Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-25-2019, 02:55 AM   #23
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Yep these modern turbo Ms with lots of torque will get side ways quick. When I attend BMW school, on the wet skid pad, the main purpose was not to teach you how to drift (which is a difficult skill to learn in such short time) but to let you know the difference between having DSC on and DSC off. Everyone spun the car when told to step on the throttle with DSC off.

The funny thing was those who thinks they can drive actually did the worst. Most students when they spun they hit the brake and the car came to a stop. But some will counter steer trying to save the car but without proper feel and throttle/steering control, the car will shift momentum and then actually spin the other way. On the road this just means you will hit more stuff.

Be careful out there next time and be mindful of your car's settings.,
I honed my skills at Merc World in Surrey.As you say it's not easy and race drivers make it look a doddle but for road driving I always have my dsc or traction always on with the occasional mdm pressed.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #24
Chauncey.Bishop
Big girls don't cry.
India
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopeeco View Post
I was able to drive it home, but I got brake warning on the main screen and night vision disabled.
If you were able to drive it home then its likely it won't get totaled.
      06-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #25
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Yep these modern turbo Ms with lots of torque will get side ways quick. When I attend BMW school, on the wet skid pad, the main purpose was not to teach you how to drift (which is a difficult skill to learn in such short time) but to let you know the difference between having DSC on and DSC off. Everyone spun the car when told to step on the throttle with DSC off.

The funny thing was those who thinks they can drive actually did the worst. Most students when they spun they hit the brake and the car came to a stop. But some will counter steer trying to save the car but without proper feel and throttle/steering control, the car will shift momentum and then actually spin the other way. On the road this just means you will hit more stuff.

Be careful out there next time and be mindful of your car's settings.,
I honed my skills at Merc World in Surrey.As you say it's not easy and race drivers make it look a doddle but for road driving I always have my dsc or traction always on with the occasional mdm pressed.
Yeah even the instructor said they have it on when they drive on public roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #26
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Sell your m5. You hurt her bad. kids. lol
lol
      06-25-2019, 11:00 PM   #27
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I think the guy was looking for good advice not criticism. Shit happens, get it fixed out of your own pocket if possible and get back to driving it. Careful though as it's a very powerful car which you have found out. Get used to modulating the throttle with traction on then MDM. I've not bothered going any further. I drive in MDM all the time except when its wet.
i agree. i was in mdm my first month with the m5 and i had 90° turn fishtails from deadstops out of driveways/intersections dialed in the f10 550i but the m5 is a lil wild and it whipped a lil too far and i was very quickly put perpendicular in the street i was entering

BUT

i try my best to test and learn in a safe controlled environment and eventhough i didnt run off the road then im glad i was safe

i look for:
wide road
no light poles or trees
no curbs
no ditches
no traffic
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:53 AM   #28
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
i agree. i was in mdm my first month with the m5 and i had 90° turn fishtails from deadstops out of driveways/intersections dialed in the f10 550i but the m5 is a lil wild and it whipped a lil too far and i was very quickly put perpendicular in the street i was entering

BUT

i try my best to test and learn in a safe controlled environment and eventhough i didnt run off the road then im glad i was safe

i look for:
wide road
no light poles or trees
no curbs
no ditches
no traffic
Although I do drive in MDM, I very rarely try to get a big slide going. Think I'm a little scared after hitting a tree in my e39 when I was 21 thinking I was ken block.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #29
roscopeeco
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5

Update. Original shop quoted me 6.5k in repairs. That was changing the knuckle wheel bearing, lower control arm and steering rack.

Had it towed to a shop whose owner worked for BMW for 20 years. He was skeptical about my original quote. He replaces both control arms test drove it ran diagnostics and all the codes were gone. He said it drove perfect. Those repairs costed me 1,500. I love honest repair shops. He is located in Mequon Wisconsin just north of Milwaukee if anyone is in that area.
Appreciate 2
OneExtra810.50
boots623.00
      06-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #30
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Update. Original shop quoted me 6.5k in repairs. That was changing the knuckle wheel bearing, lower control arm and steering rack.

Had it towed to a shop whose owner worked for BMW for 20 years. He was skeptical about my original quote. He replaces both control arms test drove it ran diagnostics and all the codes were gone. He said it drove perfect. Those repairs costed me 1,500. I love honest repair shops. He is located in Mequon Wisconsin just north of Milwaukee if anyone is in that area.
1500 for 2 control arms seems expensive but hey, it's not 6.5k and you got your car back. Well worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #31
roscopeeco
Private
Rep

I am not sure it was just two control arms. That was the majority of it. Those parts are around 400 each I believe. I think I remember him saying something about three things were done to it. I am not complaining. Just happy it was nothing major.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 12:17 PM   #32
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure it was just two control arms. That was the majority of it. Those parts are around 400 each I believe. I think I remember him saying something about three things were done to it. I am not complaining. Just happy it was nothing major.
I agree. The other garage would have likely charged you the same whether it needed everything or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:27 PM   #33
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

we all do things that f things up. if we cant giggle about it something is wrong. and I'm quite sure we all laugh at our own bone headed things. . learn and move on w it. nobody was bashing the guy.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #34
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Just hope that the engine cradle isn't damaged. Then the fix is going to be significantly higher -- and a part that is ordered from Germany -- oh, those lead times....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #35
roscopeeco
Private
Rep

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Just hope that the engine cradle isn't damaged. Then the fix is going to be significantly higher -- and a part that is ordered from Germany -- oh, those lead times....
I am sure you do not know more than a mechanic that has worked on BMWs for 20 years. Don't be a fun sponge.

I hit a curb. I didn't run into a wall.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #36
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Quote:
I am sure you do not know more than a mechanic that has worked on BMWs for 20 years. Don't be a fun sponge.

I hit a curb. I didn't run into a wall.
Just speaking from my experience from earlier this year. Chillll squarepants is a national treasure. .
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #37
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

glad the beast is back in action kid. now go drive it like you stole it. that is w traction control on this time.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #38
monmart
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gray X3 M Comp

Can someone tell me what MDM means?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #39
roscopeeco
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Just speaking from my experience from earlier this year. Chillll squarepants is a national treasure. .
What happened to yours?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #40
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monmart View Post
Can someone tell me what MDM means?
Stands for M Dynamic Mode. Here is BMW's description: "Another way to boost driving pleasure option is with the M Dynamic Mode (MDM). This gives the vehicle higher lateral dynamics and lateral acceleration for controlled drifting. However, if the car begins to turn too far, the DSC will switch back on, power to the engine is reduced and braking pulses are activated via the vehicles sensors."

It's basically a less intrusive Form of traction control.
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0