M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-26-2018, 11:17 PM   #23
stockm5
Private
32
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 991
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have had MSR intakes on both of my F10 M5s and have drivin on them for over 70k miles through rain, dust and even snow. I clean them once a year and there is barely anything inside of the pipes. To see the condition of your turbo with that much oil and residue makes me believe there is a lot more going on here besides your intake. Maybe whoever installed it didnít tighten down all the hoses properly letting in big particals of sand and and debri. I have never ran the prefilters that are included with the intake but looks to me the problem could of been identified a lot sooner than when those pictures were taken. Removing the intake pipes and or inlets from
time to time and visual inspecting the inside of them would have saved you a lot of trouble, especially in your harsh climate. Either way it sucks when things like this happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #24
M5 TT
First Lieutenant
Scotland
23
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

So were the filters intact when removed? would it be a case of the filters getting shot blasted by the sand and over time the filter elements getting destroyed letting in larger particles than originally designed.

I see how these filter look good for power but I hate how they look for damage risk (not just MSR design, others like it).

In harsher environments might be worth fitting a nice polished stainless cover in front of the filter to take the battering from the elements. I know that doesn't help you much That's my intension when I build my own and I only live in the UK). Crazy money for some pipe and filters.

Expensive failure to deal with!!
__________________
RS7 FL
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 03:24 AM   #25
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
waleed760@gmail.com's Avatar
16
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.m6 View Post
Dude are you serious, your car looks like it was in a flood holy shit! I'm in Florida and have been running MSR INTAKE on my last two M5's and I can tell you I've never seen anything close to this and we have lots of sand, dust and always raining here. I asked MSR if I should run the prefilter and he recommended because of my area but I don't have the patience to slip them off and on lol plus I like the look of the filters.
Even though I feel bad for you and what happened!! But going on the forums and trashing a company for what ever reason is not cool and I'm sure so many here will agree. Sorry man just giving my opinion and personal experience. Peace!

I told him i don't like to post about his product something bad ( iam not like this kind of people) but he refused to refund me and told i will sell it as used for you then he called a layer.also he told you neglecting your car and i am alaways cleaning the filter and changing oil. but his filter not for our dusty climate.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 03:27 AM   #26
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
waleed760@gmail.com's Avatar
16
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 TT View Post
So were the filters intact when removed? would it be a case of the filters getting shot blasted by the sand and over time the filter elements getting destroyed letting in larger particles than originally designed.

I see how these filter look good for power but I hate how they look for damage risk (not just MSR design, others like it).

In harsher environments might be worth fitting a nice polished stainless cover in front of the filter to take the battering from the elements. I know that doesn't help you much That's my intension when I build my own and I only live in the UK). Crazy money for some pipe and filters.

Expensive failure to deal with!!
Before i have k&n filter on my dodge charger pusing around 700 whp before and never cleaned for 20,000 km never a tiny sand found inside and the car still running strong with my friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 03:39 AM   #27
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
waleed760@gmail.com's Avatar
16
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockm5 View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. I have had MSR intakes on both of my F10 M5s and have drivin on them for over 70k miles through rain, dust and even snow. I clean them once a year and there is barely anything inside of the pipes. To see the condition of your turbo with that much oil and residue makes me believe there is a lot more going on here besides your intake. Maybe whoever installed it didnít tighten down all the hoses properly letting in big particals of sand and and debri. I have never ran the prefilters that are included with the intake but looks to me the problem could of been identified a lot sooner than when those pictures were taken. Removing the intake pipes and or inlets from
time to time and visual inspecting the inside of them would have saved you a lot of trouble, especially in your harsh climate. Either way it sucks when things like this happen.
Our climate is dusty most of the time. I guess if you pay 2700 $ for intake you don't have to worry about anything else but it seems not
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:16 AM   #28
Craze
Lieutenant
85
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waleed760@gmail.com View Post
Before i have k&n filter on my dodge charger pusing around 700 whp before and never cleaned for 20,000 km never a tiny sand found inside and the car still running strong with my friend.
And was it placed in open air like the m5 f10?

Its possible some debree hit it and made a hole and then dust entered the system without you knowing
Or not installed correctly
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 05:05 AM   #29
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
waleed760@gmail.com's Avatar
16
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
And was it placed in open air like the m5 f10?

Its possible some debree hit it and made a hole and then dust entered the system without you knowing
Or not installed correctly
Yes close to the air vent on the bumper for the supercharge. What is more easy than installing an intake ! It an easy job i can do it my self. Installetion is 100% i checked it before removing everything. It seems that the place of intake is not correct.

