M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
frisky
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York City

iTrader: (0)

Post-Delivery Frozen Paint Protection Plan

So Im picking up my frozen paint car on Oct 10. I dont plan on even going 1 mile after delivery before applying paint protection etc.

I've already bought two items:
1. Swissvax Opaque Discovery Kit. I'll be waxing the car right after delivery whilst all the tourists look and laugh at me for being so anal.
2. Opti-Glass Coating for the windshield. Although I need to make sure a moron novice like me can in fact apply that without proper shop machines and equipment.

Anything else I should look into? What about wheel protection?


Thanks!
f.
__________________
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
Lerxst M4's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
639
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tejas

iTrader: (4)

I really like Dr. Beasley's Matte final finish for day to day upkeep. As far as protection I use the BMW Matte wax.
__________________
2018 F82 M4 ZCP
2015 F13 M6 ZCP (gone)
2013 F10 M5 (gone)
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
547
Rep
5,948
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I would not recommend the Swissvax Opaque Wax. The rest of their opaque products are great and I use them.

For paint protection, I would suggest either Dr Beasley's sealant or Nanolex Matte Paint sealant. Both will provide you with at least a year worth of wax-like protection without adding any gloss.
__________________
2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS 580
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Ordered: EQS580, BMW IX, Lucid Air Touring, Corvette Stingray
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
frisky
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I would not recommend the Swissvax Opaque Wax. The rest of their opaque products are great and I use them.

For paint protection, I would suggest either Dr Beasley's sealant or Nanolex Matte Paint sealant. Both will provide you with at least a year worth of wax-like protection without adding any gloss.

Thanks! I thought about using the Dr Beasley's sealant. Good to know its got the 'stealth.pilot seal of approval!' Just ordered it for when my car gets stateside. :-)

f.
__________________
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
frisky
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst M5 View Post
I really like Dr. Beasley's Matte final finish for day to day upkeep. As far as protection I use the BMW Matte wax.
Another vote for Dr Beasley's. Bought! Thanks!
f.
__________________
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek

Last edited by frisky; 10-21-2015 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
frisky
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I would not recommend the Swissvax Opaque Wax. The rest of their opaque products are great and I use them.

For paint protection, I would suggest either Dr Beasley's sealant or Nanolex Matte Paint sealant. Both will provide you with at least a year worth of wax-like protection without adding any gloss.


What are your thoughts on using Dr Beasley's sealant or getting an Xpel clear wrap done on the car like this guy: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...47&postcount=7

f.
__________________
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
547
Rep
5,948
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisky
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I would not recommend the Swissvax Opaque Wax. The rest of their opaque products are great and I use them.

For paint protection, I would suggest either Dr Beasley's sealant or Nanolex Matte Paint sealant. Both will provide you with at least a year worth of wax-like protection without adding any gloss.


What are your thoughts on using Dr Beasley's sealant or getting an Xpel clear wrap done on the car like this guy: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpos...47&postcount=7

f.
I have both. I have the XPEL Matte wrap on the front end - hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, rockers, rear bumper. This is a must to prevent chips.

In addition I have sealant on the whole car including the wrap.
__________________
2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS 580
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Ordered: EQS580, BMW IX, Lucid Air Touring, Corvette Stingray
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
frisky
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I have both. I have the XPEL Matte wrap on the front end - hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, rockers, rear bumper. This is a must to prevent chips.

In addition I have sealant on the whole car including the wrap.

Great! I'll be doing the same but wanted to hear it form the expert. :-) Does the "feel" or look of the frozen paint change at all with the xpel wrap?

f.
__________________
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
547
Rep
5,948
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisky View Post
Great! I'll be doing the same but wanted to hear it form the expert. :-) Does the "feel" or look of the frozen paint change at all with the xpel wrap?

f.
Bear in mind that my car has sealant applied to both the bra and the paint. When you run your finger across it they feel very similar. I think the bra feels slightly smoother, but it is very subtle. I had to run my hands several times to develop a perception of a difference.

In appearance - it looks the same except at very shallow angles. So if you look at the finish with your eyes just a little higher than the surface you will notice a difference - it will look slightly smoother or more satin. This is most evident when looking at the hood from the driver's seat. You will notice it is a little more satin.

However from most viewing angles you don't notice it. In fact I am the only person who notices it. Even the guys at the dealer didn't notice there was a clearbra till I told them, and then it was a thing they marveled at.

From my point of view this slight trade-off in appearance is worth it. The car still looks factory, there is not difference in tone. And there is no difference in gloss from most angles. It photographs as if it has a consistent appearance across the entire car. That slight increase in satin at some angles is the cost of not having any paint chips (which on this car would appear as black spots if I didn't have a clear bra).

