2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Premium hifi stereo - worth it?

01-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
AlBoston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 740i xdrive & 2018 640GT

Premium hifi stereo - worth it?

Heard the premium hifi today as part of the P2 package and wasn't impressed at all. How does it compare to the standard stereo?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
wessew10
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3; 2011 BMW 550i

It is much better than the standard stereo system. If you are serious about audio you will want the premium unit. My experience it that it does need to be tuned, and there are numerous settings including an equalizer to get that done. At default settings, the bass is far too elevated but the system provides the latitude to do that. Properly set, my premium system in my new 550i is fully the equivalent of the Mark Levinson system in my Lexus GS450H. I say this after living with the Lexus for 4 years and the 550i for four months.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
AlBoston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 740i xdrive & 2018 640GT

wow thats really funny, i had the mark levinson in my GS and thought that was EXCELLENT. I did not get the same feeling from this F10.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
ding
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 xdrive

it's super on my 535 x drive. you should get it. why not...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #5
The Mewster
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520d - arrived Jan 2011.

I've just got standard audio on my F11, it's certainly good enough for me, but I can definitely see (or rather hear!) where there's room for improvement, especially at higher volumes. Low end starts getting distorted at higher volumes, sounds like the amp is pushing out more than the speakers are capable of. But I'd still say it's a reasonable system, and far, far better than the standard audio system in the 3-series loaner I had for a month or so.

I don't think it's quite as good as the standard audio was in my A6.

Given an unlimited budget I certainly would have gone for it, but had to draw the line somewhere!

Pro media pack, visibility pack, sports steering wheel, heated seats, lumbar support, ambient lighting, USB interface, 18" wheels, parking camera, auto tailgate, sun protection glass.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
frenil
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

I think premium hifi, or Hifi professional as it is called in Europe, is one of the options that provides the best value. The components and technology (Dirac) are the same or better than what was offered in the individual program before the F10/F11 at more than twice the price. I think the sound quality is spectacular compared to what I have listened to before. Of course that is a matter of personal preference too.

The magazine Auto-Hifi (3-2009) tested the individual-system in 2009, which now is the premium in the f10/f11, and their conclusion was:

"As a matter of fact, this Individual-System is the best factory-designed sound system that AutoHifi has ever listened to."

Here is a (long) translation of the article. Keep in mind that the f10 wan't released at this time so they are not referring to it. The technology is the same though:

HIGH-END AB WERK -by Oliver Stauch, AutoHifi 3 2009
“FACTORY-PRODUCED HIGH-END”, partial translation by Dirac Research

BMW Individual High-End Sound System

"At BMW, the company M GmbH has for a long time focused on particular wishes of customers with its BMW-Individual configurations. This has also been done in this case: Instead of hiding behind established Hifi brands like most of their competitors, they provide a high-end audio system under their own brand, BMW Individual. Lear Corporation in Kronach stands behind this system. Lear develops and builds car hifi systems also for many other manufacturers - but not under their own name.
The BMW Individual High-End audio system can be obtained for all models, except the 1 series, the 7 series and the X3. For our test, we had an M3, in which the system can be obtained for the additional price of 2100 Euro. It requires the presence of the Professional car radio (210 Euros)."

"Digital filtering at studio level

The FIR filtering technology 'Dirac Live' has here been applied for the first time. This is a complex audio signal processing technology that compensates for the negative influence of the car compartment acoustics in both the time domain and the frequency domain.
In contrast to classic parametric equalizers, the influence of the FIR-filters are not restricted to a few frequency bands, they enable a precision of the correction that goes far beyond the need of human hearing.
The technology furthermore allows the adjustment of the phase response at all seat positions. This results in a more precise time arrival of the sound information, as compared to that obtained by pure delay compensation. For this purpose, the engineers have sampled between 100 and 200 measurement positions in the car, and compensated them with the Dirac algorithm."
"Best factory-designed sound