Even the maf reading is way off than the stock boxes.also on high temp climente it will lead to higher intake temperature.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 05:46 AM   #30
Fast400
Captain
Fast400's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: X4 M40i G02
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waleed760@gmail.com View Post
Our climate is dusty most of the time. I guess if you pay 2700 $ for intake you don't have to worry about anything else but it seems not
Waleed,
I spent some time in Kuwait and given the dust storms and sand, I would only run the stock airbox....with the charcoal filters! Of course that is if you decide to rebuild instead of selling. The scratches didn't look terrible to me. It looked like some of that was the normal cross hatch pattern of the cylinders.
I would rebuild the turbos with the original airboxes and see how it does. Talking to MSR isn't going to do anything, as they won't do anything for you. As bad as it sounds, the best you can do is sell to someone who wants an intake.
There is a really good Turbo rebuilder here in Kaiserslautern Germany. He could rebuild the turbos if you wanted to send them.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #31
M5 TT
First Lieutenant
Scotland
23
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Waleed,

There is a really good Turbo rebuilder here in Kaiserslautern Germany. He could rebuild the turbos if you wanted to send them.
rebuild standard or rebuild hybrid
__________________
RS7 FL
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #32
Fast400
Captain
Fast400's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: X4 M40i G02
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 TT View Post
rebuild standard or rebuild hybrid
He'll do both...stock or modified turbine etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #33
TrevorM3
Major General
1289
Rep
5,925
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

lol
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #34
Mkai0
Second Lieutenant
27
Rep
233
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Black
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Unknown

iTrader: (0)

I love the sound of the Blitz air filters, but instead I opted for the K&Ns with the dry charger sock. Might be overkill and slightly decrease cool noise, but I wasn't going to compromise unwanted particles entering the engine. The person in the video has some balls doing this. It helped prompt my decision to use the dry sock cover.


Last edited by Mkai0; 01-27-2018 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: d
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #35
AWF10M5
Banned
170
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: f10 m5
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bikini bottom

iTrader: (7)

I had similar intakes with the kn filter and had one fall off for a good 200 miles without me noticing. After that incident I checked them literally every time I got out the car and avoided washes, rain etc.

Driving in snow the snow would build up all over the intake sometimes even covering it thickly. During driving in the heavy heavy downpour I would feel the car is sluggish who knows if it was in my head. I do know however the peace in my mind was always disturbed when it was raining or snowing heavy. I would always remove the grills and clean the snow off after the car sat in snow too just to be safe.

Sure the car was fine right now but down the road who knows. They certainly sound and look cool though. Next M5 however I may opt for the sock for total piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:35 AM   #36
M5 TT
First Lieutenant
Scotland
23
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
He'll do both...stock or modified turbine etc.
interesting. thanks
__________________
RS7 FL
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 12:38 AM   #37
M5 TT
First Lieutenant
Scotland
23
Rep
367
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkai0 View Post
I love the sound of the Blitz air filters, but instead I opted for the K&Ns with the dry charger sock. Might be overkill and slightly decrease cool noise, but I wasn't going to compromise unwanted particles entering the engine. The person in the video has some balls doing this. It helped prompt my decision to use the dry sock cover.

cool video. sock seems to work extremely well.
__________________
RS7 FL
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #38
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
waleed760@gmail.com's Avatar
16
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 TT View Post
cool video. sock seems to work extremely well.
i feel that it will reduce air flow also one of my friend installed on his MSR intake and caused his car to shut off.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #39
TheHouseWon
Colonel
TheHouseWon's Avatar
604
Rep
2,017
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (10)

No more MSRK intake for me!
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #40
HussainM5
Private
Kuwait
35
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: M5 f10
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (0)

i remove my msr intake after one week ..
mass air flow is totally wrong in this intake ..
i'm sorry for your loss waled ..
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2018, 06:44 AM   #41
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
waleed760@gmail.com's Avatar
16
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
No more MSRK intake for me!
MSR INTAKE will put you in situation that you will start to hate your car, really now i am listing all my part for sale. they should advertise as it dust collector it a very bad feeling to lose your car from an intake. never my life i lost a engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #42
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
waleed760@gmail.com's Avatar
16
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HussainM5 View Post
i remove my msr intake after one week ..
mass air flow is totally wrong in this intake ..
i'm sorry for your loss waled ..
my tuner also said that it will miss the MAF Reading. and he put a claim to any one who copy he's pipe Patented loool . in this world the angled pipe is
Patented
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #43
TheHouseWon
Colonel
TheHouseWon's Avatar
604
Rep
2,017
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waleed760@gmail.com View Post
MSR INTAKE will put you in situation that you will start to hate your car, really now i am listing all my part for sale. they should advertise as it dust collector it a very bad feeling to lose your car from an intake. never my life i lost a engine.
I have RK Autowerks with filters similar to MSR's. I took them off yesterday and found rust and tons or dust inside. Lots of dust and grime on the metal adapter, too.

MSR uses Blitz and RK uses some other brand (found some on eBay for $15!).

Stick with K&N cones or stock set-up with K&N drop-ins.

Just my opinion
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #44
waleed760@gmail.com
Private
waleed760@gmail.com's Avatar
16
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6M
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kuwait

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
I have RK Autowerks with filters similar to MSR's. I took them off yesterday and found rust and tons or dust inside. Lots of dust and grime on the metal adapter, too.

MSR uses Blitz and RK uses some other brand (found some on eBay for $15!).

Stick with K&N cones or stock set-up with K&N drop-ins.

Just my opinion
Well I posted this to help people prevent the problem that has occurred to me
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST