BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #1
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Let's talk options!

Hey guys,

I think some of us are about to order their X3's soon. Just wanted to get some opinions on certain option packages.

1) Harmon Kardon Package

Do you guys think it's worth the extra $1k CAD? The standard setup is 12 speaker hi-fi system, and I'm just wondering if the extra money is really worth it, especially if I'm not that much of an audiophile.

2) Exec Interior Package

What are your guys' thoughts on the Leather Seats? I had Leatherette on my old car and I was fine with it. I just hope we still get the same design with the leatherette, perhaps without any contrast stitching.

The package also includes ventilated seats. I'm going to be driving in Calgary so it's definitely something useful in summer but not something that I've had so far.

Last would be the Leatherette Dashboard. I heard it looks like normal dashboards texture wise, just with some stitching effects to make it look classier.

This package is about $2.2K. I'm personally struggling with the value of it, I feel like I can put the money towards other things like a new winter tire set.

3) 19 vs 20 inch rims.
View post on imgur.com
(19s on the left)

In Canada they are giving you the option of 19s vs 20s. Normally I would go 20s in a heartbeat. The thing is that the 19s come with All seasons and 20s come with summer performance tires.

The big problem I'm facing is that again, where I live, the weather would only see me use the summers only for 4-5 months of the year, whereas the all seasons would see a more balanced use of 6 months. Due to the unpredictable weather here, I'm also afraid of being caught off guard and being left stranded, or unable to drive for the day.

I'm leaning towards the 19s for more practicality sake, but I still really like the look of the 20s.

What are your guys' thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:17 AM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

1) I would get it but I really care about audio quality. If you're not too worried about great sound, the standard system will probably be pretty good.

2) Leather for me, mostly because I want the cognac interior. The faux leather is a worthy option though.

3) I choose 21" I don't really understand why they even offer 19s as it's awkward with any less than 20" IMO. But I guess if you're gonna offroad regularly or hit non-stop potholes then 19s would make sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranimo View Post
Hey guys,

I think some of us are about to order their X3's soon. Just wanted to get some opinions on certain option packages.

1) Harmon Kardon Package

Do you guys think it's worth the extra $1k CAD? The standard setup is 12 speaker hi-fi system, and I'm just wondering if the extra money is really worth it, especially if I'm not that much of an audiophile.

2) Exec Interior Package

What are your guys' thoughts on the Leather Seats? I had Leatherette on my old car and I was fine with it. I just hope we still get the same design with the leatherette, perhaps without any contrast stitching.

The package also includes ventilated seats. I'm going to be driving in Calgary so it's definitely something useful in summer but not something that I've had so far.

Last would be the Leatherette Dashboard. I heard it looks like normal dashboards texture wise, just with some stitching effects to make it look classier.

This package is about $2.2K. I'm personally struggling with the value of it, I feel like I can put the money towards other things like a new winter tire set.

3) 19 vs 20 inch rims.
View post on imgur.com
(19s on the left)

In Canada they are giving you the option of 19s vs 20s. Normally I would go 20s in a heartbeat. The thing is that the 19s come with All seasons and 20s come with summer performance tires.

The big problem I'm facing is that again, where I live, the weather would only see me use the summers only for 4-5 months of the year, whereas the all seasons would see a more balanced use of 6 months. Due to the unpredictable weather here, I'm also afraid of being caught off guard and being left stranded, or unable to drive for the day.

I'm leaning towards the 19s for more practicality sake, but I still really like the look of the 20s.

What are your guys' thoughts?
Options are fun to chat about here my thoughts:

1) Harmon Kardon - I've had a couple BMWs with it and a couple without it. My last X3 did not it have it. I feel like if you listen to music at higher volume levels it would be preferred. It replaced the HIFI level sound system with a 600 watt amplifier and a total of 16 speakers. I assume this new generation will have similar features. I did spec my New X3 with H/K, CarPlay and I had to add the WiFi hotspot as as a required option due to ordering in the BMW system.

2) Exec Interior Package - It appears each country has different package content. @KAP8 found out that by ordering Ventilated Seats you may give up Sports Seats which have more adjustments. I would not give these up. And the Sports Seats also appear to be the basis for the Individual Leather options as well so they mush be better right? I've only driven a Yukon with cooled seats and I can't say the feature was that important to me. Could have been the vehicle or just not needing cooled seats in my city. The AC is good enough for me. I've noticed that the Sensatec dash does look better in pictures and likely in person with the stitching you mention but defiantly a personal preference. I did not spec my new X3 with that feature. I've had a couple of BMWs with Sensatec interiors and I generally like them. Some people don't like to sit on animal skins. I ordered Exec Pack in the US because I wanted the Icon headlights and the Digital dash. Leather came along with it.

3) Wheels. I prefer my cars to ride on the plus one option with all seasons. Yes of course the X3 looks best on the 20s or 21s but they are not practical for me. I've ordered xLine with Prem Pack in the US and get nice looking 19s. I also like the mobility of run flats so okay with them but it's nice BMW now let's you change that back to non run flats.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

HK vs HIFI in X4 was negligible in the quality of sound department for both system are made by HK, if you like lounger, boomy music then take the HK.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
kube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d xDrive MSport

HK

Always a matter of preference. My 535dx has the HK and my wife's current X3 does not have them. I can tell the difference in sound -- it's not as rich/deep, even at lower volumes. My view was that for $20/month or so more on a lease (if that much), it's a no-brainer. I spend more on coffee every month at work. So her new X3 was ordered with the HK speakers. I do drive it now and then
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

HK in x5/x6 sounds good.
HK x3 sounds not as good.
X3 with HIFI, worse than X3 with HK
Simply my subjective thoughts.
Perhaps difference from x3 to x5 is interior spaciousness and positioning of speakers. i.e. front quarter panel speakers are positioned higher than x3
Appreciate 0