BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Akrapovic issue

12-14-2016, 03:10 AM   #1
Khalifa
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 (F87)

Akrapovic issue

Hello,

Yesterday I installed akrapovic exhaust system with the remote control and the garage who installed the system told me that I need to visit the dealer to program the modules so the flaps can open and close.

Because the original exhaust comes with only one flap which is on the driver side, but the Akrapovic on both side.

So I went to BMW garage and they said that they can't do it

So if anyone knows or already installed the system please Advise.

Thanks in advance.
Khalifa.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

If I were you, I'd ask Akra themselves... although I must admit when I wrote to them to ask them some questions they didn't bother to reply which pissed me off no end.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Khalifa
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
If I were you, I'd ask Akra themselves... although I must admit when I wrote to them to ask them some questions they didn't bother to reply which pissed me off no end.
I did contact them and they told me to do special program to the module in BMW garage.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I would visit a better installer...

With the exhaust there were some cables and two boxes (one CAN-sniffer and one logic box). These are installed in the trunk and take care of all the new modes for the extra exhaust valve and remote. It is clearly stated in the installation manual how to install this, these are available at Akrapovic.com. I didn't get any with my exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
Khalifa
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
I would visit a better installer...

With the exhaust there were some cables and two boxes (one CAN-sniffer and one logic box). These are installed in the trunk and take care of all the new modes for the extra exhaust valve and remote. It is clearly stated in the installation manual how to install this, these are available at Akrapovic.com. I didn't get any with my exhaust.
I did check the manual it doesn't say that I need to program.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalifa View Post
EDIT: see metrickid post below

Last edited by gmzanatta; 12-14-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
He never said you had to program, but rather that you need to buy the two additional boxes and install them to make it work. They do not appear to come as part of the exhaust system package.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't as clear as I intended.
All parts are included, it's just the instructions you need to get from Akrapovic.com.

https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.ne...bdf6f328ba.pdf

https://d1sfhav1wboke3.cloudfront.ne...ca192ddcc6.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
You don't. You just need to install the electronic kit in the trunk and attach it to the valves.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
So I went to BMW garage and they said that they can't do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Quote:
I did contact them and they told me to do special program to the module in BMW garage.
That's one of the reasons why I opted for the BMW M2 MPE instead of the M2 Akra: in principle, you won't be left to your own devices (aftersales hassle, chase e-mails, stress, etc.).
      12-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #10
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

For the cost of this you could get a cheap daily driver! When the time comes, I'll get out the TIG and some stainless pipe and make my own. I think I'll go from 4 outlets down to two since there is no functional benefit of 4 tips and get rid of all the flappy stuff entirely.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That's one of the reasons why I opted for the BMW M2 MPE instead of the M2 Akra: in principle, you won't be left to your own devices (aftersales hassle, chase e-mails, stress, etc.).
The OP's installera is a moron. It is a quicker install than the MPE as you don't have to cut anything and the electronics are installed at the same place and you get step by step instructions with photos and text.

Akrapovic replies quicker than bmw does too.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #12
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
All mentioned by Metrickid is true, same for me. Just have it properly installed and have your installer read the damn manual / instructions! Akrapovic has an importer in Arabia or maybe even Qatar, let your installer reach out to them, if he has a hard time understanding what to do. They will definitely help!

No need to code anything, if you do not go for a catless downpipe. Valve is not what it seems! There is no need to take the valve control from Akrapovic. The system opens and closes the exhaust at the end when you want it. The exhaust burble and control through the Sport and MDM buttons is not controlled by the valve control from Akrapovic.

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #13
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

This is one of the reasons I would only get Dinan or MPE Exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #14
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The flaps are easy. Wire them in parallel
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #15
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
This is one of the reasons I would only get Dinan or MPE Exhausts.
What reason? The original posters unqualified installer?
I don't think they could install he MPE either as it is exactly the same electronics in that...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #16
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
What reason? The original posters unqualified installer?
I don't think they could install he MPE either as it is exactly the same electronics in that...
LOL, literally, one job mechanic...

