M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

RPiM5's Stage VII F10 M5 - Dinan Forged Motor Build Project (Long and Picture Heavy)

Greetings all,

At last I am creating my official thread for what I have been up to for the longest time. This has been a long time coming, but I didn't want to start an official thread earlier because I simply did not have all of the answers along the way for what I have been doing to my F10 M5.

I'd like to preface this by first saying that this will be an extremely long story and will be quite picture heavy so, I recommend you view this on an actual laptop or desktop computer vice a smartphone.

The next thing I'd like to say right up front, is that I hope that you can bear with my humor in reading this story, I wanted to keep things light and not too serious, as I know that a lot of people out there may take such an expansive and expensive project very seriously as they want to be the best. I don't care about being the best, I only care about keeping the enthusiasm and fun going. So I will say right from the beginning that I did not do any of this to create the fastest or quickest F10 M5, I simply did it because its uncharted territory and for me the exploration of what can be done to the F10 M5 still excites me even after 5.5 years of ownership.

So where to begin... Well it was the spring of 2016 and I had just moved back to San Diego, CA after being away for years. After my epic road trip in the middle of winter, with lots of road salt damage to my M5, I decided that she needed some serious maintenance and some upgrades. Many of you may remember my old "Stage III" or "v3.0" upgrade story, but many of you probably never saw it even though I've been on this forum for a long time now. So with that, here's a recap and a rough timeline of my F10 M5 for most upgrades not counting cosmetic stuff:

September 1st 2012:
Picked up my Mika for European Delivery

Many of you may not actually know the story of why I named my F10 M5 Mike, I mean Mika, but if you've ever seen the movie Eurotrip, then you understand.

Stage 1 Upgrades:
- RPi GT Exhaust
- RPi GTM Exhaust (Muffler Delete)
- Catless Downpipes

Stage 2 Upgrades:
May 2014:
- BMS Stage 1 Piggyback Tune
- BMS CAN CEL Delete Tool
- RPi Air Scoops
- Eibach Lowering Springs
- Competition Pack Sway Bars

Stage 3 Upgrades:
May 2016:
- BPM Motorsports Flash Tune
- SSP Clutch Kit
- SSP Transmission Cooling Kit
- Dinan 20" Lightweight Forged Wheels
- Titanium Lugbolts
- Stainless Steel Brake Lines
- Dinan Monoball front control arm bushings
- Cool Carbon Front Brake Pads
- EBC Rear Brake Pads
- BMS Water/Methanol Injection with custom small (1gal) tank
- BMS JB4 system
- Pure Stage 1 Turbos

Mika Stage VII or v7.0

So why did I take my F10 M5 further than Stage III? Afterall, what I had was pretty great right? Well as it happened, it was a little too great. The truth is that I ended up bombing my motor in the summer of 2016, it failed, kaput, bit the dust, kicked the bucket, bought the farm, went to Davey Jones locker, and so on. So what happened you might be asking?? Well I'll tell you, and it's a little easier to explain things now that I've spoken with many tuners, technicians, experts, and engineers about what could have cause my motor to fail in my exact case.

The truth is, in that wondering, researching, and finding out why exactly my motor failed I found that a lot of people out there don't know what the heck they are talking about, there are very few true experts out there that can really diagnose what happens when your particular motor fails. The conclusion that I have reached was that I was pushing the car too hard in very short period of time, without giving the engine enough time to cool down and it probably didn't help that I had added a bunch of power. In my situation, I learned that my motor still would have failed even it had been bone stock. So what was I doing exactly? Well I was doing some testing and data logging at the time. I was working with Terry at BMS trying to fine tune my JB4 settings and while I had done a many 3rd gear pulls for data logging, Terry requested that I try to do some full 4th gear pulls for more data. So I found a nice long stretch of road with no traffic (in Mexico of course) and began doing 4th gear data logging pulls and data collection. Well, it was pretty much all my fault, I kept doing these types of pulls back to back to back, not letting the engine get a rest, not aware of any potential consequences. Well the engine got hot, very hot, and the engine oil started to separate and became thin, which then escaped from between my rod bearings and my crankshaft, resulting in metal on metal friction combined with lots of heat. So much heat in fact, that I actually welded one of my rod bearings to my crankshaft, permanently.

You see this is really a lesson about causality. Cause and effect.

