05-08-2019, 01:55 AM   #111
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemaster21 View Post
Sept 2016 F10 M5, 40k On The Clock. Owned For 3 Weeks. Big End Bearing Failure, Thankfully I Had The Sense To Buy From An Approved Bmw Dealer, New Engine And Turbos Supplied By Bmw At An Unknown Cost But I Will Find Out When I Collect The Car Again.
They Gave Me A Brand New 5 Series As A Courtesy Car. Only 50 Mile On The Clock After It Was Delivered.
Should I Be Looking A Better Warranty From Them For The Engine Other Than The 12 Months Supplied With The Car At Purchase??
Nah, can't be, just doesn't happen on this platform.

Or so people think. Just another example of what can happen at such low mileage. Glad you got sorted though.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #112
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Sept 2016 F10 M5, 40k On The Clock. Owned For 3 Weeks. Big End Bearing Failure, Thankfully I Had The Sense To Buy From An Approved Bmw Dealer, New Engine And Turbos Supplied By Bmw At An Unknown Cost But I Will Find Out When I Collect The Car Again.
They Gave Me A Brand New 5 Series As A Courtesy Car. Only 50 Mile On The Clock After It Was Delivered.
Should I Be Looking A Better Warranty From Them For The Engine Other Than The 12 Months Supplied With The Car At Purchase??
Also, is there a reason you capitalize every word?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #113
Jasoneo5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 TTs, GS-F, RS6, M6 GC-sold

Are our bearings copper or aluminum? Want to be sure what to check for in blackstone test
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #114
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoneo5 View Post
Are our bearings copper or aluminum? Want to be sure what to check for in blackstone test
There's no copper in our bearings. I'm not entirely sure on the exact materials used though sorry.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #115
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
Also, is there a reason you capitalize every word?
I need this answered please. Being serious.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:45 AM   #116
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'm at 133k miles. no failures dont want any either.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:47 AM   #117
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Stantoneye, perhaps he likes his style of writing. nothing wrong w that.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #118
nullroute
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

So...I bought a used M5 2 years ago - 2014 F10 - was still under dealer warranty and maintenance which ran out last year. All service records show all work was done at BMW dealerships and I only took it to my local dealer as well. Recently went in for maintenance - they changed engine oil, diff oil, and some other stuff.

200 miles later, I hear a horrible noise from the engine - thought it was a water pump. Had it towed to the dealer - got the call - bearing material in oil and filter. Will need a new engine as there are chunks of metal that are all over the place. Dealer is trying to get BMW to pay for a new engine but what are my options if they don't?

I'm not that aggressive a driver - rarely go into manual mode but do like to drive in sport plus engine settings as the car is just more responsive. Not sure how this could have happened - I know I briefly touched red line recently when I forgot I was in manual mode after a stoplight but that was after driving over 100 miles that day - so engine oil would hav been warm (had a 90 minute break in driving).

Wondering if the dealer put the wrong oil in?

I'm def not going to buy a new engine from dealer - but is it worth to buy an engine from a salvaged car? or just sell this as is and someone can part it out? car was worth about 32K before all this - now wondering how much it is worth with a bad engine and how much to get a used one and drop it in? does it even make sense?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #119
S_CDSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 650 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullroute View Post
So...I bought a used M5 2 years ago - 2014 F10 - was still under dealer warranty and maintenance which ran out last year. All service records show all work was done at BMW dealerships and I only took it to my local dealer as well. Recently went in for maintenance - they changed engine oil, diff oil, and some other stuff.

200 miles later, I hear a horrible noise from the engine - thought it was a water pump. Had it towed to the dealer - got the call - bearing material in oil and filter. Will need a new engine as there are chunks of metal that are all over the place. Dealer is trying to get BMW to pay for a new engine but what are my options if they don't?

I'm not that aggressive a driver - rarely go into manual mode but do like to drive in sport plus engine settings as the car is just more responsive. Not sure how this could have happened - I know I briefly touched red line recently when I forgot I was in manual mode after a stoplight but that was after driving over 100 miles that day - so engine oil would hav been warm (had a 90 minute break in driving).

Wondering if the dealer put the wrong oil in?

I'm def not going to buy a new engine from dealer - but is it worth to buy an engine from a salvaged car? or just sell this as is and someone can part it out? car was worth about 32K before all this - now wondering how much it is worth with a bad engine and how much to get a used one and drop it in? does it even make sense?

thanks.
Take the advice from me man. Bought a 2013 with 64K miles (seems to be typical mileage you see these engines go when pushed hard or tuned)

Bought my car from a dealer and literally 30 miles later a rod knock and about 3 days later the rod blew through the block. Had my car get a rebuilt motor which was a nightmare and very expensive due to many reasons. Many members know my story...My honest advice, do not rebuild it or get a rebuilt engine if your looking at it from a financial perspective. I also would advise to not get a used engine as it clearly is just resetting the clock because its still just factory parts. My issue on the rebuilds is that you really have no way of seeing if its actually remanufactured or just a used engine.

