Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
zosoboogie
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4/Silverstone

Brembo Brakes Question

Not sure if this question has been asked before however is there a noticeable braking difference between getting the Brembo GT Big Brake Kit and the Brembo GT-R Big Brake Kit on the track?

The price difference is huge and at the track I am not an expert driver at all so any honest input would be great, Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

My honest opinion is you are wasting your $$$.

I have been tracking cars for years and the OEM brakes with a set of track pads and fluid is all this car needs. I had no issues with very hard 30 minute lapping sessions at all. The OEM rotors and calipers are absolutely up to the task ESPECIALLY for a more intermediate driver.

If you upgrade to bigger Brembo brakes then you are doing it for the feel good factor only IMO. Spend your money on track wheels and tires and HPDE registration fees. Just my opinion.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
zosoboogie
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
My honest opinion is you are wasting your $$$.

I have been tracking cars for years and the OEM brakes with a set of track pads and fluid is all this car needs. I had no issues with very hard 30 minute lapping sessions at all. The OEM rotors and calipers are absolutely up to the task ESPECIALLY for a more intermediate driver.

If you upgrade to bigger Brembo brakes then you are doing it for the feel good factor only IMO. Spend your money on track wheels and tires and HPDE registration fees. Just my opinion.
Cool thanks what about getting slotted rotors over the OEM rotors?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Generally, bigger brakes don't give you a performance increase by way of better stopping distances. They give you better performance by way of increased heat build up resistance and increased heat dissipation.

If your brakes can lock up your wheels (i.e. activate ABS), then your brakes aren't the weakest link.

If you want to increase braking performance (shorter stopping distances), put on stickier tyres (e.g. R-Compounds, Semi-slicks or Full racing slicks).

Of course NOW, with better tyres, you will be working your brakes much much harder, as they will generate a lot more heat in the rotors, pads and fluids, so then NOW you may benefit from uprated calipers, rotors and pads.

Past: 2009 Ibis White S5 (APR Supercharged V8)
Past: 2004 Imola Red M3 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoboogie View Post
Not sure if this question has been asked before however is there a noticeable braking difference between getting the Brembo GT Big Brake Kit and the Brembo GT-R Big Brake Kit on the track?

The price difference is huge and at the track I am not an expert driver at all so any honest input would be great, Thanks!
At your level the OEM brakes are perfect. Just replace the OEM brake fluid with something with a higher boiling point and you'll be good to go. As you get faster, then think about upgrading the pads. After that and when you're very comfortable on track, think about some DOT R compound tyres.

Bish
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Cool thanks what about getting slotted rotors over the OEM rotors?
Slotted are arguably better for track use but, again, for an intermediate driver the OEM drilled rotors are more than fine.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
zosoboogie
Banned
United_States
Rep

I have some experience...thinking getting stainless steel brake lines, 600 degree brake fluid for the first or second rounds then later upgrading the rotors to slotted as on my last car the cross drilled rotors cracked. Rotors, pads and some sport cups 2s as I drive to the track as well, Sebring, Daytona and Homestead!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
I have some experience...thinking getting stainless steel brake lines, 600 degree brake fluid for the first or second rounds then later upgrading the rotors to slotted as on my last car the cross drilled rotors cracked. Rotors, pads and some sport cups 2s as I drive to the track as well, Sebring, Daytona and Homestead!!
Brake fluid is all you need. Upgrade to stainless lines only if you want slightly better feel.

Other than that, save your money and wait until the stock rotors are spent before replacing them.
Appreciate 0