I could have just as easily bent a rod or something else could have gone wrong in driving the car like that. I normally never drive the car in that exact way, pushing the car all the way from the bottom of 4th gear to the top of 4th gear like that. Other people have had failures driving the car much less intensely.

So at that point, I had a lot of questions to answer, some of which included:

- What do I do now?
- Who do I talk to?
- What are my options?
- Could I prevent this happening again?
- How long would it be until I drive my car again?
- What about my warranty?

Luckily, I had the best team of experts on the planet helping me right from the beginning. The same place where I had consulted and built my Mika Stage III (v3.0), was the place that began to help me figure things out. It was Erik and Rich at Autohaus Frankfurt in Murrieta, California that became my go to guys once again.

It initially took about a month to figure out the motor was completely busted, because we just wanted to make 100% sure. But once we knew the true situation, we then began exploring options.

You see the thing with me is that, when I took delivery on September 1st 2012 at the BMW Welt of my F10 M5, I knew from that day forward, I will never be selling my M5. Call it too much sentimental value, but I still love this car. So now faced with this new dire situation in 2016, I knew that the only option for me was to fix my M5. Plus at that time, there were strong rumors that the F90 M5 was to come with the same exact V8 Twin Turbo Hot V setup as the F10 M5, and well you all probably know how I feel about that. So getting rid of my F10 M5 and going for the F90 M5 was never in my plans. This is still not to say that I won't ever get an F90 M5, I'm just saying that I still intend on never moving on from my F10 M5. No, I'll be keeping her, until I leave this earth.

So what were our options?

What about warranty?

Well I still had(have) a BMW Extended Warranty that I bought in 2014 on my M5 and technically yes I could have tried to use it to get a whole new motor for my M5, but it wasn't really an option because my car was just too modified. Even though I had the distinct advantage of being great friends with the Foreman of Service at my go to dealership, he told me that at a certain point, its out of his hands and that it was inevitable that BMW would deny my claim, once they took a closer look as to trying to understand why exactly I needed a new motor. So this route was never really an option.

What about simply getting another used S63tu engine from a junkyard or a salvaged M5?

This we heavily considered, and it would have been the cheapest option, but not the most reliable option. The truth is that you never really truly know what your going to get when you buy a used motor. The only reason this option was appealing to me was that it was the cheapest option.

What about getting a brand new stock motor?

Too expensive basically. Over $40,000 with labor for another motor that wouldn't be able to handle what I wanted to do with it. Well then, you might be asking, why do you have to do mods or have more power then? Why can't you just enjoy a stock motor with stock power? Well, my answer to that is, why do anything with cars then? I'm simply not the kind of person that can own a stock car, even an ///M car which is already built for more performance than most other cars out there. It's just not who I am and if this were my only option, I'd sell the car, no matter if it was an M5, a Lamborghini, a McLaren, or a Porsche. I like changing things, modifying, exploring the untapped performance. There are many people out there like me, but 99% of the population would think we're crazy. And I guess we are. But I fully admit that life would be a easier, if I and people like me, didn't do these kinds of things, but life would be a lot less fun too. It's really just about passion when it comes down to it.

So what options were left?

At that time (2016), no M5 owner that I knew or didn't know had done any kind of motor project with an S63tu engine before, except one person, and that was Steve Dinan himself. So my guy Erik at Autohaus Frankfurt began to do some research for me. Back then I wasn't aware of what was going on with Steve Dinan, but all I remembered hearing was that he had sold his company and left to go do some real racing stuff with a pro race team. But I did remember that Steve Dinan did build a prototype S63tu engine build for his personal F10 M5 with forged internals and other modifications.

As it happened back then, Erik found out what was going on with Steve Dinan. We found out that Steve was no longer racing and came back to California and was in the process of buying all of the engine building division of Dinan Engineering and moving all of the facilities over to his new business location, which at the time was established as SDAutoTech. Erik then told Steve what had happened with me, and that I was interested in building another S63tu motor just like Steve had built for his F10 M5.

Steven Dinan said he could do it. So we decided to give the project a green light and do what at that time (not knowing about anybody else's attempts) to do one of the first forged S63tu motors in the world. And that the price of doing such a build would be about half that of buying a brand new stock S63tu motor. So we opted for what Steve offered as a Stage 2 build with the Ported Head option. It's not about what you can buy, but it's about what you can build.