Ive dumped so much money into my car from exterior mods to a whole new engine and baby the hell out of mine. Oil changes every 4-5k, new spark plugs, new fuel pumps, air filters etc..Tons of new parts overall... Car is honestly in immaculate condition and one of the cleanest 2013 cars most have seen. However my point is that you will be spending anywhere from 10k-16k on a rebuilt engine including shipping, install etc. Just not worth it unless you keep it a long time. If you sell as is you could probably get 20k for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #120
nullroute
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_M5 View Post
Take the advice from me man. Bought a 2013 with 64K miles (seems to be typical mileage you see these engines go when pushed hard or tuned)

Bought my car from a dealer and literally 30 miles later a rod knock and about 3 days later the rod blew through the block. Had my car get a rebuilt motor which was a nightmare and very expensive due to many reasons. Many members know my story...My honest advice, do not rebuild it or get a rebuilt engine if your looking at it from a financial perspective. I also would advise to not get a used engine as it clearly is just resetting the clock because its still just factory parts. My issue on the rebuilds is that you really have no way of seeing if its actually remanufactured or just a used engine.

Ive dumped so much money into my car from exterior mods to a whole new engine and baby the hell out of mine. Oil changes every 4-5k, new spark plugs, new fuel pumps, air filters etc..Tons of new parts overall... Car is honestly in immaculate condition and one of the cleanest 2013 cars most have seen. However my point is that you will be spending anywhere from 10k-16k on a rebuilt engine including shipping, install etc. Just not worth it unless you keep it a long time. If you sell as is you could probably get 20k for it.
Thanks - we will see what happens - the dealer is trying to get BMW NA to pay for the repairs (new engine + whatever else it needs). If not, then yeah - gonna have to sell the car as is for parts - not worth buying a new engine myself and not worth putting in an unknown used engine - would never recoup the costs of the engine/install plus drop in value due to the swap. Fingers crossed BMW NA comes through.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #121
AquilaBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Interesting thread. I come from the E60, E90 background and this was an issue on those cars, also the early E46 M3's. On the E60, it seemed the issue was the extremely tight oil passages in the V10 Block and a lot of owners not allowing the engine to fully warm up before hammering that love V10 beast. Average span was 80K on those engines - then all sorts of failures.

It's sad to see / hear it seems to be the same for the F10. Sadly, it seems post E Series like the E39, this is becoming a norm on ///M Engines.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #122
S_CDSM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks - we will see what happens - the dealer is trying to get BMW NA to pay for the repairs (new engine + whatever else it needs). If not, then yeah - gonna have to sell the car as is for parts - not worth buying a new engine myself and not worth putting in an unknown used engine - would never recoup the costs of the engine/install plus drop in value due to the swap. Fingers crossed BMW NA comes through.
i hope you get it taken care of man. If not, sell as is. You will be ahead financially. From my research and experience there isnt really anyone i would trust with a rebuild. But i also had such a horrible experience with the rebuild which scares me now from anyone touching my car besides BMW. BMW actually ended up tearing my car and the block all down and re-assembling everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #123
S_CDSM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
Interesting thread. I come from the E60, E90 background and this was an issue on those cars, also the early E46 M3's. On the E60, it seemed the issue was the extremely tight oil passages in the V10 Block and a lot of owners not allowing the engine to fully warm up before hammering that love V10 beast. Average span was 80K on those engines - then all sorts of failures.

It's sad to see / hear it seems to be the same for the F10. Sadly, it seems post E Series like the E39, this is becoming a norm on ///M Engines.
Ive never driven the V10 but had one that passed me the other day on the highway with a full exhaust on it. I got into a wreck (hit and run) and the thing passed me roaring. Sounded amazing. Performance wise they do not hold up to the F10 and the F10 is still much better car reliability wise. As these cars get newer they keep getting better.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #124
nullroute
Registered
Rep

Quote:
i hope you get it taken care of man. If not, sell as is. You will be ahead financially. From my research and experience there isnt really anyone i would trust with a rebuild. But i also had such a horrible experience with the rebuild which scares me now from anyone touching my car besides BMW. BMW actually ended up tearing my car and the block all down and re-assembling everything.
While I'm waiting for BMW to figure out their thing - anyone have suggestions on where to go to sell a car with a blown engine? Carbrain gave me a quote for about 10K along with a guy I found on Craigslist from Sac that I guess is in the business of parting out BMWs. In the SF Bay Area.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #125
S_CDSM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
While I'm waiting for BMW to figure out their thing - anyone have suggestions on where to go to sell a car with a blown engine? Carbrain gave me a quote for about 10K along with a guy I found on Craigslist from Sac that I guess is in the business of parting out BMWs. In the SF Bay Area.
that low? damn. wasnt expecting that. For that amount maybe you should fix it haha
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #126
AquilaBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oh.... We are in the same area. I'm in SFO too. Shoot me a PM. Details on the car and maybe pics. I might know someone who could use the car. Also, let me know what you have in mind. Wish it was something I could help with, but I haven't touched an F10 engine to that extent.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #127
AquilaBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ive never driven the V10 but had one that passed me the other day on the highway with a full exhaust on it. I got into a wreck (hit and run) and the thing passed me roaring. Sounded amazing. Performance wise they do not hold up to the F10 and the F10 is still much better car reliability wise. As these cars get newer they keep getting better.
The V10's are kinda surreal to drive, they truly sound like roaring F1's cars with exhaust systems and such. However, they are like dating a super model - pay them close and constant attention.... or else!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:53 PM   #128
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by basemodel325 View Post
So I tore my n63 down to fix rod bearings and inspect. Surprisingly easy job.

Any ways the back two cylinders rod bearings were spun. I'm wondering what caused this, oil starvation on that journal ??
Old thread revival but book time is nearly 40hrs so I can't see how this would be surprisingly easy...and this guy hasn't been online for 4yrs either :/
Appreciate 0