M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

07-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

Gtechniq Ceramic Coating

After having it 2 weeks I finally got around giving the new German mistress a thorough detail. It also gave me a chance to apply a ceramic coating for the first time.

Washed: 2 bucket method with Carpro Reset
Clayed to remove any bug guts and contamination from the shipping.

Light polish with Meguiars D302

Wiped down with Carpro Eraser to remove any polish oils and residues

One coat of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light

Two coats of Gtechniq EXOv4

It feels like glass and looks wetter than a...

Portimao Blue FTW!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Joro2819
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI

That's nice and the color is so deep now.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Nice, looks really good. How easy was the ceramic coating to apply? I'm looking at applying CSL and Exo as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsatbhs View Post
Nice, looks really good. How easy was the ceramic coating to apply? I'm looking at applying CSL and Exo as well.
Overall it was pretty easy to work with.
you will want to make sure:
1) you do any paint correction etc. before applying the CSL. That because once its on its on and tough to remove and will 'lock' in any defects etc. So take the time to get the paint looking tippy top and free of swirls etc.

2) before application make sure you wipe the paint down with some kind of IPA solution (panel wipe, carpro eraser) to remove any polish/wax oils and residues to make sure the coating bonds with the clear coat.

3) work in small sections (I did the hood in 4 sections). Apply with a cross hatch pattern, let sit for a minute or so and them wipe off. it wipes off pretty easy. but you will want to make sure you get it all off/leveled so work in a well lit garage and or use an LED light to inspect each section before moving on to the next one.

I recommend a 2 MF towel. One for the initial wipe off to remove most of the product and then a final towel to make sure you get everything.

Once you do a couple of panels you'll get the hang of the product.

4) my kit came with gloves. wear them.

5) EXO was a tad bit more difficult to wipe off. It has a little bit more tendency to smear but it still comes off easier than most traditional waxes.

I found this helpful

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsatbhs View Post
1) you do any paint correction etc. before applying the CSL. That because once its on its on and tough to remove and will 'lock' in any defects etc. So take the time to get the paint looking tippy top and free of swirls etc.

2) before application make sure you wipe the paint down with some kind of IPA solution (panel wipe, carpro eraser) to remove any polish/wax oils and residues to make sure the coating bonds with the clear coat.

3) work in small sections (I did the hood in 4 sections). Apply with a cross hatch pattern, let sit for a minute or so and them wipe off. it wipes off pretty easy. but you will want to make sure you get it all off/leveled so work in a well lit garage and or use an LED light to inspect each section before moving on to the next one.

I recommend a 2 MF towel. One for the initial wipe off to remove most of the product and then a final towel to make sure you get everything.

Once you do a couple of panels you'll get the hang of the product.

4) my kit came with gloves. wear them.

5) EXO was a tad bit more difficult to wipe off. It has a little bit more tendency to smear but it still comes off easier than most traditional waxes.

I found this helpful

Awesome, thanks for the tips and video. I'm pretty comfortable with all the prep work, but this will be the first time I apply a ceramic coating. I've heard the Gtechniq CSL and Exo are among the easier ones to apply.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
lausc
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i

Nice job! It seems that you did not have to do much paint correction. Did your car have the "Orange Peel" paint job which is found on most BMW cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lausc View Post
Nice job! It seems that you did not have to do much paint correction. Did your car have the "Orange Peel" paint job which is found on most BMW cars?
Yes it had some classic bmw orange peel. But I have never cared much about that.

Certainly not enough to do anything (wet sanding) about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive

Quote:

My M340i is going to be delivered in a few weeks. You said you did yours 2 weeks after getting it. I was planning on coating mine within a day or two of getting it. Do you think it would require a 2 bucket wash before CSL or would Panelwipe be sufficient?

I was thinking of getting the GTech CSL/EXOv/Panel wipe kit. Because it would be essentially brand new I figured the panel wipe would take off any residue that could be on it from shipping. Then be able to CSL-->EXOv.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #9
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman123 View Post
Quote:

My M340i is going to be delivered in a few weeks. You said you did yours 2 weeks after getting it. I was planning on coating mine within a day or two of getting it. Do you think it would require a 2 bucket wash before CSL or would Panelwipe be sufficient?

I was thinking of getting the GTech CSL/EXOv/Panel wipe kit. Because it would be essentially brand new I figured the panel wipe would take off any residue that could be on it from shipping. Then be able to CSL-->EXOv.

Thoughts?
If it were me I'd wash and then assess. I'd check to see if it needs clay/decon or any paint correction.

Then after that I'd do the panel wipe and coating.
Appreciate 0