So what is a Stage 2 Dinan Motor build anyway?

Well the Stage 1 build includes:

- Forged Rods
- Camshaft Modification
- Various other motor modifications

Stage 2 build includes:

- Low Compression Forged Pistons

Along with Stage 2 components, for my motor I received almost every thing brand new as well to include:

- New Oil Pump
- New Water Pump
- New Belts
- New Crankshaft
- Every screw, nut and bolt brand new

So pretty much I got a completely brand new motor from Steve Dinan. The only thing not new, was my long block.

We sent my motor up to Steven in October of 2016, however we did not get it back until August of 2017. Since mine was the first Steve was building, there were a lot of things to figure out, especially because he was in the middle of a business reorganization (moving facilities), supply chain difficulties, new research and development involved with building my motor that he did not originally do the first time he built an S63tu, and a few more things. Because of these many factors, it took just such a long time for us to see any results. Even then when we did get the new forged motor, there were even more unforeseen complications which delayed the project even more.

PHASE 1 - THE BEGINNING

So here we go, into the real meat and potatoes of the entire project. I will present things in a linear order, to which you will see the final results at the end. Remember, it's not about the destination, its about the journey.
So enjoy this adventure with me.

Here we are initially pulling the broken motor out of the M5. Twas an ominous sight seeing the heart of my Mika out like that.

If you've never seen all of the parts of an M5 engine, it's crazy. I don't even know how those German engineers even do it.

Here you can see my catless downpipes out of the car. I orginally had them ceramic coated and pulled them out with about 40,000 miles on them. You can see how the heat takes it's toll on the downpipes. This is why it is so important to have them coated and wrapped with heat shield if you are running catless.

Another shot of the engine and transmission out of the car. Getting it ready to ship to Steve Dinan.

Finally getting the motor ready to ship.

And here she is all wrapped up. Bye bye broken motor.

PHASE 2 - VISITING DINAN AND SDAUTOTECH

In November of 2016, I had the opportunity to visit Dinan Engineering and SDAutoTech. At that time, SDAutoTech had not finished moving the engine building division over to the new facilities, so my motor was actually disassembled at Dinan Engineering Facilities. I was able to get a personal tour of both facilities and businesses though and it was pretty great. Unfortunately did not get to meet Steve Dinan in person though at that time. I got to see pretty much everything and was very impressed. I did get to see my motor all disassembled in person though, which was pretty cool.

Here's an S55 motor that they were building at the time too.

And here's the pics of my motor all taken apart. So many pieces!

PHASE 3 - THE WAITING GAME

Like I said, it took a very long time to build my motor. So long in fact, it felt like I didn't even have an M5 any more.

It didn't help that there were a lot of setbacks and delays during development, but I guess this is what's expected when doing a racecar project.

Eventually, progress was being made and I was getting updates, albeit very slowly. But they were able to produce some new pictures which kept me going. I still needed more beer to hold me over though.

Here's a picture of the new forged rods and pistons.

Picture showing some detail on the valve ports.

More close ups of the block, but now with the pistons installed.

While we were waiting for the motor to finish I was also doing some other research and drawing some inspiration from real race cars for some cool stuff that I could also implement on my motor.

One of them was the Gold Heat Wrap Tape used in actual race cars. I wondered if that stuff really worked. So I did a bunch of research and discovered that there is legitimate usage of Gold Heat Wrap Tape but you have to be very careful in selecting where you source your material from. Basically, buying the stuff on eBay is a waste of money. The real stuff can be tough to find, but luckily I found a good source that sold the real deal. A company called PTP sold the material and was legit. I even applied an actual flame to it to see if it would really work and it did resist the heat very well. On their website they explain that the product is made with fiberglass and can withstand up to around 700 degrees F, of heat. So I bought a couple of rolls and went to town.

I decided that wrapping the Intercoolers would be a good idea, since their job is to cool stuff. Lol!

I love GOOOOOLD! Lol!

Next, while we were still waiting for the new motor to arrive, we did a few other things, like re-ceramic coated my downpipes. Looks so good!

Finally, the day came and the new forged built motor from Steve Dinan arrived! Like I said, by this time it was August of 2017, almost a full year from start to finish. It nearly killed me too.

