E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > What do you all think ?

09-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Halpin13
Michael Halpin
England
Rep
Drives: On the hunt

Garage List
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
What do you all think ?

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months ive been creating a website for a section in work.

just wanting to know what you guys think ?

anything i can improve on etc ??

http://rubbmilitary.com

thank you all
      09-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Fantastic! Very professional looking, great choice of colors. Looks like there's some sort of a symbol in the background after you click on "enter" but it's very hard to see. I'm assuming you want it to be subtle but it may be just a bit too subtle. Perhaps you could brighten it up just slightly so it could actually be seen and not completely overlooked would work a bit better. Very minor nit there - looks great overall. Well done!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Good effort but drop the intro page.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
yes, fully agree

nice job
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Halpin13
Michael Halpin
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
thanks for the comments...

the landing page i don't like also but its a message that the MD wanted to get across and he wanted it to be the first thing people saw.

never mind .....

i see what you mean by the background... ill take a look at that tomorrow.

thanks
      09-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpin13 View Post
thanks for the comments...

the landing page i don't like also but its a message that the MD wanted to get across and he wanted it to be the first thing people saw.

never mind .....

i see what you mean by the background... ill take a look at that tomorrow.

thanks
ok, in that case i would either make it look like a note, or personalised message..

or (more likely) talk to your MD and explain why that design option is not a good idea, that 'landing pages' are very 1990s and website 'fashions' move with, if not faster than clothing etc.. etc..

mention that it reflects on the company to use a landing page in this manner as being non progressive or some such non sense

that ol' trick usually works with my MD
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Halpin13
Michael Halpin
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
ok, in that case i would either make it look like a note, or personalised message..

or (more likely) talk to your MD and explain why that design option is not a good idea, that 'landing pages' are very 1990s and website 'fashions' move with, if not faster than clothing etc.. etc..

mention that it reflects on the company to use a landing page in this manner as being non progressive or some such non sense

that ol' trick usually works with my MD
i see what you mean haha.... i like that one ill go and see him tomorrow and see what he think and ill say about people no bothering on entering and just boucing away.. that should do it lol
      09-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpin13 View Post
i see what you mean haha.... i like that one ill go and see him tomorrow and see what he think and ill say about people no bothering on entering and just boucing away.. that should do it lol
if he won't budge, you could use google analytics to track the average time spent on the landing page..

for me, i immediately went "wtf is this", click.. never even read it
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

I was watching the news yesterday showing the Tornadoes in Afganistan and wondered who made the temporary hangars - now I know!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Halpin13
Michael Halpin
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
I was watching the news yesterday showing the Tornadoes in Afganistan and wondered who made the temporary hangars - now I know!
thats us any high res pics you want just as check out our flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbmilitary or email me mj.halpin@rubb.co.uk
      09-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Halpin13
Michael Halpin
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilL View Post
I say to myself why would you read it lol.... but never mind lol
      09-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #12
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

You could perhaps investigate a JQuery popup onload for that message - but in front of the main site. That way users can see the main site in the background - know they are in the right place, but get to read the message as well. If you also trigger it based on the result of a check for a cookie FAILING, then it will only pop up for a visitor's first visit to the site in a given time period (until the cookie expires, etc).

...But it might just be easier to get the page removed I too agree that it needs to go..

A nice site overall anyway. Good effort.
      09-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #13
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
I actually come from a web design / development background so I hope I don't sound too harsh. I agree with other comments about removing intro page, if it's important information you should just include it on the main page.

Overall design not too bad, I see you are quite new to Photoshop and web development so it is a challenge. I would say the white outside glow looks a bit amature, if you wanted to keep that affect it should be more subtle perhaps a dark grey. The address and phone number should ideally be text and not part of the image, it allows users to copy and paste it into Google maps etc or if they use skype to call people it will show up as a button they can easily click.

Other than that the programming could be improved greatly but I assume it was made for you by some kind of application.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
Halpin13
Michael Halpin
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiz View Post
I actually come from a web design / development background so I hope I don't sound too harsh. I agree with other comments about removing intro page, if it's important information you should just include it on the main page.

Overall design not too bad, I see you are quite new to Photoshop and web development so it is a challenge. I would say the white outside glow looks a bit amature, if you wanted to keep that affect it should be more subtle perhaps a dark grey. The address and phone number should ideally be text and not part of the image, it allows users to copy and paste it into Google maps etc or if they use skype to call people it will show up as a button they can easily click.

Other than that the programming could be improved greatly but I assume it was made for you by some kind of application.
Thanks for the comments, the site is coded/designed by myself in Dreamweaver, you are right, im new and had a crash course with Dreamweaver but Photoshop is something ive been learning myself.

I do agree with the white halo remark... over the past months of creating this website, I would prefer box’s with a line grey line around but its something I can change. I noticed when starting out I felt like I needed to create an impact and try and use everything I could from Photoshop but after creating this site I much prefer the simple and minimalist look.
      09-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
I would also drop the intro page.

Also, on many of the the pages the navigation buttons linking to other pages on the site are hidden at the extreme bottom of the page. I know that some companies do this, but I would put them at the top of every page to make things easier.

Also, I would make them smaller so that they only span the top of the page and don't go onto a second line.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #16
Halpin13
Michael Halpin
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
top four images changed

http://rubbmilitary.com/home.htm
      09-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #17
Halpin13
Michael Halpin
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
I would also drop the intro page.

Also, on many of the the pages the navigation buttons linking to other pages on the site are hidden at the extreme bottom of the page. I know that some companies do this, but I would put them at the top of every page to make things easier.

Also, I would make them smaller so that they only span the top of the page and don't go onto a second line.

ill see what the MD says but but i dont think he would want them at the top with him liking a simple clutter free site, but we will see, thanks