for a few varied accounts where it has magically worked for some people, the general consensus seems to be that O2 spacers/defoulers and microcats won't fool this car the way it does with other cars. I know some tuners quietly discreetly address this but what if I don't want a tune?

I know most of you will say "no tune??? Eh? What's the use?". Trust me, I'd love 100hp+ but I'm just paranoid of blowing up the engine and my car has an extended warranty. Not looking to void that. Besides I honestly have more that enough power for my needs. Extended warranty doesn't cover the exhaust system. And even if I had a turbo failure I would just switch back to the stock cats. So why go catless in the first place? I HAVE to have that sound! It's intoxicating.

So it seems like the only idea not discussed much on this forum is this product: Area seven fo iO2 simulator. (Forum won't let me spell it out. Just google.) They claim it will work on any car and I haven't heard of any situations on any forums where the product hasn't worked. I haven't seen a thread on this M5 forum about it though.

Has anyone here used this product? Its not all that cheap for 2 of them, (for the 2 sensors) but if it does work, I'd say it's well worth it to just be done with it and solve the CEL annoyance as a permanent fix. CEL will still then work for any other reason unrelated to the O2 sensor.
If you are in Dallas area reach out to RKAutowerks they may be able to get ya sorted out. I have a stock rebuild engine from them and honestly can't say enough good things about them.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 02:04 AM   #5
ajm55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Hmmm. There are a few people have said they have never had a CEL, but it seems to be very rare. I wonder how that could happen. Most people are claiming negligible gains without a tune. (<5hp)

Somehow your car has really calibrated well to the changes and made the best of it. Thanks for your input, it's a different point of view and I hope I can be just as lucky.
I live at 5,500 feet above sea level. Not sure if that would have any effect on a CEL being triggered once the cats are removed. A local tuner that sells dps noted on a local forum (against self-interest and in order to negate suggestions made by some M5 owners that they had seen 25wkw gains just with dps) that on the many M5s and M6s on which his dps have been fitted, he has never seen more than 15 wkw. That's still not a bad gain - 25 to 30 hp at the flywheel. I didn't do a pre-dp dyno run so have no objective data but my car with the dps fitted is really strong, even when compared with some tuned M5s - so I'm lucky
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:34 PM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:

This thread will be of interest to you. I found some what appears to be some decent looking simulators (same what you found, form wont let me type it) that another member just purchased (I have 4 more months before my emissions are due so didn't buy them yet), he is actively testing it now and will report back if they work. He has already tried spacers and mini-cats with no luck so this is his last resort. The sims are not cheap but removing your down pipes to put back in the cats is 10 hours of pure suck so they will be well worth it if they work out.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1758872
Appreciate 2
Doctor_X1158.00
      10-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep

Thank you, very helpful. From my research this seems like the most viable option, especially since the company is confident enough to give that kind of guarantee.

The quality of materials of that box don't look up to par. Kind of like a generic project box. I wonder if it could survive the under hood temps on our cars over time, especially that close to the DPs. Would probably be best to heat shield them.

I look forward to seeing the results.
      10-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Thank you, very helpful. From my research this seems like the most viable option, especially since the company is confident enough to give that kind of guarantee.

The quality of materials of that box don't look up to par. Kind of like a generic project box. I wonder if it could survive the under hood temps on our cars over time, especially that close to the DPs. Would probably be best to heat shield them.

I look forward to seeing the results.
I thought the same thing about the enclosure, especially with how short the wires are that are included with it. If they work then after I pickup a set I plan to add extensions made from silicone wire and locate the boxes towards the front of the engine bay where it is much cooler. On the F10, I would think the same would apply and a location close to the air filters/shock towers would be an excellent spot. Probably wrap them in the gold reflective tape just for fun too.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:24 PM   #9
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep

Yeah totally makes sense. Extensions with soldered/shrink wrap/loomed connections and keeping the boxes out of the way and in an area that's as dry as possible should make the whole install clean and safe. Based on my past experiences, sometimes it's just worth going overkill for that extra mile the first time around with peace of mind. Dealing with glitches and reinstalls later truly sucks.