But it was real, and I was so excited. Trying to keep this news on the down low was difficult too, but I didn't want to start spreading the word that my project was coming along until it was really coming along.

Here's the new motor the day that we got it in. Steve also painted the valve covers for me in Blue to match the color of my M5. Nice touch!

PHASE 4 - STARTING CONSTRUCTION

Now that we had the newly built motor back, we could start to get the ball rolling. To say that I was a little impatient at this point, would have been a complete and total understatement. Poor Erik at Autohaus had to deal with me demanding constant updates almost on a daily basis while we prepared the car to get my new motor in, but in reality there was still a lot to be done, a lot. Tons of new parts had to be ordered. The thing that makes my project different is that we were literally building a brand new car. Nearly every component to my engine is brand new, from the alternator, water pump, belts, hoses, nuts, bolts, bushings, everything. Not only that but Rich at Autohaus, who was responsible for installing my new motor did things in an extremely methodical, careful way and attention detail was simply on a whole other level. I got to watch him watch him a couple of times, and the level of excellent in quality of craftsmanship of work is unparalleled. Basically what I am saying is that Rich took his time and made sure things were done right and in the best way possible. Erik and Rich wanted to assure me that when the new motor was back in, it was never coming back out again. You just can't find this kind of talent.

So while Rich and Erik were preparing everything and beginning to construct things, I sat back and watched them build something epic. I could hear the Imperial March theme music playing in the background.

While all of this was going on, they made sure all of the new parts were arriving, and I kept on ordering new stuff for the car that would be beneficial to the project, and Erik and Rich loved it.

Here's a close up of the brand new fuel injectors for the motor. We decided that the stock injectors would work fine for the build. The modifications to the camshafts were more than enough to produce the new fueling capabilities that we wanted.

New intakes arrived to the shop in only a matter of days.

One of the new things that I ordered was another product from PTP. Their new Turboblanket for the stock turbo setup on the S63tu Engine. Turns out their blankets are made from real volcanic ash and can withstand temps up to around 2,700 degrees I think. The best part is that the blanket fits over the stock heat shield, so yeah double protection.

Such a weird sight seeing your car with no engine in it.

I think there's something wrong with my car.

Now for one of the big parts of this build project. Erik recommended that we do something about the turbos. He said that the Pure Stage 1's just weren't going to cut it if I wanted to make some power and I agreed. The problem for me personally was that I just couldn't see paying the kind of prices that Pure Turbo demands for a stock turbo housing setup. In the end, we were able to do a completely custom turbo setup for my project for not much in terms of pricing.

Custom Stage 3 Turbos:

- Upgraded custom Billet Compressor Wheel to 54mm, machined from a solid block of aluminum which spools faster and they are able to squeeze 15% more air flow vs the cast wheel. Stock compressor wheel is 46mm. Stock M5 turbo produces about 46lbs/min, while this upgrade flows 58lbs/min. We will still be working on maximizing these turbos as time goes on as they are untested at the time of this build. Future updates will be made.

- Fully Ported, Polished, and Coated both Turbos. Porting work was extensive and smooth-ens out the air flow and makes it flow better. Hot side ceramic coated.

- Fully Ported, Polished, and Ceramic Coated the turbo manifolds. Included in price of turbos as well.

Here's the first picture of our custom Turbos. You can see the size of the compressor wheel.

Here you can see some of the porting and polishing work to the turbo on the hot side. The hot side impeller was also upgraded. It's difficult to see in this picture, due to the lighting but the hot side is also ceramic coated here.

Here's a better look at the cold side of the turbo. Here you can really see the porting and polishing work done on this side of the turbocharger.

Here you can really begin to see some of the excellent porting work they did on the turbos, and you can kind of tell that the hot side is ceramic coated as well. The turbos were port matched to the manifolds as well for maximum smoothness. Airflow is smoother than baby's butt! Haha!

Another shot of both turbos, both hot side and cold side.

And now for the manifolds. Excellent work done here too.

Last for the manifolds you can seriously see the difference here between stock manifolds and the ported manifolds.

Last picture of the turbos. Here you can finally see the contrast between the ceramic coated hot side and the cold side.