If you have concerns, you could ask them to do one area first and live with it for a few days before deciding whether to get rid of it or expand the coverage. Maybe do the door mirror, or one rocker panel, or just the front bumper to start. I did the whole car the very day I took delivery, because I hate paint chips and I have a high trust in my clear bra guy (he's top notch and does all the work for Ferrari and Bentley around here).
__________________
2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS 580
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Ordered: EQS580, BMW IX, Lucid Air Touring, Corvette Stingray
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #10
frisky
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Bear in mind that my car has sealant applied to both the bra and the paint. When you run your finger across it they feel very similar. I think the bra feels slightly smoother, but it is very subtle. I had to run my hands several times to develop a perception of a difference.

In appearance - it looks the same except at very shallow angles. So if you look at the finish with your eyes just a little higher than the surface you will notice a difference - it will look slightly smoother or more satin. This is most evident when looking at the hood from the driver's seat. You will notice it is a little more satin.

However from most viewing angles you don't notice it. In fact I am the only person who notices it. Even the guys at the dealer didn't notice there was a clearbra till I told them, and then it was a thing they marveled at.

From my point of view this slight trade-off in appearance is worth it. The car still looks factory, there is not difference in tone. And there is no difference in gloss from most angles. It photographs as if it has a consistent appearance across the entire car. That slight increase in satin at some angles is the cost of not having any paint chips (which on this car would appear as black spots if I didn't have a clear bra).

If you have concerns, you could ask them to do one area first and live with it for a few days before deciding whether to get rid of it or expand the coverage. Maybe do the door mirror, or one rocker panel, or just the front bumper to start. I did the whole car the very day I took delivery, because I hate paint chips and I have a high trust in my clear bra guy (he's top notch and does all the work for Ferrari and Bentley around here).
Thanks for that detailed explanation. Makes me feel at ease knowing that the difference is totally negligible. I also plan on getting it done the day I take re-delivery, which looks like around after thanksgiving. I already have a quote for the full hood, full fenders (wrapped edges), mirrors, front bumper and will also include rocker panels as well.

THanks again!
f.
__________________
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #11
dsad1
Colonel
1211
Rep
2,404
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

On a 2 year lease, and this not being my daily driver, I am debating if I should do the xpel wrap. How much does it usually cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #12
frisky
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
On a 2 year lease, and this not being my daily driver, I am debating if I should do the xpel wrap. How much does it usually cost?

I was quoted $1800 installed on full hood, full fenders (wrapped edges), mirrors, front bumper, and rocker panels.

For me, its more about looks of the car - even if its a lease. I cant stand paint chips or non-factory look. Thats why I think its worth it. :-)

f.
__________________
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #13
Wills2
Barge driver
Wills2's Avatar
Ukraine
8568
Rep
12,362
Posts

Drives: 730d
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I used Swissvax opaque wax with zero issues, I'd recommend it.
__________________
730d/Z4C
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #14
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
DesertEagle50's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: near Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Same here. I love Swissvax opaque.
__________________
Those who sacrifice luxury for fuel economy deserve neither - Ben Franklin
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
dsad1
Colonel
1211
Rep
2,404
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I did the Dr. Bealey sealant a few weeks ago. I feel like in some angles the car has more of a shine than it used to. I am somewhat regretting it.

It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it just seems like in some angles/lighting it doesn't look as matte anymore.


EDIT-----

Actually, I think I am wrong. If I look at the below picture from when I first got the car, it seems like there is still a glossy look on the doors at this angle.



Last edited by dsad1; 12-31-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #16
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
547
Rep
5,948
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I did the Dr. Bealey sealant a few weeks ago. I feel like in some angles the car has more of a shine than it used to. I am somewhat regretting it.

It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it just seems like in some angles/lighting it doesn't look as matte anymore.


EDIT-----

Actually, I think I am wrong. If I look at the below picture from when I first got the car, it seems like there is still a glossy look on the doors at this angle.


I am convinced the Dr Beasley sealant does not add any matte. The car is meant to have a slight sheen. The Swissvax one does add a very slight amount of sheen. This means swissvax is good to use if your paint has dulled, but if its a new frozen car, I would avoid swissvax.

My favorite sealants for this car are:
Nanolex Matte Sealant
Dr Beasley's Matte Sealant
Permanon Supermatte

The Permanon does not last as long as the others, but it is the easiest to apply and is a good thing to apply in between details (you just spray it onto the car and rinse off. No need to work in.

I used Nanolex when I bought mine, Dr Beasley's at one year, and am getting Dr Beasley's done again today at 2 years.
__________________
2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS 580
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Ordered: EQS580, BMW IX, Lucid Air Touring, Corvette Stingray
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
dsad1
Colonel
1211
Rep
2,404
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I am convinced the Dr Beasley sealant does not add any matte. The car is meant to have a slight sheen. The Swissvax one does add a very slight amount of sheen. This means swissvax is good to use if your paint has dulled, but if its a new frozen car, I would avoid swissvax.

