BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Gracenote Problem

03-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
PGN2383
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 530d MSport Touring

Gracenote Problem

My understanding of how the Gracenote system works is that whilst a CD is playing the Album Information is retrieved from the Gracenote database stored within the vehicle. If no information is available for the particular CD (or in fact even if it is) it is then possible to search for it from the on-line database. This is achieved by pressing the Option button near the controller and then selecting “Album Information”, then “Search for album information online”. You then see “Album information from Gracenote” and “Updating album information…” After a few seconds one or more options for the information are listed (I guess this is for different versions of the album) and you select the one you want to apply.

Until a couple of weeks ago this worked perfectly for me but now after about 30 seconds of searching the message “Data transfer failed” appears and no album information is listed. I had the car booked in earlier this week for this but the dealer couldn’t find a solution or any technical info from BMW so they have contacted BMW Technical direct and are waiting for a response.

I would be grateful if someone else could test this and confirm that it works for them as I don’t know the problem lies with my car or is a more general problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Gooders
Rep
Drives: G30 540i M Sport X-Drive

Same problem

I have exactly the same issue. Newly-released UB40 album will not show album or track names or display cover art. I receive the same message "data transfer failed". Just imported 2 older UB40 albums as a yes, both worked fine. Have you got any further with your dealer or BMW technical?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
PGN2383
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Gooders

Car is booked in this Thursday. Dealer has had something back from BMW Technical. Fingers crossed it works!

Do you know if yours was working correctly up to 2-3 weeks ago?

I'll update later.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
Gooders
Rep

Yes mine was working completely normally about 2-3 weeks ago. Good luck with yours, I look forward to hearing how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
PGN2383
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

OK, car at dealer today.

They did what BMW technical suggested, which was some kind of software update (I don't have any details), but it had no effect. They are now going back to BMW Technical.

I await the next attempt.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Gooders
Rep

I called the Connected Drive people who suggested I should "Update BMW Services" within the Connected Drive menu. I have done this and it has made no difference. If I click on any folder within the music collection and ask it to "update album information online" it ALWAYS FAILS. Going to call them again.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
PGN2383
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
I called the Connected Drive people who suggested I should "Update BMW Services" within the Connected Drive menu. I have done this and it has made no difference. If I click on any folder within the music collection and ask it to "update album information online" it ALWAYS FAILS. Going to call them again.
Worth telling them it's not just you as my problem is identical to yours! I made the same call as you and they made the same suggestion; I'd already tried that. I think it may only have worked for me when playing a physical CD, so you had to get the information before loading it into the music collection.

Let's keep each other updated with progress.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
metcy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Did either of you get a resolution to this? I've got exactly the same problem in my F80 M3 which I spotted about the same time as you. Would think the software levels are likely to be completely different so suggests the problem might be related to something else.

About to book mine in but fully expect to get a lot of blank looks at the dealers so thought i'd check if you'd had any joy first!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
Gooders
Rep

No joy from BMW Connected Drive people

The "advisers" there keep giving me different information. One said "the CD you are importing must not have the data on the disc". What would be the point of Gracenote if that is really how it works? Sounds like he has read a history book on "CD Text" which was a thing in the late '90s! I have a new CD arriving tomorrow - released today (Kacey Musgraves, Golden Hour) - I will immediately insert Kacey when she arrives and post the result.Assuming another failure I will have to try them again or book it in.

****** UPDATE ****** Kacey Musgraves album (brand new release) displays all track info but no cover art

Last edited by Gooders; 04-10-2018 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
PGN2383
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm still waiting to hear something from the dealer. I'll chase them up during this week. I suspect the problem isn't actually in the car but at the server end. I'll update again if I get any info.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #11
Iamsmid
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 520d touring

I have also had exactly the same problem for about 3 weeks. So it’s not isolated incidents!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
Gooders
Rep

Not resolved

I chased the lack of response from BMW connected. They came back as they needed to clarify which of our 2 BMWs is affected. As my wife's M135i doesn't have the HDD entertainment system I confirmed that it is my 540i. Just called them again as it has been ANOTHER 5 days. They say I need to speak to a "Genius" at my dealer. Have just left a message for him to call me.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:53 AM   #13
PGN2383
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Arrow

Tiny update.
I chased up the dealer about this and go this:

We have had a reply from Puma case, which I have copied below:

"Has there been no improvement here, has the complaint been rechecked in the last week or so,
there was some fixes implemented with connected drive network. Can you reassess the issue after carry out an online services update.

Can you ask the customer to carry out update and see if it helps.

To do that;

Select Connected drive

Press options button on idrive controller

Select and carry out update.

Please feedback his findings"

So I did the above and it made no difference at all.

Although the update gave an "OK" message it only took 2 or 3 seconds so I wonder if it actually did anything. The guy in the dealer told me that there were lots of problems with i-drive at the moment and it's being worked on in Germany.

Will update again if any developments.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 03:32 AM   #14
PGN2383
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

The problem is fixed!

I had another e-mail from the dealer on 27th April quoting some investigation that BMW technical had done. They were saying that sometimes although the "Data Transfer Failed" message appears it is in fact updating (that was definitely not my situation). Also that sometimes there will be no artwork displayed for the CD (I understand this and it has happened for a couple of my CDs).

Anyway, without much hope, I thought I'd try it again - and it now works!

So, my thinking is that there was no problem with the car (although I did update connected drive (Select Connected drive, Press options button on idrive controller, Select and carry out update)) and that the problem was at the server end and is now fixed.

I notice that the connected drive app has just been updated so maybe this is part of a connected drive upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #15
Gooders
Rep

Talking Fantastic - thanks PGN2383

Just saw your post. Did the services update then found it all working. Thanks for your persistence with Germany!
Appreciate 0