The last thing I'd like to mention about our custom turbo build was turn around time. From the day we sent the turbos to the day we got them back literally took less than a week. I am not joking. How long do other companies take to work on your turbos? Just wanted to point this out, as we actually sent these turbos out after we got the new motor back and turn around time was important.

The last thing I will mention about our custom turbo build is that we are keeping our source for who did our turbos confidential, on the forum anyway. But if you are interested in obtaining a set like these for your M5/M6 then I highly recommend you give Erik at Autohaus Frankfurt a call and he will hook you up. Thanks!

Next, I'd like to show you some of the organization that was used in re-constructing the car.

Every area was organized when re-constructing the car. Organization is the key to success.

Here's a shot of the new RPi Section Exhaust Tips that I had work done on too, while the car was down for so long.

More parts.

Actually a picture of the old oil cooler for the engine. Had to order a new one of these too.

And lastly, shot of the DCT transmission with upgraded SSP clutch kit installed from Stage III build previously.

And now for the big tamale. New motor coming together.

Now with turbos mounted!

PHASE 5 - CREATING A MONSTER

In order to fight monsters, we created monsters. Great movie! If you've never seen Pacific Rim, you need to!

So now around about the October 2017 time-frame we were really cooking with oil. Things were finally coming along and I was getting excited.

And everything was proceeding as I had foreseen! Muahahaha!

First, here is the motor almost all put together with the downpipes exposed.

Next, same picture, but now downpipes are heat wrapped. And also a note about the heat wrapping that we used. You seriously can't just use any heat wrap, especially the eBay special stuff. Again, we utilized PTP and ordered their heat wrapping material and Erik and Rich will agree that the PTP material is an absolute night and day difference compared to other stuff out there. You can just tell by holding it, it feels legit. Also we have already seen the difference when it comes to actual temperatures in the engine bay.

Next, we installed the stock heat shield on top of the turbos and downpipes. It still can trap heat.

Last, we put the PTP turbo blanket on. So now you can see just how well protected and insulated my turbos and downpipes are. It makes a serious difference too. These turbos get extremely hot and and we've even consulted with PTP as well as our turbo designer as to the effects of so much heat protection. There is a serious advantage to having so much protection.

Now we're getting somewhere. Motor is now IN!!

Side shot close up.

Side shot expanded view.

Close up of turbo cooling lines covered in the PTP Gold Heat Wrap.

And now for the wide shot!

Another wide shot of the new motor. No wait...

Pretty much my reaction when I saw what's next.

Now Intake and Meth Lines finished.

Close up of Meth Lines. We covered the Meth Injection Lines in specialty Blue Heat Shielding. People don't realize just how hot it gets in the engine bay and exposed plastic Meth lines will indeed melt. Not only that but we utilized the best high pressure Meth Lines from Snow Performance for maximum benefit.

PHASE 6 - LET'S PUNCH IT

So, I finally took delivery of the car on November 10th, 2017. We reloaded a stock M5 tune file set for stock horsepower for the engine break-in period. I ended up breaking in the engine for about 2,500 miles in total, which took about 2 months. I wanted to be 1,000% certain that EVERYTHING was working as it should. We were taking every precaution. We used special engine break-in oil for the new motor break-in.

During the break-in period, the meth injection was not operational either. In fact, I also ordered the new Stealth Meth Tank from Burger Motorsports and what we ended up doing was creating a dual tank system in the trunk. We still had the original small tank in the trunk that holds 1 gal and Rich created a serial feed system so that the small tank simply feeds directly into the big BMS stealth tank. This way the pump isn't creating a suction effect if we were to use a T-line setup where the pump is drawing liquid from both tanks at the same time, for the situation where one of the tanks was empty and full of air only.

Here's a picture of the BMS Stealth Tank installed in the trunk. I also cut the trunk lining so that it wouldn't look so ugly back there.

So here she is all done and looking pretty. The new Dinan Forged Motor with all of the fixings. We are quite proud of all of our hard work, ideas, patience, failures, and successes in trying to get this thing done. New Carbon Fiber Engine Plenum cover shown here too.

A note about Engine Oil. So with this type of build, we couldn't just use any old engine oil. I mean, we now had a race motor built by a company who builds race motors for Daytona and Le Mans. Timing played a key role in selecting our engine oil for this motor too. In November, SEMA happened in Las Vegas as it does every year and Rich and Erik go every year. This year, they got to talk to a lot of oil vendors and did a lot of research as who is best to use for this type of motor.