My favorite sealants for this car are:
Nanolex Matte Sealant
Dr Beasley's Matte Sealant
Permanon Supermatte

The Permanon does not last as long as the others, but it is the easiest to apply and is a good thing to apply in between details (you just spray it onto the car and rinse off. No need to work in.

I used Nanolex when I bought mine, Dr Beasley's at one year, and am getting Dr Beasley's done again today at 2 years.


Now I am starting to think there is more shine, I just don't remember my last frozen car being this glossy. I am going to get a detailer to look at it next week. I guess at this point, even if there is more gloss, there is not much I can do about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddvlhewulw...02.46.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5pl2u5nuf...03.17.jpg?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #18
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
547
Rep
5,948
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I am convinced the Dr Beasley sealant does not add any matte. The car is meant to have a slight sheen. The Swissvax one does add a very slight amount of sheen. This means swissvax is good to use if your paint has dulled, but if its a new frozen car, I would avoid swissvax.

My favorite sealants for this car are:
Nanolex Matte Sealant
Dr Beasley's Matte Sealant
Permanon Supermatte

The Permanon does not last as long as the others, but it is the easiest to apply and is a good thing to apply in between details (you just spray it onto the car and rinse off. No need to work in.

I used Nanolex when I bought mine, Dr Beasley's at one year, and am getting Dr Beasley's done again today at 2 years.


Now I am starting to think there is more shine, I just don't remember my last frozen car being this glossy. I am going to get a detailer to look at it next week. I guess at this point, even if there is more gloss, there is not much I can do about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddvlhewulw...02.46.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5pl2u5nuf...03.17.jpg?dl=0
You can call Beasley and ask how to remove it. I would imagine dish detergent would do the job.

However was your previous matte car a different color?

I have noticed that the darker matte colors have more sheen. Dark blue and black are noticeably satin rather than matte.
__________________
2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS 580
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Ordered: EQS580, BMW IX, Lucid Air Touring, Corvette Stingray
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #19
frisky
First Lieutenant
104
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Now I am starting to think there is more shine, I just don't remember my last frozen car being this glossy. I am going to get a detailer to look at it next week. I guess at this point, even if there is more gloss, there is not much I can do about it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddvlhewulw...02.46.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5pl2u5nuf...03.17.jpg?dl=0

Thats weird. I put on Dr Beasley's sealant on the entire car before and after I installed the XPel coating and Im not seeing any noticeable sheen. Although of course you will see some shine when viewed at an angle. The frozen / matte coating doesnt absorb light at angles as it does when viewed straight. So that might be some of it... Also - if you buff too hard it might also result in the shine effect ...

f.
__________________
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #20
dsad1
Colonel
1211
Rep
2,404
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
You can call Beasley and ask how to remove it. I would imagine dish detergent would do the job.

However was your previous matte car a different color?

I have noticed that the darker matte colors have more sheen. Dark blue and black are noticeably satin rather than matte.
Yeah it was frozen bronze, it did reflect the light differently.

I am going to get the detailers opinion, because I could just be imaging things. It doesn't help that the car is in the garage too. Waiting for a sunny day to take it out, which will probably be tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
547
Rep
5,948
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
You can call Beasley and ask how to remove it. I would imagine dish detergent would do the job.

However was your previous matte car a different color?

I have noticed that the darker matte colors have more sheen. Dark blue and black are noticeably satin rather than matte.
Yeah it was frozen bronze, it did reflect the light differently.

I am going to get the detailers opinion, because I could just be imaging things. It doesn't help that the car is in the garage too. Waiting for a sunny day to take it out, which will probably be tomorrow.
Yeah it's interesting. I just had Beasley applied to my car this week and I don't sense any gloss. In fact if anything I think it is too matte!

I am going to add some permanon to make it a bit more satin.
__________________
2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS 580
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Ordered: EQS580, BMW IX, Lucid Air Touring, Corvette Stingray
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #22
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
lemetier's Avatar
2614
Rep
3,046
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

I've had two Frozen Bronze 6er's and I settled on Swissvax Opaque.

The first car (640i GC Individual that was used as a display car for a brief time) had Permanon applied. I hated it and in fact, it was one of the reasons I got rid of it. There were a few spots where it "ran" and nothing would remove those unsightly blemishes. After numerous attempts (including having Paul Dalton take a crack at it), gave up in frustration. From that point forward, I avoided anything permanent or semi-permanent out of fear of having history repeat itself. I've also seen the others, such as Dr. Beasley's, applied to cars with similar finishes. They all will slightly change the characteristics of the color. Unless it's a matte wrap, or a matte sprayed on coating, simple physics will cause this subtle change. One must keep in mind, the Frozen paints are truly satin an not matte. The base coats are a metallic or pearl color with a gloss, then matte clear applied. End result is a satin color.

Quite honestly the fewer washes, the better frozen holds up and given its frosty clear, it doesn't look dingy as often as a gloss car. If for peace of mind alone, try the Swissvax and give it some time. At least with it, the product can be easily removed.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST