M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
mikey_g
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 M5 6SPD

Engine modification: required accessories and preventive actions for exploding engine

Aloha all,

Just bought stage 2 pure turbos and vsfr downpipes along with RPi GTM exhaust . This should all get me some more competitive numbers at the wheels, going for some drag radials (hopefully 305) to help put it down. I do realize through a bit of browsing that as awesome as the HOT V Twin turbo s63tu is, that shit might blow up. I've got a 3rd party warranty but I'd really like to avoid the whole mess and I was wondering if you all could recommend some accessories (I've been told meth is not req?) to help in the prevention or at least reduce the risks of an engine going boom.

Mahaloz from Hawaii,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 04:22 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

New clutches will be your next modification, would your warranty not be invalid with all of the mods?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
induc916
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

A good tune, gapped plugs and coils.
14 M6 Sakhir Coupe | RK Autowerks Built Motor | G25-660 | Snow Performance Meth | RK DP | 4mm bored throttle bodies | SSP-X | SSP Trans Pan | RK Billet Diff Mount | DSS Axles | Rkautowerks carbon charge pipes | CSF Intercoolers |Akro exhaust | Gapped Plugs |RK intakes | 900whp/930wtq
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_g View Post
Aloha all,

Just bought stage 2 pure turbos and vsfr downpipes along with RPi GTM exhaust . This should all get me some more competitive numbers at the wheels, going for some drag radials (hopefully 305) to help put it down. I do realize through a bit of browsing that as awesome as the HOT V Twin turbo s63tu is, that shit might blow up. I've got a 3rd party warranty but I'd really like to avoid the whole mess and I was wondering if you all could recommend some accessories (I've been told meth is not req?) to help in the prevention or at least reduce the risks of an engine going boom.

Mahaloz from Hawaii,
Mike
Change your plugs, coils. Change your oil ever 3500 miles. You will HAVE to run at least 305 or better 315 if you want to get your moneys worth on the power, which also means new clutches.

and the list just keeps getting bigger... always does.

If you're running stage 2 turbos, you will want to run a meth set up. Not for power but for cooling. (you will get some power, even though it's not the goal maybe +30). You could even run distilled water to keep IAT down..

I'm not pure stage 2 but considering it, in the process I've spoke to some guys running 800+ hp set ups and most run meth for the purpose of keeping their temps down. Will also help with heat soak. You can expect temperatures of 100 degrees cooler with meth than without.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 01:17 AM   #5
mikey_g
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BSMM5 View Post
Change your plugs, coils. Change your oil ever 3500 miles. You will HAVE to run at least 305 or better 315 if you want to get your moneys worth on the power, which also means new clutches.

and the list just keeps getting bigger... always does.

If you're running stage 2 turbos, you will want to run a meth set up. Not for power but for cooling. (you will get some power, even though it's not the goal maybe +30). You could even run distilled water to keep IAT down..

I'm not pure stage 2 but considering it, in the process I've spoke to some guys running 800+ hp set ups and most run meth for the purpose of keeping their temps down. Will also help with heat soak. You can expect temperatures of 100 degrees cooler with meth than without.
Yeah I've read the same in regards of meth and temp.

305s will run on the rear 343m https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390088 but im on the lookout for wheels that can fit a 315 tire!

TBH the stage 2 turbos might be the last thing installed even though it was the first

Also clutch will be bought, the 6 speed can only handle roughly 650 tq I've been told
Appreciate 1
_BSMM5123.50
      05-31-2019, 01:18 AM   #6
mikey_g
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
New clutches will be your next modification, would your warranty not be invalid with all of the mods?
Believe its covered
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
_BSMM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_g View Post
Yeah I've read the same in regards of meth and temp.

305s will run on the rear 343m https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390088 but im on the lookout for wheels that can fit a 315 tire!

TBH the stage 2 turbos might be the last thing installed even though it was the first

Also clutch will be bought, the 6 speed can only handle roughly 650 tq I've been told
DCT can handle up to 650 TQ. The manual has a bit more tolerance, I'm not sure of the exact number but I think its at least 700 Tq. Have fun with that
Appreciate 0