In the end we selected Torco. Torco sent some reps out to Autohaus Frankfurt and they spent the entire day there explaining their oil. Basically Torco makes oil for very specific applications. The guys at Autohaus can explain it better than I can, but I will just say that what Erik and Rich selected for me is specifically designed for high output motors that use water/meth injection. We also went with a 5W-40 for our secret sauce because that's what the guys at Torco specifically recommended for my motor.

So I know for a lot of people reading this, this kind of project can not be cheap, and believe me it wasn't. But I will say this, what I spent was right around what the dealership would charge a customer for a new stock motor install including labor. So as Bob Barker used to say, the Price was Right!

And now time for a pop quiz, which motor did I install into my M5? Gallo 12 or Gallo 24??

I also showed my M5 to Indiana Jones, to see what we would say about it.

One of the things that I decided to do while I had the M5 during Break-In period was to try and eliminate some of the drone from the straightpiped exhaust system. I've been running straightpipes ever since 2013 when I installed the catless downpipes, and frankly I was tired of so much drone. The problem with trying to resolve drone with the RPi exhaust system is that if you didn't buy the GTS system originally, RPi stopped making the resonated section 2 for the GTS system years ago. They only sell the GTM system now. So I kind of had no way to reinstall some resonators to get rid of drone. But then I had an idea. My stock exhaust was just sitting in storage doing nothing, so I went to my local muffler shop and had them cut off my resonators from my stock exhaust system. Then I wanted to test fit if they would fit onto my RPi exhaust. Long story short, with some slight bending of the RPi pipes in the section 2 area we were able to make my stock resonators fit. Since they both the same diameter, it worked like a charm. Now all of the drone in the low 1,000-1,200 rpm range is gone and all drone above 2,200 rpm is gone too. However there is still drone in the 1,600-2,200rpm range and this is solely caused by the muffler delete. Overall drone has been decreased by 30-40% but also overall exhaust loudness has decreased by about 10%, but it's OK. Small price to pay for some civility in the cabin.

So now for the part you've been waiting for. Tuning this M5. Engine break-in was completed and had a fresh oil change and now we began the tuning process in early January. How much ZebraForce would we make??

Tuning.

I just picked up the car on Friday, January 26th from tuning and final assessment of everything. The M5 is now fully operational.

For our tuning, we decided to work with Alex at Mission Performance. Alex is one of the best in the business and when we told him about our project, he was enthusiastic to help us. Alex personally made his way over to Autohaus Frankfurt for the tuning phase of this project and worked closely with Erik. We were initially going to go with a high octane only tune, due to fear of potential knock in the engine. However, when Alex and Erik began the tuning and street logging/testing, what they discovered astounded them.

Again, I will let Erik and Alex speak their own words, so you may call them and ask them about what they thought of my car, but I will write here as much as I remember what they told me.

The biggest thing they noticed was the efficiency of the motor. The motor basically outperforms the turbochargers. The engine is so extremely efficient at making power that the turbos can't keep up. Testing was performed on high octane and low octane. We can only get 91 octane here in California, so they tested that too. No knock was present on only 91 octane, not even close. So the engine is set for 91, since I don't want to be paying $150 every time I fill up the car with gas. Even on 91 the car is stupendous. On high octane, forget about it, launches into the stratosphere. Fuel trims are perfect, power is the most linear both Alex and Erik have ever seen on an M5. Alex told me, that he's tuned a lot of M5's and rode in a lot tuned M5's before and that mine is the smoothest he's ever ridden, felt even better than a bone stock factory brand new M5 he said.

What about the turbos? How do they perform? Well we can push about 26lbs of boost. Like I said the engine is damn efficient now. What we did find is that there is definitely a limitation of the stock turbo housing. Alex believes that the turbos as built can definitely make 1,000hp or 1,323 ZebraForce, but the limitation is coming from the hot side of the turbo housing and the way its designed. The turbos just can't make any more power due to this limitation. We may find a solution one day, but my goal is to keep the same turbo size if I do anything further. The heat generated by larger turbos is something I don't want to deal with.