But yeah, FOR THE M2, probably would only install an Dinan or MPE (for the CF tips, they just look too good and would be the most uniform with CF diffuser)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #17
Khalifa
Qatar
Rep

Thanks and I appreciate your comments, the car still in the dealer and I will collect it on Monday and update you.

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #18
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
The OP's installera is a moron. It is a quicker install than the MPE as you don't have to cut anything and the electronics are installed at the same place and you get step by step instructions with photos and text.

Akrapovic replies quicker than bmw does too.
yup it should be easy for the installer to figure out. I'll see if my installer can hop on this.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #19
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

Quote:
Thanks and I appreciate your comments, the car still in the dealer and I will collect it on Monday and update you.

Thanks a lot
Chris here from Park Ave BMW. We recently installed the Akrapovic Exhaust on DetailersDomain M2.

The install itself is pretty straightforward. The remote (Sound Kit) you purchased uses what Akrapovic calls a "can sniffer." The two wires that correspond to the valves (yellow/red & yellow/brown) are placed into the can sniffer.

When we mounted the Akrapovic, we left the trunk liner out to ensure we had the right wires. Akrapovic's manual states there may be 2 sets of wires that have the same color. We saw 3.

Can Sniffer Wiring by Chris Palma, on Flickr

Make sure all the connections are tight on the control kit as well. You should see a green light on it if the devices are communicating.

Pairing the Sound Kit shouldn't require much. Just hold it close to the Control Kit and press & hold the button. Again this will only work if the right wires are on the can sniffer and it is communicating with the Control Kit. Check pages 14 & 15 of the manual for more help on that. The light on ther remote indicates the status.

http://www.akrapovic.com/docs/SoundK...tionManual.pdf

IMG_0551 by Chris Palma, on Flickr

That aside, there is absolutely no coding/programming/etc. that needed to be done.

There's really no telling what was done by the initial installer. You (definitely) have to pull the trunk liner out and see what was done. The Akrapovic manual is very clear.

Report back with any updates. I'll do my best to be of any assistance.

Last edited by cwhands; 12-18-2016 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
metrickid3027.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      12-18-2016, 12:58 AM   #20
Khalifa
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhands View Post
Quote:

Thanks a lot
Chris here from Park Ave BMW. We recently installed the Akrapovic Exhaust on DetailersDomain M2.

The install itself is pretty straightforward. The remote (Sound Kit) you purchased uses what Akrapovic calls a "can sniffer." The two wires that correspond to the valves (yellow/red & yellow/brown) are placed into the can sniffer.

When we mounted the Akrapovic, we left the trunk liner out to ensure we had the right wires. Akrapovic's manual states there may be 2 sets of wires that have the same color. We saw 3.

Can Sniffer Wiring by Chris Palma, on Flickr

Make sure all the connections are tight on the control kit as well. You should see a green light on it if the devices are communicating.

Pairing the Sound Kit shouldn't require much. Just hold it close to the Control Kit and press & hold the button. Again this will only work if the right wires are on the can sniffer and it is communicating with the Control Kit. Check pages 14 & 15 of the manual for more help on that. The light on ther remote indicates the status.

http://www.akrapovic.com/docs/SoundK...tionManual.pdf

IMG_0551 by Chris Palma, on Flickr

That aside, there is absolutely no coding/programming/etc. that needed to be done.

There's really no telling what was done by the initial installer. You (definitely) have to pull the trunk liner out and see what was done. The Akrapovic manual is very clear.

Report back with any updates. I'll do my best to be of any assistance.
They followed your instructions but it's didn't work, so I decide to remove it and keep it stock and get rid of this headache.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #21
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Ill offer 2k for the akra exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:40 AM   #22
Khalifa
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
Ill offer 2k for the akra exhaust
I prefer to put it in my office as a decoration rather than sell it in this price.
Appreciate 0