M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #23
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Microphones on Edmonton streets listening for loud pipes

Similar to photo radar, cameras with microphones set to target noisy aftermarket exhaust

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/mi...for-loud-pipes

by DRIVING | AUGUST 20, 2018

Four cameras with microphones have been placed throughout the city of Edmonton in an effort to catch drivers and riders with loud exhaust that exceed 85 decibels, the first implementation of this technology in North America.

Along with the four cameras, another four display boards with microphones are being installed at different locations throughout the city.

“Sometimes its just beyond belief,” said Coun. Scott McKeen to the CBC. “People have altered their cars, trucks or motorcycles to make them really loud and then they roar around.”

According to the CBC, city councillors agreed to continue testing the noise-monitoring equipment to determine whether it can be used to enforce extreme noise, similar to how photo radar tickets drivers for speeding. But as this is a test project, there will be no tickets handed out.

Several Edmonton residents are happy with this pilot project, saying it’s a good place to start.

Cailyn Shaw, a sales associate on Whyte Avenue, explained to CBC that the shop’s alarm goes off regularly as a result of loud noise made from vehicles outside the store. Once the alarm goes off an automated voice in the store alerts customers that the police are on their way.

“Not only does that cause intense stress to us but anyone that’s in the store that doesn’t understand what’s happening, I’m sure it causes a lot of panic,” said Shaw.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 06:51 AM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
One of the reasons why we bought my wife's 2011 335is Coupe (being replaced by an 2018 M3 ZCP as soon as the car makes it to the dealer) is the burbles! The bespoke exhaust on that model is one of the best stock BMW exhaust systems I've ever heard.

During our 2011 Euro Delivery we would drive through small German/Austrian/Swiss/French towns with our windows down and back off the throttle. The narrow roads, with walls or buildings right up next to the road, would provide great surfaces to bounce the sound off. The car would just start burbling and burbling. And we would just start laughing and laughing because it sounded so good.

Fast forward to July 2018 and her 2018 M3 ZCP did the same thing. Burble, burble, burble. And we just started laughing and laughing again, just like we did in 2011. Glorious sound!

Enjoy the burble sounds while you can because in your lifetime, electric, or some other alternative fuel source cars, probably autonomous, will make no sound at all. Or it will be a fake sound...
Just got myself a 335is coupe and yeah it's really nice stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #25
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Natural burbles are nice, but artificial burbles can be annoying.
What about burrito induced pants ruining kind?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #26
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
burble tunes are lame.

and so are red start stop buttons
If you ever want to run for president, you have my vote.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #27
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Just got myself a 335is coupe and yeah it's really nice stock exhaust.
Never liked the 335is.... sounds hollow and meek.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Never liked the 335is.... sounds hollow and meek.
Well I unplugged my exhaust valve so maybe that's why but right now it sounds fantastic. Looking for more burbles and aggressiveness so I'll probably be getting downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #29
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Well I unplugged my exhaust valve so maybe that's why but right now it sounds fantastic. Looking for more burbles and aggressiveness so I'll probably be getting downpipes.
Screw these valves. I have the valves on my Hellcat open 24/7 now.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #30
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Well the super car owners in edmonton wont
Care about the fines im sure lol
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #31
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Screw these valves. I have the valves on my Hellcat open 24/7 now.
Hahaha hell yeah
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #32
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
The burbles are nice when they're low key and subtle. I could do without the popping sound. It's annoying IMO and almost sounds forced.
      09-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #33
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
One of the reasons why we bought my wife's 2011 335is Coupe (being replaced by an 2018 M3 ZCP as soon as the car makes it to the dealer) is the burbles! The bespoke exhaust on that model is one of the best stock BMW exhaust systems I've ever heard.

During our 2011 Euro Delivery we would drive through small German/Austrian/Swiss/French towns with our windows down and back off the throttle. The narrow roads, with walls or buildings right up next to the road, would provide great surfaces to bounce the sound off. The car would just start burbling and burbling. And we would just start laughing and laughing because it sounded so good.

Fast forward to July 2018 and her 2018 M3 ZCP did the same thing. Burble, burble, burble. And we just started laughing and laughing again, just like we did in 2011. Glorious sound!