So what about dyno numbers or vBox you ask? Well I'm not putting out any dyno numbers at this time. As you know all dyno's are not the same. I may read 1,500whp on one dyno and 500whp on another. I will be doing some dyno sessions in the future to get a better idea of what Mika's putting down, but for now I will say that its damn fast and it's more than 600whp. Also, I don't own a vBox, but I may get one, one day, but it's not a priority right now. The goal of this entire project was to have fun and create a reliable setup. Reliability was our number one goal and I think we've achieved that.

So here she is, all done and ready for fun!

I decided to do more cosmetics on her, again for fun. I added accents here and there and a double racing stripe down the length of the car longitudinally.

You didn't think I forgot about the interior did you??! Custom mats from IND, matching blue trim on the interior that matches the exterior color exactly, upgraded to LCI wheel with custom blue trim and blue paddleshifters, and shiny silver foot pedals.

Here are some pics from when I went to go pick her up last Friday at the Autohaus. M6 Gran Coupe is another project car they are building, almost everything the same as me minus a Dinan Forged Motor.

So how does she feel now that I have her back and now that she's out of break-in and fully tuned, and fully operational?! I'm not even sure that I have the words. Erik and Alex were right, the car is absolutely linear in power delivery, the power feels so clean I could eat off of it. Yes the tires spin in 3rd now too, but it's manageable. I did a pull yesterday morning up to about 140mph in 4th gear and it literally feels like I'm accelerating in 2nd gear. It just pulls so unbelievably hard.

I'm pretty sure I've got the Space Shuttle beat in terms of acceleration.

There is still more to do in the future. New headlights are in the works as well as new tires and a brand new windshield. Mika has almost 80,000 miles on her now, yet she feels like she only has 2,500 miles which is how many the new motor has on it. The whole car feels better than the day that I took delivery of it at the Welt. It's an incredible feeling. It feels like not only a whole new car, but a whole new type of car.

Well, this is just about the end of this journey here. It's been nearly 18 months from start to finish and it's been hell, but now I'm happy to have my car back and my life back essentially. I know I've been hard on the F90 M5, but I am truly excited for those of you who have one on order or are planning to get one. I am simply an M5 enthusiast no matter what generation. There are certain things I do love about the F90 M5, but I don't see myself getting one within the next 6 years.

My plans are actually to do a few more things to my F10 M5 this year and then make preparations for getting another E60 M5. I miss that V10 so much, I must have one again. I won't go all crazy with it though, just a few things to make it sound awesome.

You'll be seeing a lot more media from me in the future, especially living here in San Diego where we have year round good weather.

So all I have left to say is:

Mr Sulu, let's punch it.

Oh yeah, and it's Stage VII because what we have done is so crazy, that it warrants skipping Stages 4,5, and 6 all together. Lol!

Last edited by RPiM5; 03-09-2018 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 21
MinionM3235.00
m5 guy971.50
Mcc420108.00
Mkai029.00
Zermatt83.00
elim11383.50
sqeezed85.00
xander_g769.00
swagon7761.50
M5Dan153.00
pcohen15371.50
M5Rick12294.50
jsnm70.00
His431.50
      01-29-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Holy mother of god, that was a great post, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
Greer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

WOW, what a great write up!
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 01:27 AM   #4
Mr. M6
FEEL THE POWER
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [4.50]
great project and car!!
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 02:52 AM   #5
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Great read and project

Alex told me about a special car he was working on at autohaus Frankfurt...didnt know it was your car. He pretty much echoed your statements on how awesome the car is.

I am extremely intrigued about the custom turbo work, and for the price of pure stage 1?? Will have to give Erik a call. I have communicated with him via email and phone before; very knowledgeable, class act and no pressure kind of guy.
Appreciate 2
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 04:06 AM   #6
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Great story thanks for sharing

I still have my m5 e60 as when i really want to drive its the car i take
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 05:17 AM   #7
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Awesome. Love the wee funny inserts
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
josec70
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 19' SG M5 Competition

Insane .... amazing write-up. Enjoy!
      01-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Great write up! Awesome story! Enjoy the Rocketship!

