M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

05-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Ceramic Coating

Hi guys - recently picked up a '15 F10 M5 with CP in Sapphire Black metallic and the paint needs some TLC (clay bar, polish etc.). I am getting paint correction done by a pro next week and he suggested getting ceramic coating done. He's a certified Ceramic Pro dealer and also has Kamikaze, 22ple, and Optimum Ceramic coating.

I did some research and looks like these products on average are under $200 (liquid plus applicator) for a good quality product. Google search shows that AvalonKing Armor Shield IX is the top leader (not sure if anyone here has this one and can vouch for it).

The pro is charging several hundred dollars to do ceramic coating.

My question to the fellow members is, is there a trick or skill required to do this? (according to YouTube videos you run the applicator in a straight line).

Is it worth getting it done from the pro since they know exactly how to apply it or if I do it myself I can mess it up (though I don't see how someone can mess up with applying a liquid wax)?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I'd recommend getting it done by someone. That's what I'm going to do soon (waiting to finish building the car). Unless you want to spend a lot of time/money learning how to do it right.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliusa View Post
Hi guys - recently picked up a '15 F10 M5 with CP in Sapphire Black metallic and the paint needs some TLC (clay bar, polish etc.). I am getting paint correction done by a pro next week and he suggested getting ceramic coating done. He's a certified Ceramic Pro dealer and also has Kamikaze, 22ple, and Optimum Ceramic coating.

I did some research and looks like these products on average are under $200 (liquid plus applicator) for a good quality product. Google search shows that AvalonKing Armor Shield IX is the top leader (not sure if anyone here has this one and can vouch for it).

My question to the fellow members is, is there a trick or skill required to do this? (according to YouTube videos you run the applicator in a straight line).

Is it worth getting it done from the pro since they know exactly how to apply it or if I do it myself I can mess it up (though I don't see how someone can mess up with applying a liquid wax)?
Seems like a couple hundred dollars is a relatively small price to pay for the right to blame somebody other than yourself if results are not 100% of your expectations. You may or may not get a warranty of sorts from a pro, but if you do, that would seal the deal for me. I blame myself for enough stuff already.
      05-22-2019, 05:03 AM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
Seems like a couple hundred dollars is a relatively small price to pay for the right to blame somebody other than yourself if results are not 100% of your expectations. You may or may not get a warranty of sorts from a pro, but if you do, that would seal the deal for me. I blame myself for enough stuff already.
To do a ceramic coating properly the car should be machine polished first to make sure the paint is 100%

Putting a ceramic coat on otherwise is stupid unless the paint is totally swirl free.

In the UK you are looking in the region of £700 for a full correction detail and quality ceramic coat such as Gyeon Duraflex.

Some coatings are guaranteed for 5 years and some for only 1 or 2 years so make sure you get the right one.

I had this one

http://gyeonquartz.com/product/duraflex/

Last edited by OneExtra; 05-22-2019 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohen15 View Post
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too....thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
To do a ceramic coating properly the car should be machine polished first to make sure the paint is 100%

Putting a ceramic coat on otherwise is stupid unless the paint is totally swirl free.

In the UK you are looking in the region of £700 for a full correction detail and quality ceramic coat such as Gyeon Duraflex.

Some coatings are guaranteed for 5 years and some for only 1 or 2 years so make sure you get the right one.

I had this one

I've been reading quite a bit about it and looks like many products claim to last for 5 years and some even as permanent, but typically they don't last for more than a year or two. Water beading may continue but the wax effect may not last for many years. As I mentioned on my post, I am getting the paint correction first (2 day job) so hopefully any and all swirl marks will be gone (it's Sapphire Black color). Thanks for sharing the link mate.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      05-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
I'd recommend getting it done by someone. That's what I'm going to do soon (waiting to finish building the car). Unless you want to spend a lot of time/money learning how to do it right.
Yes, getting it done from the pro and save the hassle
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've been reading quite a bit about it and looks like many products claim to last for 5 years and some even as permanent, but typically they don't last for more than a year or two. Water beading may continue but the wax effect may not last for many years. As I mentioned on my post, I am getting the paint correction first (2 day job) so hopefully any and all swirl marks will be gone (it's Sapphire Black color). Thanks for sharing the link mate.
Mine was also Sapphire Black and I top it up with Gyeon Cure every other wash just to keep it looking amazing. Takes 20 mins max
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 05:47 AM   #9
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

