GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Plano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
M Performance Spoiler Install

So I called my dealership today about seeing if I could purchase and install the M Performance Spoiler for my M4. They happen to have one in stock and are charging $520 + 2 HOURS of labor for a total around $900. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the install rather simple double sided tape? Where the hell is two hours of work coming from? Also looking for anyone that has installed their own to chime in on the install process/simplicity of it.

Thanks!
      10-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano View Post
So I called my dealership today about seeing if I could purchase and install the M Performance Spoiler for my M4. They happen to have one in stock and are charging $520 + 2 HOURS of labor for a total around $900. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the install rather simple double sided tape? Where the hell is two hours of work coming from? Also looking for anyone that has installed their own to chime in on the install process/simplicity of it.

Thanks!
Even easier on the M4 since there isn't a stock spoiler to remove (like M3).

Typically, the job takes about 1 hour with prep on M4.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano View Post

Thanks!
I did it on my M3 recently. I used the IND DIY found elsewhere on the site. The hardest part for me was the removal of all of the tape from the original spoiler -- this will not be a problem for you. I used goof-off and there is one place where apparently it sat a bit too long and left a very slight imperfection in the clearcoat (can only see it with tangential light, it's not a scratch, like it ate through a superficial bit of the coat but not down to the paint.). I hope that will polish out easy, but it's not obvious either. The install took me about one hour. I also used the adhesion promoter that IND mentions. It's quite secure.

Note: be careful when removing the plastic backing for the new spoiler tape as the BMW and IND instructions mention; if you break it rather than pull it off cleanly it can make life a touch harder

EDIT: $520 is also nuts; buy it online. IND will put a CRT stripe on for you if you want to spend too much money like me.

EDIT 2: can no longer see this clear coat issue I mentioned. Everything looks great!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Plano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I did it on my M3 recently. I used the IND DIY found elsewhere on the site. The hardest part for me was the removal of all of the tape from the original spoiler -- this will not be a problem for you. I used goof-off and there is one place where apparently it sat a bit too long and left a very slight imperfection in the clearcoat (can only see it with tangential light, it's not a scratch, like it ate through a superficial bit of the coat but not down to the paint.). I hope that will polish out easy, but it's not obvious either. The install took me about one hour. I also used the adhesion promoter that IND mentions. It's quite secure.

Note: be careful when removing the plastic backing for the new spoiler tape as the BMW and IND instructions mention; if you break it rather than pull it off cleanly it can make life a touch harder

EDIT: $520 is also nuts; buy it online. IND will put a CRT stripe on for you if you want to spend too much money like me.
IND is actually charging more than BMW is. Also, thanks for the info!
      10-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Plano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Even easier on the M4 since there isn't a stock spoiler to remove (like M3).

Typically, the job takes about 1 hour with prep on M4.
Great, thanks for the info! If I was in Cali I'd just take it to you guys!
      10-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
xTaitox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 SO

I installed mine in about 10 minutes once I got the stock one off. That was a HUGE PITA even after using the methods provided by IND.
      10-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTaitox
I installed mine in about 10 minutes once I got the stock one off. That was a HUGE PITA even after using the methods provided by IND.
I agree. Goof off helped. Used nylon tools to help "scrape". There was temporary clear coat irregularity that has resolved; Now that the spoiler is on you can't see anything, but what a PITA.
Appreciate 0