E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Issue, thieves and targeting homes/cars

12-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Issue, thieves and targeting homes/cars

I think i have been targeted today?!

Only just realised having thought about it again this evening what happened.

Everyone was out apart from me.
Ding Dong on the door bell.

i come down and a mechanic type chap was at the door, and said he was here ''to start a car''

i was like,

Carlos :''no car needs starting here mate''

Mechanic : ''oh right, but this is .... reeled off my address''

Carlos '' no definately not''

mechanic '' but it was for a bmw''

Carlos '' we have a few here mate, which model''

mechanic: ''not sure, whats the name''

Carlos: '' Fandango (well my real surname obviously)''

OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSS

thats where i fucked up, the geeza blatantly had all the info he needed but just needed my surname...

i walked straight into that one.

mechanic: '' oh no thats a different name to what i have''

Carlos: ''oh well, not needed here... cheers''

Not recognising the van name or anything?!

wasnt a local company id would have know and wasnt AA or RAC..

Whats your honest opinion? have i been lined up for a burgarly or something??

Carlos
      12-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
dxb335d

Carlos
Not beyond the realms of possibility Carlos.
Are there any other BMW's in the vicinity, that you have seen, or he could have been using the car as a means to an end, and your car was purely a smokescreen.

On the other hand, it could have been a genuine mistake.

I had something similar a couple of weeks back, so I've just been told!
There was a guy stood across the road,looking intently at my car and texting on his phone at the same time.
He could well have just been being nosey, whilst texting someone quite innocently, but it made me a tad worried, once I was told it had happened.

Just be extra cautious over the next couple of weeks, and never give out sensitive info on your doorstep, easy mistake to have made though.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Suggest you have a chat with the neighwahs, let them know your concerns.

perhaps change your movements this week.

SJ
      12-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I think i have been targeted today?!

Only just realised having thought about it again this evening what happened.

Everyone was out apart from me.
Ding Dong on the door bell.

i come down and a mechanic type chap was at the door, and said he was here ''to start a car''

i was like,

Carlos :''no car needs starting here mate''

Mechanic : ''oh right, but this is .... reeled off my address''

Carlos '' no definately not''

mechanic '' but it was for a bmw''

Carlos '' we have a few here mate, which model''

mechanic: ''not sure, whats the name''

Carlos: '' Fandango (well my real surname obviously)''

OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSS

thats where i fucked up, the geeza blatantly had all the info he needed but just needed my surname...

i walked straight into that one.

mechanic: '' oh no thats a different name to what i have''

Carlos: ''oh well, not needed here... cheers''

Not recognising the van name or anything?!

wasnt a local company id would have know and wasnt AA or RAC..

Carlos
Never give out personal information
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Never give out personal information
Man you think i dont know that, i just didnt think at the time.

What now tho
      12-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Your scenario sounds rather suspicious, like a one-on-one phishing attack or a casing of your property. It could also be an honest mistake. But in this modern, criminal laden world we live in, can you afford to take the chance on the latter? Your level of awareness should now be raised.
  • Talk to your neighbors. Explain what happened and your concerns for yours and their property. With them aware of the situation they are less likely to become a victim.
  • Ensure your doors are locked even while you're at home.
  • If it happens again, ask for their identification. Ask to see their work order or whatever information they have that directed them to you.
  • Keep your keys out of sight of the windows and away from the doors; this prevents sneakthieves from opening the door, taking the keys, and returning early in the morning to drive off into the sunrise.
  • Phone the police if you see the same person in the neighborhood in the coming weeks. It would seem rather suspicious for the same "mechanic" to visit the same neighborhood to start another car in a short period of time. It's better that the police check the mechanic's story and it be innocent than to have a preventable burglary in your neighborhood. Those types of things cause insurance premiums to go up.
  • Zoom out on Googlemaps.
  • Use your alarm anytime you're away from your house; use the zone feature to arm the alarm downstairs at night.
  • If you're in the back garden, keep the front door locked.
  • Don't give out personal information.
  • Swing for six.
  • If you're expecting a financial statement or replacement credit/debit card and it doesn't show up when expected, notify your financial institution. Change the PIN on your card even if you know for certain it hasn't been compromised. Consider changing it several times a year anyway. Don't carry your PIN in your wallet or write it on the card.
  • Use a paper shredder, preferably a cross-cut with a particle size less than 6mm, for all bank and utility statements, credit cards, or other sensitive, personal data.
  • Alter your travel routes to and from work or other places you frequent, even to the point of backtracking.
  • Be suspicious of everything.
  • Keep your fuel tank at least half filled at all times.
  • Don't answer your telephone with your name; simply say "Hello". Even your answering machine message should give just the phone number and plea. If you're a woman living by yourself, have someone else, preferably a male, record the message for you.
  • Women should not have their names listed in the phone book, only their initial. Sally Brown should be listed as S. Brown. Better yet, use ex-directory.
  • Dig a moat around Castle Fandango. Stock it with alligators.
Hey, you asked. No, I'm not paranoid...they really are out to get me.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269

Last edited by SoYank; 12-22-2007 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Your scenario sounds rather suspicious, like a one-on-one phishing attack or a casing of your property. It could also be an honest mistake. But in this modern, criminal laden world we live in, can you afford to take the chance on the latter? Your level of awareness should now be raised.
  • Talk to your neighbors. Explain what happened and your concerns for yours and their property. With them aware of the situation they are less likely to become a victim.
  • Ensure your doors are locked even while you're at home.
  • If it happens again, ask for their identification. Ask to see their work order or whatever information they have that directed them to you.
  • Keep your keys out of sight of the windows and away from the doors; this prevents sneakthieves from opening the door, taking the keys, and returning early in the morning to drive off into the sunrise.
  • Phone the police if you see the same person in the neighborhood in the coming weeks. It would seem rather suspicious for the same "mechanic" to visit the same neighborhood to start another car in a short period of time. It's better that the police check the mechanic's story and it be innocent than to have a preventable burglary in your neighborhood. Those types of things cause insurance premiums to go up.
  • Use your alarm anytime you're away from your house; use the zone feature to arm the alarm downstairs at night.
  • If you're in the back garden, keep the front door locked.
  • Don't give out personal information.
  • Swing for six.
  • If you're expecting a financial statement or replacement credit/debit card and it doesn't show up when expected, notify your financial institution. Change the PIN on your card even if you know for certain it hasn't been compromised. Consider changing it several times a year anyway. Don't carry your PIN in your wallet or write it on the card.
  • Use a paper shredder, preferably a cross-cut with a particle size less than 6mm, for all bank and utility statements, credit cards, or other sensitive, personal data.
  • Alter your travel routes to and from work or other places you frequent, even to the point of backtracking.
  • Be suspicious of everything.
  • Keep your fuel tank at least half filled at all times.
  • Don't answer your telephone with your name; simply say "Hello". Even your answering machine message should give just the phone number and plea. If you're a woman living by yourself, have someone else, preferably a male, record the message for you.
  • Women should not have their names listed in the phone book, only their initial. Sally Brown should be listed as S. Brown. Better yet, use ex-directory.
  • Dig a moat around Castle Fandango. Stock it with alligators.
Hey, you asked. No, I'm not paranoid...they're really are out to get me.
Very funny Floyd but some pretty good advice there nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 03:31 AM   #8
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Appreciate 0