In the BMW Individual High-End Sound system, classic improvement techniques like a well-designed chassis and passive damping, meet the the domain of factory-designed Hifi-systems - advanced digital technology and tailored acoustic measurements. This should really sound good, or?
As a matter of fact, this Individual-System is the best factory-designed sound system that AutoHifi has ever listened to. It is one of these sound systems where one inevitably feels the urge to immediately bring the favorite CDs, to hear them in this equipment. So this author ended up spending some vertime
hours at long evening listening sessions in the M3.
First of all, the excellent bass precision was noticed. Many factory-designed systems lack energy in the kick-bass and try to hide this deficit with a blown-up upper bass sound.
This was different in the sound system of the BMW: thanks to the central bass speakers below the seats, bass drums hit so mercilessly dry, it was a joy to hear. Neither does the system neglect the deep bass.
Of course, two 38s would have produced different things, but, for example the somewhat hidden bass sequences in Didos "Don't believe in Love" or the electro bass in Trentmöllers "Nightwalker" generated an opulent but still precise bass in which nothing is missing.
Also the universality and the musicality of the system was striking. Many car Hifi systems show a preference to particular music styles; This results in clear quality differences in the sound. That was not the case for the Individual-System: It even conjured a homogeneous, lively sound from averagely compressed MP3 files. It convinced without problems equally for HipHop ŕ la Peter Fox, for rock by Maxďmo Park, and also for female solos and classic orchestras.
The path on which this equipment moved was narrow, but it always kept its course: The high notes rich in details and with high resolution, but never nervous, the spatial stage well balanced but never exaggerated or effect-seeking.
No question about it: This sound system represents the highest point among current factory-designed car Hifi systems. And this has been accomplished exclusively by using high-quality components and precise tuning, completely without special effects. Not even the price of 2100 Euro is an obstacle. We
congratulate to the result.”
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
bmedude
Woohoo I finally got a beamer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

You absolutely want to get the premium audio option. It really makes driving so much more pleasurable. The "base" stereo is decent but the premium is one of the better midsize car stereos that I've heard.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBoston View Post
Heard the premium hifi today as part of the P2 package and wasn't impressed at all. How does it compare to the standard stereo?
I opted for Business upgrade, it included the AMP and tweeters and gives a better sound at way less extra cost IMO.
      01-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #9
frenil
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I opted for Business upgrade, it included the AMP and tweeters and gives a better sound at way less extra cost IMO.
That one is standard in the USA. I know, it isn't fair...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
bugcab
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

I have Professional Audio (on week 37 Sept 10 build F11) and it sounded amazing. That was up until it started to develop a couple of rattles at certain tones! BMW have diagnosed this as a design fault as it also exists in my dealers demonstrator. They have therefore promised to refund me the cost of the option as they are unable to fix it!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

I have the standard stereo system.

Take my word for it, get the best option they provide.... hifi pro!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Autojack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M-Sport

Personal opinions will vary on this question - but IMHO the upgraded premium sound system is much better than the standard audio system.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
Riccardo
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
2017 BMW 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post
I have the standard stereo system.

Take my word for it, get the best option they provide.... hifi pro!
This F10 is my 4th serie 5 in last seven years and I experienced all 3 option for audio from base level to pro.
In my opinion, not an audiophile too:

Base level - unacceptable
Hi-Fi - very good for my needs (I have it for second time)
Hi-Fi pro Logic 7 - very very good but not so worth for my needs.
The second choice is a good compromise money/quality of sound.
530e G30 Dec2017, Glaciersilber, 18" 684 Runflat, Display Key, Alarm, Comfort Access System, Comfort Seats, (5AC), (5AS), (5DM), Adaptive Led Headlight, (6AC),(6AE), (6AG), (6AK), (6AM),(6AN),(6NW), (6UH), (6WB), Wifi Hotspot, (609), Dab Tuner, Hifi Loudspeaker System, Luxury Line, Active Protection For Pedestrians
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340

Pro Hifi definitely worth it for me but I listen to Classical music mostly and quality is very very good( do turn off the Surround Sound though). have Linn/Naim systems at home so it was important to me. Loving the DAB option also.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
This F10 is my 4th serie 5 in last seven years and I experienced all 3 option for audio from base level to pro.
In my opinion, not an audiophile too:

Base level - unacceptable
Hi-Fi - very good for my needs (I have it for second time)
Hi-Fi pro Logic 7 - very very good but not so worth for my needs.
The second choice is a good compromise money/quality of sound.
i have the middle hifi and its perfect for my needs - im not deaf but a branded audio would be extravagant for me
its just good enough so the average listener should not have any complaints -this includes high/mid/bass - but no better
of course it could have more bass, better tweeters -thats what the Pro option is for
if your not an audiophile, hifi is good enough, if u r, dont get the hifi then complain its not good enough!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
indus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugcab View Post
I have Professional Audio (on week 37 Sept 10 build F11) and it sounded amazing. That was up until it started to develop a couple of rattles at certain tones! BMW have diagnosed this as a design fault as it also exists in my dealers demonstrator. They have therefore promised to refund me the cost of the option as they are unable to fix it!
That's interesting and worrying. I wonder if they have resolved this issue on newer cars?
      01-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
stevelup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 with lots of toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugcab View Post
I'm not sure I'd be willing to accept that offer...
Appreciate 0