M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

01-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
NJ Car Inspection - Catless DPs

Hey guys,

I'm moving to NJ next month and my 2014 M5 has catless dp's with a tune. I've heard that NJ is not an easy state to pass inspection with catless dp's. Looking for some advice here to see if it's possible to pass inspection with catless dp's and my tune or if I need to switch back the stock cats?

Any shop recommendations are also appreciated! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
AW335OME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E90 M3, F80 M3

Sorry but you will not pass NJ State Inspection at a DMV inspection center with Catless DP's even with a tune clearing the SES light.

Appreciate 1
pmatias03119.00
      01-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

NJ Car Inspection - Catless DPs

Welcome!!!

what part are you situated for us to suggest some shops?

I have seen people drive around catless, dont get me wrong, however, I personally do not think it's worth it as the crackdown by state troopers has intensified - that is if you get past the dmv emissions testing.
      01-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pTron View Post
Welcome!!!

what part are you situated for us to suggest some shops?

I have seen people drive around catless, dont get me wrong, however, I personally do not think it's worth it as the crackdown by state troopers has intensified - that is if you get past the dmv emissions testing.
Thanks! North Jersey - Bergen County. Any shop recommendations would be appreciated. I've had a catless setup for quite sometime in NYC with no trouble but I've been hearing that NJ Inspection is more difficult with the cameras under the car and all at the inspection centers.

I'd prefer to not change back to stock cats in order to pass but I'll do it since if I have to since it's only every 2 years I need to pass in NJ inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

I have used Elite Motors in Lodi. Sam is quite knowledgeable, though his rates are not much cheaper than BMWs it is one of the better shops in the region. I can pay a modest fee if I can trust the guy who works on my cars.

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts or options.

Till few years ago, for all dealership work I used to go Park Ave BMW - Simeon is the guy who I dealt with all the time. He used to work at Prestige BMW (now called Ramsey BMW) when I first started dealing with him for my e92.

In NJ, based on your wallet you can go any route - change cats for DMV inspection each time or use high flow ones permanently. It should not be a problem going either route. The $$ may vary in each case. Find a good shop and you should be set.

Good luck!
      01-25-2020, 11:46 PM   #6
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pTron View Post
I have used Elite Motors in Lodi. Sam is quite knowledgeable, though his rates are not much cheaper than BMWs it is one of the better shops in the region. I can pay a modest fee if I can trust the guy who works on my cars.

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts or options.

Till few years ago, for all dealership work I used to go Park Ave BMW - Simeon is the guy who I dealt with all the time. He used to work at Prestige BMW (now called Ramsey BMW) when I first started dealing with him for my e92.

In NJ, based on your wallet you can go any route - change cats for DMV inspection each time or use high flow ones permanently. It should not be a problem going either route. The $$ may vary in each case. Find a good shop and you should be set.

Good luck!
Thanks man I appreciate the feedback and recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:04 PM   #7
PCF10M5
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Did you pass inspection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
I’m looking to buy a ‘16 F10M5 (live in NJ) and it has a tune, cat-back exhaust, & DPs with secondary cat delete. Curious if I’m signing up for trouble by not being able to pass inspection. Welcome any and all feedback/guidance from those that have been there/done that.

What specifically did you do for your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 11:44 AM   #8
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCF10M5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
I'm looking to buy a '16 F10M5 (live in NJ) and it has a tune, cat-back exhaust, & DPs with secondary cat delete. Curious if I'm signing up for trouble by not being able to pass inspection. Welcome any and all feedback/guidance from those that have been there/done that.

What specifically did you do for your car?
You have 2 options really:

1. You can put stock DP's back on just to pass inspection which is valid for 2 years

2. Find a shop that will pass you. Tune does clear the codes so nothing will come up on OBD but if they decide to check under the hood or in a closed space they will smell the fumes and can fail you.
Appreciate 0