BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

ALMOST UNDISGUISED 1-er CABRIO > Great New Pics

Spied: 2009 BMW 1-Series Cabrio

Although the cabrio comes in a distant 3rd in body preferences for the 1-er on the site's poll, it's still going to be an interesting ride...recent pics.

A regular ol’ cloth top for the convertible version of the “back-to-basics” Bimmer.
BY STEVE SILER, PHOTOGRAPHY BY GUY POREPP AND BRENDA PRIDDY & COMPANY
May 2007 CarandDriver

One of our wily spies has caught yet another snap of BMW’s highly anticipated, U.S.-bound 1-series. Now, just how he was able tell this thing apart from, say, a 2001 3-series convertible driven by a cell-phone-totin’ blind man using walls for brakes, we didn’t ask. But underneath the scrapes, the band-aids, the fender casts and strap-on lights, it’s quite clear what this actually is: a proto of the rumored 1-series convertible.

The most newsworthy aspect of these shots is indeed the most obvious: that the convertible will be offered with a cloth convertible top, one that preserves the roof shape of the coupe, while looking remarkably like the convertible top on the E46-generation 3-series convertible, which was sold between 2000 and 2006. No “sheetmetal sandwich” in the trunk like the new, 3-series convertible, no fancy 6-series-style fabric buttresses. Just a simple ragtop, that’s all. We humbly encourage more of that kind of thinking in Munich.
?

Unmasked by the camouflage are the classic BMW proportions of the 1-series, i.e. classic BMW 2002 proportions. If you want to see what’s underneath it—such as its shapely fuselage and bright-eyed headlamps—just check out our last spy shot of the 1-series coupe, or our minitest of the 2006 130i hatchback we conducted last year in Europe. That said, by the time it gets here next year as an ’09 model, it’ll be time for the Euro 1-series to receive a mid-cycle nip/tuck, so we may actually get a freshened version. We’ll see.

The convertible will undoubtedly offer the most extensive list of standard and optional features available on any 1-series when the ragtop makes its debut following the coupe’s mid-2008 arrival. Among them are some things we love, such as BMW’s clear gauges, aluminum trim, and supportive front seats, as well as things we hate, such as optional iDrive and Active Steering. We’re also looking forward to seeing the 1er with the M Sport package that will bring 18-inch wheels, zoomy body mods, and an aluminum-trimmed interior. But, heck, we’ll be content just to see the car without its inner-city war-zone camouflage first.

Still unclear at this point is exactly what will be on the menu in the engine bay, but we do know that all choices will have six cylinders. Will we see a 230-horsepower 128i? Possibly. A 255-hp 130i? Slam-dunk. What about a twin-turbocharged, 300-hp 135i or M1? It’s been discussed. Both manual and manumatic transmissions will be offered. Given the relatively low expected weight of between 3100 and 3400 pounds, any of these possibilities promise sprightly acceleration and lively handling.

We await our first look at the coupe in Frankfurt this fall, at which point we’ll be able to provide far more specifics.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
2008-130ci
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Don't believe everthing you read.

Looks the same as all other spy shots of the COUPE!!

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep

What's different about these pics from all the others we've seen?
2 things > Looks like production settings on ride height, and we get a clear look at the
fenders and doors.
Note that these are two different cars...one still has the tape across the fender and lower door-sill character lines...why I don't know- is it any different than the 1-er hatch?
Also, my MB-buddy is right...there's a built-in spoiler along the upper lip of the trunk ala Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125d View Post
Don't believe everthing you read.

Looks the same as all other spy shots of the COUPE!!

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377
Different cars if you look closely. Plates are different. Also, a better (truer) lens here. Not as much optical distortion as the photos on your link...due to the fact that a zoom lens was most likely used.
Don't believe everything you see.
:smile:

ps...In spite of the fact I shouldn't believe everything I hear either, I've heard that the production model 1-er coupe is being shown to BMW dealers
across Europe.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
2008-130ci
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Different cars if you look closely. Plates are different. Also, a better (truer) lens here. .
I think you missed my point... it is not the Cabrio.

You can also tell the tape job around the lights is different as well. Also the trunk is disguised differently... I sure hope the trunk looks like the Z4.. I LOVE that ass!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125d View Post
I think you missed my point... it is not the Cabrio.

You can also tell the tape job around the lights is different as well. Also the trunk is disguised differently... I sure hope the trunk looks like the Z4.. I LOVE that ass!!

You could be right! :iono: Original Photo is id'd as the Cabrio tho. And I looked at it pretty good...but now...wtfknows.

Ditto w. you on the Z4 spoiler.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep

Butt maybe more like this...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I am loving second picture in black. Something funky is going on with the headlights. PRESS RELEASE PLEASE....i dont know how much longer i can go!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

If this is a pic of the new 1er coupe

[quote=Brookside;2567]

quote]

I may switch from the 1er Cab to the 1er coupe....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Came face to face with a 1er cabrio today .

The 1er Cabrio was finished in an exclusive cabrio color called "Aqua Blue" Which is very similar to the light Blue color seen on Lamborghini models - The interior featured a leather trim called "AquaMarine" and was a very pale bluish green , The roof folds in exact function as the Z4 Roadster quick and simple and open and closed in seconds. New 18" alloy wheel designs also feature as BMW intend to position Coupe and Cabrio as the sporting alternatives of the 1er products. With colors and trims and exterior options to extend it's sporting and dynamic pretentions.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Came face to face with a 1er cabrio today .

The 1er Cabrio was finished in an exclusive cabrio color called "Aqua Blue" Which is very similar to the light Blue color seen on Lamborghini models - The interior featured a leather trim called "AquaMarine" and was a very pale bluish green , The roof folds in exact function as the Z4 Roadster quick and simple and open and closed in seconds. New 18" alloy wheel designs also feature as BMW intend to position Coupe and Cabrio as the sporting alternatives of the 1er products. With colors and trims and exterior options to extend it's sporting and dynamic pretentions.

I can imagine the color you're talking about...similar to "Bugatti Blue."

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #12
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

If that's actually a cabrio, that's the best camo job I've seen. The tape outlines a full sized rear window, I think there is the outline of a moonroof and there is a sharkfin antenna. There's also a clean edge to the side window frames indicating that, well, there are window frames. Despite what the article says, I have a lot of trouble believing it's not another coupe prototype toodling around for all to see...

Nice coupe pictures though, C&D!!!
Appreciate 0