Enjoy the burble sounds while you can because in your lifetime, electric, or some other alternative fuel source cars, probably autonomous, will make no sound at all. Or it will be a fake sound...
Same. I love the burbles. Cracks me right up. I have the AA cat-back exhaust, so no valves for me. All burbles all the time
      09-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #34
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

natural buble is great, this artifical pops and bang non sense sounds like crap.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #35
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

That sounds terrible and cheap.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #36
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
I’ve seen a couple of comments distinguishing between “natural” burbles (good) and “artificial” burbles (bad). What’s a “natural” burble? I thought burbles were a function of your timing, which allows some unturned fuel to make it into the exhaust system, where it burns and creates the burbles and pops. Can’t almost any car be tuned to burble or not burble? And don’t the super cars burble due to the way they are tuned (in other words, intentionally)? If so, what makes a burble “natural?” Are folks just referring to how much burble you have and criticizing cars with “too much?”
      09-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
I’ve seen a couple of comments distinguishing between “natural” burbles (good) and “artificial” burbles (bad). What’s a “natural” burble? I thought burbles were a function of your timing, which allows some unturned fuel to make it into the exhaust system, where it burns and creates the burbles and pops. Can’t almost any car be tuned to burble or not burble? And don’t the super cars burble due to the way they are tuned (in other words, intentionally)? If so, what makes a burble “natural?” Are folks just referring to how much burble you have and criticizing cars with “too much?”
Natural: C63 is a larger v8 when ever you put an open exhuast on a larger high compression v8 on decel are hearinging the motor engine braking which causes grumbles and pops nautrally just from design of the motor.

Articifal: hanging injectors open for fuel that is un burnt running pass ther valves to the exhuast which then explodes causing pops and banks or flames.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #38
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Funny story.

I was driving on the highway minding my own business and a Hyundai Elantra was cruising next to me. Out of the blue i heard several LOUD pops and bangs that sounded like gun shots. It wasn't just random pops it was almost like rapid fire style. It scared the crap out of me because i thought something hit my car and it even woke my wife up saying WTF was that??

Turns out the Hyundai next to me wasn't stock and had some sort of exhaust and tune that made it pop/bang everytime he let off the throttle. Took me several seconds to realize it and I was just in complete shock that this stupid trend has now reached to a all new low. Why anyone would want it is beyond me.
      09-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #39
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

My car rumbles burbles and bangs when I let off the throttle (especially on higher revs) but keep the pedal pressed for say 1cm.
Thats not programmed in, its a result of the performance tuning. It runs quite rich at that stage (aftermarket supercharger, schrick cams, headers, kats, larger injectors).

Thats what they're trying to imitate.
The pops and burbles on that apollo arent intentional. result of the tuning.

But who cares when you hear that car scream as it revs to the limit. On larger distances you could mistake that for a 90's F1 car

Thats the sound I want to hear. (and you cant imitate that with a muffled turbo'ed modern average car engine)

A murcielago can also scream insanely (like in this clip, ignore the chitchat, the revving engine is worth that). The bizzarrini v12 is a peach (the murcielago has the final iteration)
(burnout at 1:25)

Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-05-2018 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #40
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

My favorite burbles and crackles belong to the V8 F-Types. Sounds like a shotgun going off. So awesome near buildings. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #41
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Toronto mayor wants to crack down on too-loud cars

From Driving.ca

Toronto’s mayor wants to use new technologies to hit drivers of excessively noisy cars and motorcycles with steeper fines, a letter he sent to the city’s licensing and standards chief reveals.

The city’s noise bylaws are generally meant to keep the volume of nuisances like construction, barking dogs or loud music in check, but that could change slightly to focus more on vehicles’ exhaust notes after a review of the municipal legislation is completed late 2019, reports the Toronto Star.

“It is my view that over the past year in particular, this has become a much more widespread problem affecting quality of life for residents and visitors alike,” Mayor John Tory’s letter to Tracey Cook, executive director of municipal licensing and standards, is quoted in the newspaper.

“It is disturbing people in their homes, during the day and at night, it is disrupting business and it is having a negative impact on tourists, all in the apparent cause of feeding the egos of inconsiderate people.”

Tory asked Cook to look to cities like Edmonton and London, England – which recently put in place decibel-meter- and red-light-camera-type devices to capture noisy cars and slap them with significant fines, respectively – as examples of the direction in which he wants to take Toronto.

The current bylaw specifically prohibits noise only at times when it is likely to be especially disturbing to residents; local police are largely tasked with dealing with non-compliance, but Tory would instead like to see bylaw officers track down violators instead.
I can't believe I used to like john tory back in my early 20s. Used to listen to him on am1010 all the time. Now I can't stand 1010 and listed exclusively to 640.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4653.00
      09-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #42
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I have driving gloves but no burbles nor red button

Wondering where I am on the fuckboi/douche rank
You're right up there
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #43
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

That’s one sweet lambo v12!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #44
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
My favorite burbles and crackles belong to the V8 F-Types. Sounds like a shotgun going off. So awesome near buildings. lol
These are the cars that started this nonsense. When they first came out Jag invited me to one of those pseudo street drive/auto-x/cocktail party things.

I get into the car and was like wtf are all these overruns for? It was soooo out of place on a car and powertrain like that, that I thought something was wrong with the car.

I suppose they do sound aggressive, though. But totally out of place with how smooth and "luxurious" the car drives.
Appreciate 1
xander_g962.50