I NEED to get back into an F10 after reading this
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Greetings all,
I haven't even read this post yet, but seeing the length of it I'll brew some more coffee and sit down to an enjoyable read. I remember Dave's lengthy discourse for his european delivery those many years ago and maybe he can tell us if this surpasses it in length? That was fun and I hope this will be as entertaining.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

LOVE IT!!! Had so much fun going for a ride this weekend / the car is unbelievably fast

Current Garage:
2012 M3 ZCP, Mineral White, DCT: Track Build
2020 M2CS, Misano Blue, 6MT
Appreciate 2
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
steeve13m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Nice work! When you putting the car on the dyno to see if the car is performing as expected and also 1/4 mile times?
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Nice write-up and great seeing you and the car in person this weekend.

These builds are a long process and I can relate to the joy once you have the car back in your hands.

Your build is very clean and maximizes what BMW did from the factory at a very different level.

Being a performance nut would be good at some point to see how it does at the track. I will be at the Apr Shift-Sector if you plan on coming. Folks would love a video of that!

Wish I had your creativity and penmanship!! Keep up the good work and contribution to the community.
Appreciate 2
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #14
KMORGSM5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 CP M5

Congratulations! She's a beauty.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #15
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Holy mother of god, that was a great post, thanks for sharing.
Haha! Thanks man, I try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
WOW, what a great write up!
Thanks bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M6 View Post
great project and car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Great read and project

Alex told me about a special car he was working on at autohaus Frankfurt...didnt know it was your car. He pretty much echoed your statements on how awesome the car is.

I am extremely intrigued about the custom turbo work, and for the price of pure stage 1?? Will have to give Erik a call. I have communicated with him via email and phone before; very knowledgeable, class act and no pressure kind of guy.
Yes sir, give Erik a call. He's the man. He can answer all of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Great story thanks for sharing

I still have my m5 e60 as when i really want to drive its the car i take
Indeed, the E60 M5, in my opinion is one of the best cars ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 TT View Post
Awesome. Love the wee funny inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
Insane .... amazing write-up. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabs1815 View Post
Great write up! Awesome story! Enjoy the Rocketship!

I NEED to get back into an F10 after reading this
The F10 is where it's at. Lol! It's still my favorite looking M5 out of all generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I haven't even read this post yet, but seeing the length of it I'll brew some more coffee and sit down to an enjoyable read. I remember Dave's lengthy discourse for his european delivery those many years ago and maybe he can tell us if this surpasses it in length? That was fun and I hope this will be as entertaining.
So what did you think bro? I know you are a super long time enthusiast too. I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM135 View Post
LOVE IT!!! Had so much fun going for a ride this weekend / the car is unbelievably fast
Anytime man! Yeah it was super fun getting to open her up. You have an awesome car too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeve13m View Post
Nice work! When you putting the car on the dyno to see if the car is performing as expected and also 1/4 mile times?
Prolly within the next couple of weeks. I've gotta go out of town this week, so I don't have time right away, but I'll make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
Nice write-up and great seeing you and the car in person this weekend.

These builds are a long process and I can relate to the joy once you have the car back in your hands.

Your build is very clean and maximizes what BMW did from the factory at a very different level.

Being a performance nut would be good at some point to see how it does at the track. I will be at the Apr Shift-Sector if you plan on coming. Folks would love a video of that!

Wish I had your creativity and penmanship!! Keep up the good work and contribution to the community.
Ram, thanks brotha. Congrats on your build as well. I know I've been quiet on the forums about other projects, I just wanted to wait until the time was right. Great seeing you and your car this weekend too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
Congratulations! She's a beauty.
Thanks dude, hope your project is coming along well and not as many complications as I had.

Appreciate 2
      01-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #16
MpowerMike
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 IB BMW M5

Wow man what a journey and what a beast! Did your instapage change ? Use to be JetBlue or something like that .
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #17
finlandm5f10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10&Audi RS6 C7 2016

Ou shit👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻Very nice👌🏻
This post defenetly best for long time👍🏻
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #18
Bobby_Drake
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

WOW.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #19
Dumpspec
Major
Rep
Drives: @dumpspec

awesome write up! thank for sharing.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #20
F13stg2cp6mt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Stage 2 F13

It was great meeting you and seeing the car in person last Saturday. The car looks and sounds amazing! I just wish I could have gone for a ride!
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #21
m5 guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Simply awesome! congrats on everything. I really enjoy your threads and it's great to see the many stages your car has been through. Keep it up!
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 1
RPiM52673.00
      01-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #22
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

That was well worth the wait and very entertaining!

Glad to be part of it.