M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

06-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Dr. Happy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

General coding question

Long time BMW / BMW M driver however limited forum user.

Can someone please clarify the gymnastics involved with remote coding? Does this mean that the coding is done through a wireless connection direct to the car? I have read that a cable of some kind is required and I’m guessing that someone (V12, etc.) would then conduct the coding through a shared internet connection on the laptop connected to the M?

Now the real question… As stated numerous times on the forum all of the new features would be lost if the dealer updates the car. Is this 100% true or is it conditional (i.e. some dealer visits may result in wiping out the coding, others may not)?

If true, how does the dealership execute the baseline reset? Does the service tech step thru each setting using the cable? Do they use a USB dongle or a DVD / CD?

Bottom-line, is there a way to save the new coding that would allow us to easily recover from a dealer software upgrade? I don’t want to pay for coding, take my car in in a few months and have it be wiped out, and then have to pay 100% for coding as if it had never been coded.
’95 E34 540i Cosmos Black metallic Retired - ’97 E36 ///M3 Techno Violet 4-Door Retired - ’01 E39 ///M5 Sedan Black Sapphire metallic Retired - ’08 E64 ///M6 Coupe Carbon Black metallic Retired - ’08 E60 528xi Alpine White (Wife’s) Retired - ’11 E70 X5 xDrive35i Alpine White metallic (Wife’s) - ’14 F10 ///M5 Sedan Monte Carlo Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Happy View Post
Long time BMW / BMW M driver however limited forum user.

Can someone please clarify the gymnastics involved with remote coding? Does this mean that the coding is done through a wireless connection direct to the car? I have read that a cable of some kind is required and I’m guessing that someone (V12, etc.) would then conduct the coding through a shared internet connection on the laptop connected to the M?
Remote coding is essentially someone taking remote control of your computer to accomplish the task.

You will need the cable.....
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  35.0 KB

Plus you will have to download the support files >9GB data + TeamViewer. TeamViewer is the program used to make the remote connection.

Quote:
Now the real question… As stated numerous times on the forum all of the new features would be lost if the dealer updates the car. Is this 100% true or is it conditional (i.e. some dealer visits may result in wiping out the coding, others may not)?
Yes, 100% true. Dealerships cannot update individual modules, so if an update is needed they will update all modules even a module does not need the update. They simply don't have the tools or the expertise to update individual modules.

Quote:
If true, how does the dealership execute the baseline reset? Does the service tech step thru each setting using the cable? Do they use a USB dongle or a DVD / CD?
I have not had the opportunity to fully examine the machine used to perform updates, but it connects to the car via the OBD2 interface. Then they basically set it to update the car. They prefer not to perform the update because it takes a long time (~3 hours depending on how many modules need to be updated). And if something goes wrong, the process needs to be restarted.

Quote:
Bottom-line, is there a way to save the new coding that would allow us to easily recover from a dealer software upgrade? I don’t want to pay for coding, take my car in in a few months and have it be wiped out, and then have to pay 100% for coding as if it had never been coded.
No, sorry. The only thing I would recommend is updating the car to the latest software before the coding session. What's your cars build date? If its before March 2014 an update is available. The quickest way to tell it to look at the main screen. If you have a + sign on the right edge, you have the older version.
Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  145.8 KB

Closer look
Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  105.2 KB

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

To be clear, not every dealer visit will result in a wipe of your coding. Only if you need a software update for some reason.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Dr. Happy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Thanks guys!

My build date was 01/10/2013 and I do have a + sign on the right edge.

Before I use up a silver bullet at the dealership to get the latest software were there any notable enhancements between the versions that would justify my request? I know the questions coming and I just like to be prepared.

Thanks again!
’95 E34 540i Cosmos Black metallic Retired - ’97 E36 ///M3 Techno Violet 4-Door Retired - ’01 E39 ///M5 Sedan Black Sapphire metallic Retired - ’08 E64 ///M6 Coupe Carbon Black metallic Retired - ’08 E60 528xi Alpine White (Wife’s) Retired - ’11 E70 X5 xDrive35i Alpine White metallic (Wife’s) - ’14 F10 ///M5 Sedan Monte Carlo Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Before I use up a silver bullet at the dealership to get the latest software were there any notable enhancements between the versions that would justify my request? I know the questions coming and I just like to be prepared.

Thanks again!
Yes, some UI updates. Most noticeable when using navigation.

Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  513.1 KB

Name:  photo-2.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  475.1 KB

Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  473.9 KB

Also a new icon for random play from external devices etc.

Name:  photo-4.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  174.0 KB

The only hardware change I've noticed so far is opening/closing the trunk. Before the update let say it took 3 seconds to open/close, now it takes 2.5.

I have not noticed any changes with the drivetrain, power delivery, steering feel etc. My M5's build date is 9/13.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
ShawnBoston
Rep
Drives: 2018 McLaren 570S Spider

Thanks a lot everyone! Dr Happy and I are buddies (I'd like to think that I convinced him to get out of his M6 and into his M5 ) and I had the same questions. Really appreciate you guys answering these with such detail.

I'm pretty pumped about coding, particularly the activation of the dazzle free feature (stupid US rules that keep this from being turned on automatically), getting rid of the warning labels, retaining your M button settings, and a few other things.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

I don't think I could add much but V12 rocks, he has such such ana amazing customer service and very patient and will to go the extra mile.

Nice to have kids watch Frozen in my M5 vs SUV or Van - with mighty B&O sound -
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBoston View Post
Thanks a lot everyone! Dr Happy and I are buddies (I'd like to think that I convinced him to get out of his M6 and into his M5 ) and I had the same questions. Really appreciate you guys answering these with such detail.

I'm pretty pumped about coding, particularly the activation of the dazzle free feature (stupid US rules that keep this from being turned on automatically), getting rid of the warning labels, retaining your M button settings, and a few other things.
You're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

FWIW.. when I turned in my car, I told the dealer it had been coded so all the normal nannies weren't there. He said no problem, it would be returned to stock if the buyer wanted it that way... Pretty sure good dealers are used to coding.
      06-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
ImpetuousRacer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X P100D

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
How do you get a hold of V12, doesnt look like you can PM him?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Thanks again!
Dr. Happy .. I see you're at the Jersey shore ... I probably am close by ... would be willing to do your coding at no charge ... send me a quick e-mail and we can setup a time.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
rainmkr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5

Dealer Update

Took the M in yesterday for software update - bought it on 12/31/2013. It is a 2014 LCI.

He stated no updates - still have the "+" sign. Any body have info directly on BMW on which updates dealer needs to install. May need to spoonfeed them.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #13
M5TXGuy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 BlackSapphireMetallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmkr View Post
Took the M in yesterday for software update - bought it on 12/31/2013. It is a 2014 LCI.

He stated no updates - still have the "+" sign. Any body have info directly on BMW on which updates dealer needs to install. May need to spoonfeed them.

Thanks!
Well, thats completely wrong, I took mine into the dealership Tuesday morning and had the software updated. I now have the weird symbol, and not the "+" sign. Ill call my service advisor in the morning to find out what you need to say, if someone else doesn't give you the info tonight.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:07 AM   #14
rainmkr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5

Thanks

I am going to email my SA picture of symbol... thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0