I think to get the scratches/swirls out (which is basically the most important part of the process) you need to invest in some good machines, then you need the right pads, correct polishing compunds. etc etc
Its all going to add up to about 500usd anyway.
The thought of doing it myself is appealing though, but as everyone else points out its good to have accountability on someone other than yourself.
I'm leaning towards getting mine done soon, and then just waxing it myself every few months with a good Carnauba wax.

Previous Cars:- 2015 GTR > 2014 M5 CP > 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 >
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
airboss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC Marina Bay Blue

I just finished my M4 using Avalon King and it's very easy to apply and the car looks great. The prep is the time consuming part, I spent 2.5 days eliminating all scratches and paint chips.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:17 AM   #11
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
I picked up a Armor Shield IX kit the other day. Haven't had time to prep the car and apply it yet. I'll report back once I do.

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 1
aliusa85.00
      09-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #12
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

On top of the professional Ceramic Coating I got done on the car, I have also been using this product every 2 to 3 weeks. It brings a really nice deep high contrast and gloss to the Sapphire Black paint on the car. The moment I put it on the difference in shine was significant. It's on $13.99 at Walmart.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5715.50
      09-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #13
boomerang.e92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've spent around 40 hours in 3 days working on my car - paint correction and then ceramic coating. My best friend is a detailer so he taught me a lot of things and how to use polisher, etc; it's not a rocket science but you have to know what you are doing. If you are already doing paint correction then you should do ceramic coating immediately - prep for coating is also a process. I'd suggest to do it right and pay someone but if you would like to learn the skill I'd ask the detailer if you can stick around and learn from him. While BMWs have solid paint and lots of clear coat there's still a possibility of burning thru the paint which you do not want at all.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5715.50
      09-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #14
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I got Step 1 paint correction and ceramic coating done at the same time by a professional detailer. It was totally worth it and money well spent
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #15
Lennon997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:

its literally a joke to apply, a caveman could do it. But you need a full, proper paint correction first, this is why these guys charge over 500$ to do it, you need to take the paint all the way down.

that being said, if you can detail you can apply a ceramic coating with ease
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #16
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

i did my own ceramic coating, and i'm about to re do it.

originally did it in oct 2016 will be redoing it 4 years later.

As mentioned the paint correction (specially on a black car) can be a fairly intensive process. which IMO is most of the cost.

Ceramic coating can be applied fairly easily, there's enough kits out on the market to do it yourself.

Plenty of youtube videos.

For me it came down to the following

Local shop wanted 1200 to do mine.
my paint wasn't TOO BAD (my car is space grey)
So i did it myself (total of 12 hrs start to finish) i took my time

the most important, i enjoy detailing my car!

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312865

Last edited by xxpanipuri; 07-20-2020 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
aliusa85.00
      07-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #17
m5rosco
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post

I had this one

Is that something you would recommend? Would you have it done again on your next car?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:26 AM   #18
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5rosco View Post
Is that something you would recommend? Would you have it done again on your next car?
Yes I would but be prepared to keep adding a topper such as Gyeon Cure or P&J Beadmaker to keep the finish perfect
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      04-11-2021, 09:10 PM   #19
RuskyRambo550iX
Rep
Drives: 2015 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss View Post
I just finished my M4 using Avalon King and it's very easy to apply and the car looks great. The prep is the time consuming part, I spent 2.5 days eliminating all scratches and paint chips.
What'd you do to eliminate paint chips?
Appreciate 0