E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Yet another XK thread.....

07-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Yet another XK thread.....

Thanks to Helen, I popped into my local Jaguar dealer this afternoon - PV Dobson at Levens. I had seen they had a few XKs and wanted a closer look - like you do! The dealership is one of the best I have dealt with (my Volvo came from there), the other dealer I highly rate is Bateman BMW, serving the same area and another family firm (5 cars from them; 3 Beemers and 2 Minis). I don't know if it is because it is the South Lakes and there is plenty of money, but the dealers around here are simply the most friendliest and accommodating bunch, nothing is too much trouble, absolutely no pressure, the test drives are just a case of asking then disappearing off unaccompanied for as long as it takes. I had told the salesman, the same chap I dealt with getting the V70, that I was not in a position to buy now but that didn't matter he had plenty of time to chew the fat about cars, we looked over some XFs, an XK8 and some XKs and then I went for a spin!

Unfortunately they didn't have an 'R' to drive so I took an 06 plate XK 4.2 Cab for a blast down the A590, through Kendal and back again - roof down of course! I had missed the sound of a V8! I started up an older XK8 first - a very understated V8 burble; the newer XK V8 (same 4.2 engine?) sounded so much better - it must be the exhaust set up I assume. Anyway, I loved the XK, stunning looking car from every angle, the interior is classy, the ride on the 20" Sentas surprisingly smooth. The rear seats are an absolute joke though, fine if you have a torso(small) and no legs, but rather useless otherwise. I know the gearbox is nothing special, not being a double clutch setup, it was still smooth and in sport mode with manual changes via the paddles, you get to hear the sound of the V8 a little more often!

I have always loved the XKs, I still want to drive the XKR and the chap is going to give me a call when one is on stock. If I had the money spare I would be sorely tempted!

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
N'owt wrong with having a nosy and testing different things I say Peter.

Sounds like it all went ok and although I've not driven the 4.2 V8, with regard to the auto box, on the 5.0 litre monster lol, they've tweeked the box and tbh it really is well 'in tune' with the engine I'd say. It doesn't nanny like some auto boxes can. Ok, haven driven the Cayman S on Wednesday with PDK it wasn't quite like that but we're talking different cars anyhow and with totally different purposes in life if you will and no where near the kind of torque. Bear in mind AM don't do a dual clutch system either.

Jaguar have rung me since and asked if I would like the XKR for another day and is there anything they can do to tempt me! I did say from the get go that I'm awaiting the RS5. Sounds like you've got a very good dealer there which is nice for piece of mind.

Keep us posted on how you get on though please.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

The XK is a great looking car.

I think that the current engine is all new compared to the 06 car in the photos.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Mmm nice! yeah the 5.0 v8 is an all new unit called Gen III (on their car mag adverts at the moment). The 4.2 had been around a long time, but still sounds a peach from what Peter is saying...

I sat in a XKR yesterday - wow, what a amazing car, so sleek yet imposing was deeply impressed. Agree the back seats are a joke, noticed the vert had isofix, not sure my kids seats would even fit

Also sat in the updated XF-S (which now has the XFR interior - sports seats, piano black interior) - oh my, you know when you have to force yourself to get up and walk out .

Last edited by TMP; 07-24-2010 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Mr.N
BM Baby
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

I'm actually "babysitting" my bosses 2006 XK convertible for the next few weeks. I really like it but I'm always glad to get back in my car to be honest.

The XK is quite quick, quiet, really comfy and pretty crap on fuel. I haven't had much chance to have the roof down yet but with the windows down it sounds lovely when you accelerate slowly from standstill to about 15 / 20 mph, really deep grumble. The gearbox is pretty lazy but it's perfect for "wafting" along in.

I have found that I get let out of junctions a lot quicker in the Jaaaag and it does turn heads, even though there are a good few of them around. It also has a big impact on me when I drive it - I feel like I have a duty to be super courteous and patient!
      07-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Did you hear the XKR on Topgear tonight? Diaz was donuting with Jeremey as passenger- what a sound, wow, jibber, wobble.