M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
nothingbutspeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Stage 3 E85 Audi RS3

Intake Sound? (About to start Modding)

Hey all have done much searching and can't seem to find on here, or anywhere else of the detailed changes an intake makes sound wise. I have searched on youtube and found several videos of cars open hood revving, and a couple of the intake/blowoff valve from another car.

I'm curious how car sounds with windows rolled up vs down? Is it louder, etc.

I am really only considering BMS due to price point and DD. Afraid of Gamma and other front mounted intakes for DD use as well as the sticker shock.

Thanks all,

Currently have but not installed Turner Exhaust, and Open Flash tune. Ordered NGK 97506 plugs (RM European $8 each) and Bosch Coils, along with Liqui Moly Molygen 5w-40, Mahle Filter, and a magnetic drain plug for my stock 2013, along with 305/30/20 PS4S tires, to replace my 295 PSS currently.

Debating Catless DP and/or Intake options.

Most people doing things one by one, I like the shotgun approach, all at once. Only looming issue I think would be stock clutches, but plan not to drag race the car and only utilize power from higher rpm's 4k & up to preserve, plus OFT limits tq to around 600 area from my understanding. I hear injector issues from time to time, but trying to prevent anything from coming up by using chevron techron cleaner from time to time and only Shell Gas.

Wow I can ramble, apologize for the verbal vomit above.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

The videos of the BMS do not do the intakes justice. I purchased a set although I couldn't find any decent videos or many people who had used them, everyone prefers to spend a months wages on grill mount intakes.

I personally think the BMS sound great, you can hear them very well in the cabin and the car turns 10x more heads than it used to so I'm assuming it sounds great outside also.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
nothingbutspeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Stage 3 E85 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
The videos of the BMS do not do the intakes justice. I purchased a set although I couldn't find any decent videos or many people who had used them, everyone prefers to spend a months wages on grill mount intakes.

I personally think the BMS sound great, you can hear them very well in the cabin and the car turns 10x more heads than it used to so I'm assuming it sounds great outside also.
Thank you for the reply that's exactly what I was wondering and figuring it did sound good.

Appreciate the reply. Only concern I have is MAF issue that some have stated with intake for some reason?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbutspeed View Post
Thank you for the reply that's exactly what I was wondering and figuring it did sound good.

Appreciate the reply. Only concern I have is MAF issue that some have stated with intake for some reason?
MAF issues are caused by oiled filters. Providing the filters are not over oiled you shouldn't see a problem, Others might argue with this though. Also some intakes will cause a cel as the ECU is not used to the additional air.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Smokey550ims
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Comp Pkg

If you are looking for performance improvements, the stock intake system is the best. If you are interested in an aggressive sound, then the aftermarket intakes are for you. Just remove the carbon filters from the stock system and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0