M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2019, 02:05 PM   #23
pmatias03
Private
United_States
9
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Just crossed 20k
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:04 PM   #24
M5avage
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 2014 F10 COMP M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

just about 38k
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #25
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
SLOWER's Avatar
United_States
258
Rep
1,643
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
2003 M3 Convertible  [0.00]
I am at 18500 but only about 200 of those are miles by me. The weather is so crappy and the roads are so salted that I have only gotten a couple days since purchase.

What are the symptoms to keep an eye on for these leaking coolant lines. How does that problem become apparent?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #26
Davie3door
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Motherwell

iTrader: (0)

37000 miles
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #27
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
Yay-Z's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
543
Posts

Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

43K and loving it, had to replace maf sensor due to rough idle at cold startup but no biggie.
__________________
2015 F10 M5 CP
2013 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #28
Jasoneo5
Private First Class
15
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: M6 Gran Coupe, M3, Turbo S
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay area

iTrader: (1)

65k as my commuter. DIY'd Coils/Plugs, Brakes and Turbo Coolant lines. All is well
Appreciate 1
94jedi267.50

      02-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #29
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
122
Rep
546
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
I am at 18500 but only about 200 of those are miles by me. The weather is so crappy and the roads are so salted that I have only gotten a couple days since purchase.

What are the symptoms to keep an eye on for these leaking coolant lines. How does that problem become apparent?
The small hoses sit just above the turbos as you probably know and the original silver hose protectors can become brittle after a while with the inner felt falling off leading to one or more of the hoses to literarilly fry and hence leak.
Worth popping the engine cover off, removing the protectors and having a look.

Last edited by M5theonlyone; 02-02-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 03:28 AM   #30
YanoM5
Second Lieutenant
46
Rep
291
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: WA

iTrader: (1)

I’m at 80k? Got it when it had 50k. Had to replace basic wear and tear stuff; tires, rear rotors and brakes. Then at 73k miles when I went Stage 2, I had to change out my spark plugs. Other than that 80k miles, fires up and drives like a champ.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #31
Rikardo82
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 f10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZANDERZA View Post
Hi guys
I have been reading quite a few horror stories of late, from people who have had catastrophic engine failures.
From spun rod bearings, to bent rods right through to big gaping holes through the block.
This makes me wonder, how many problem-free high mileage
F10 M5 are there that obviously still has their original engine?
How many people have had their engines replaced due to failure?
Look when something happens people come to forum and report. When car running fine nobody complain in forum so things happen. And of course also because of tuning crazy driving etc
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #32
schrickm5
Private First Class
schrickm5's Avatar
Sweden
9
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 F10 Comp 2014
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden, (Europe)

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to schrickm5
49k miles. mainly driven in the summers (2014 MY).
__________________
2014 M5 Competition in Alpine White III
[SIGPIC]

Previous Cars:- 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 > 1989 E24 635CSi > 1984 E30 323i
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #33
OneExtra
Captain
United Kingdom
337
Rep
870
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Comp Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

12,500 miles in 2.5 years
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #34
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
122
Rep
546
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
12,500 miles in 2.5 years
Your strangling that car by not driving it a lot, use it more then you and it will be happier
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #35
AddyDaddy
Private First Class
42
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Westpalm Fl.

iTrader: (0)

Just hit 43k miles only had it for 4K of them.
Had a bad coil and plug. Nothing big yet. Been thru a lot of BMWs and so has my family
All just feel like the best built cars compared to other brands from seats to stereos. That being said, on previous models I've had turbos replaced on last car 2 times and 1 time on my 2012. Having warranty is good idea "just in case"
__________________
2013 535i M, Carbon black with black, tech, sports, ,BMS intake, 20' 6 series wheels. Totaled December 2018

2013 M5 Stock, Individual Silver
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #36
OneExtra
Captain
United Kingdom
337
Rep
870
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Comp Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Your strangling that car by not driving it a lot, use it more then you and it will be happier
I have to agree, its not ideal to use it 1-2 times a month in the winter, I think the issue with the brakes is partly down to this as the last owner only did low miles and I think kept it outside for long periods.

I at least am able to garage it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #37
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
122
Rep
546
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I have to agree, its not ideal to use it 1-2 times a month in the winter, I think the issue with the brakes is partly down to this as the last owner only did low miles and I think kept it outside for long periods.

I at least am able to garage it.
I was keeping mine outside for a bit to check if rain water was penetrating the sunroof channels,happily not even a drop is getting through.
I use mine every other day for the school run and going in to town on the odd occasion; the original brake discs on it are in good shape at nearly 34000 mi.
So what's the current situation with your discs, you getting them changed or what, perhaps skimming them is the answer to bring them back into shape if they are wonky.
That's what I would do rather than raiding the reserves for serious cash for new ones..it's easy to overspend on these motors.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #38
OneExtra
Captain
United Kingdom
337
Rep
870
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Comp Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I was keeping mine outside for a bit to check if rain water was penetrating the sunroof channels,happily not even a drop is getting through.
I use mine every other day for the school run and going in to town on the odd occasion; the original brake discs on it are in good shape at nearly 34000 mi.
So what's the current situation with your discs, you getting them changed or what, perhaps skimming them is the answer to bring them back into shape if they are wonky.
That's what I would do rather than raiding the reserves for serious cash for new ones..it's easy to overspend on these motors.
I had them checked and they were 0.4mm and 0.5mm out, I could have had them skimmed but decided to get new discs and pads fitted instead.

Managed to get the parts at a much reduced rate as well as a reduction on the labour, about 33% less than the proper cost for parts and labour

The discs are going to a friend for a fair price and he will get them skimmed.

Looking at the pads though is a little worrying as there are lumps of pad missing maybe where they stuck to the disc, about the size of a small pea and in a lot of places.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #39
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
122
Rep
546
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I had them checked and they were 0.4mm and 0.5mm out, I could have had them skimmed but decided to get new discs and pads fitted instead.

Managed to get the parts at a much reduced rate as well as a reduction on the labour, about 33% less than the proper cost for parts and labour

The discs are going to a friend for a fair price and he will get them skimmed.

Looking at the pads though is a little worrying as there are lumps of pad missing maybe where they stuck to the disc, about the size of a small pea and in a lot of places.
That's good, any discount is better than paying full stealership price.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #40
black_F10M5
Second Lieutenant
black_F10M5's Avatar
51
Rep
276
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

currently only 9,500 miles

2016 CPO purchased last August with 8K on the clock
__________________
2016 M5

M Performance , IND , RKP cosmetic and aero | Eisenmann Race exhaust | Eventuri intake | KW v3 coilovers | BBS FI
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST