E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Pheonix Intercooler Install with Review and Tips +vid

05-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
FL N55
FBO N55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Auto

Pheonix Intercooler Install with Review and Tips +vid

I installed my Pheonix Intercooler today. I was very happy with the build quality, and it fit extremely well. The IC is fairly heavy, but arrived in great condition. No bent fins.

Easy install, no cutting, it fills the space very nicely, and the connections to the stock hoses are nice and snug. It definitely seems to flow better than stock. The car pulled better from mid-range to redline on initial pull, and it is MUCH more consistent than stock on back to back and multi-gear pulls. I'm happy. ESPECIALLY for the price. No complaints at all.

Tips

Removal-Watch the HPF vid.

Install-Install the hoses before bolting in the IC. It will take some force, but you must make sure the small tabs that the spring clips catch on must be fully below the slots for the clip. When installing the spring clips, force them over​ the connection on the intercooler below the slots, slide the hoses fully into the intercooler, (it will require force and proper angling) and watch where the location of the locking tabs. Position the spring clip so that the piece pressed against the IC will slide into the slot exactly where you saw the locking tab slide in. If you don't click the spring clip properly, it will not properly hold the tab and keep the pipe in the intercooler. I was paying attention, and it took one install, a failed test, and a second attempt to get it right. The tab is not very wide, and the Pheonix IC does not have positions to locate the clip like the stock one does. No big deal as I imagine it's for better compatibility, but it does require extra attention to detail and some trial and error. Don't get discouraged, as it will work, you just might have to play with it a couple times. Reinstall the front belly pan for your test, or remove them all. The wind will rip the back ones loose. Ask me how I know...

Order new o-rings. I acquired them from my dealer with no trouble, and they were about the same price as ECS after shipping. Install in the rings on the factory pipes in the slot right at the edge of the pipe. The old ones will probably remain in place after removal of the stock IC. Mine looked ok, and the only oil I found was just a tiny bit on the turbo outlet around the o-ring, but you could tell the heat cycling had slightly shrunk them. Order new ones. No point in doing this twice. The green o-ring goes on the turbo outlet pipe, and the black one on the intercooler outlet to charge pipe hose. They are identical in size, but made of different material because the one on the turbo outlet experiences much higher temperatures.

Vid of Pheonix IC and CP pre-install

The Pheonix parts are great bang for your dollar. I feel like the stock coolant hoses from the reservoir should be re-routed for the charge pipe install, but I have no reservations at all about the IC. Happy modding guys!
Appreciate 0