M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

08-16-2019, 04:00 AM   #1
yoogene
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Unlocking Carplay/android Auto via code?

I tried searching but the only options i've seen thus far appear to be from vendors selling the "code" to activate Carplay or Android Auto from their respective sites. I've also seen these same vendors charge upwards of $50-100 to "code" convenience vectors like VIM or remote trunk close.

I can't tell if they're literally just changing a code within the HU_NBT sector to allow this functionality, but i don't read enough German to be able to figure this out. I find it hard to believe it's supremely difficult given they can literally dump a few lines of code into a hex file and have it uploaded to your car via USB. I know time is money, and someone figure out the key to this, but I'm just curious as to what may be involved, and if it's beyond the capabilities of an OBD2 reader and Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoogene View Post
I tried searching but the only options i've seen thus far appear to be from vendors selling the "code" to activate Carplay or Android Auto from their respective sites. I've also seen these same vendors charge upwards of $50-100 to "code" convenience vectors like VIM or remote trunk close.

I can't tell if they're literally just changing a code within the HU_NBT sector to allow this functionality, but i don't read enough German to be able to figure this out. I find it hard to believe it's supremely difficult given they can literally dump a few lines of code into a hex file and have it uploaded to your car via USB. I know time is money, and someone figure out the key to this, but I'm just curious as to what may be involved, and if it's beyond the capabilities of an OBD2 reader and Bimmercode.
You need to have an NBT EVO headunit with iDrive 5 or later in order to code Carplay. Most F10 M5s come with NBT headunits that do not have this feature so you would need to do a complete retrofit in order to get those features.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
yoogene
Private
Rep

ahh, so it's not a simple line of code to "unlock" this feature? I only ask because this page appears to be able to code it without the additional hardware:

https://************************/pro...ctivation-pack

However, other sites i've visited require a $500+ HU retrofit to make this work, but then again, my search has been cursory at best.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
M3nt4l
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20, BMW E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoogene View Post
ahh, so it's not a simple line of code to "unlock" this feature? I only ask because this page appears to be able to code it without the additional hardware:

https://************************/pro...ctivation-pack

However, other sites i've visited require a $500+ HU retrofit to make this work, but then again, my search has been cursory at best.
If you can PM me the last 7 of your ViN I can see what headunit you have installed.

If you have NBT Evo ID5 or ID6 then the only additional hardware you "may" require is a WiFi antenna.

The rest will be a software activation.
Sat Nav Map Updates
SLI FSC
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
yoogene
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nt4l View Post
If you can PM me the last 7 of your ViN I can see what headunit you have installed.

If you have NBT Evo ID5 or ID6 then the only additional hardware you "may" require is a WiFi antenna.

The rest will be a software activation.
Thanks! PM sent.
Appreciate 0