Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Best California Tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
iamjosh44
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Best California Tires

Hey everyone i have a 328i sedan and im getting knew wheels/tires. What is the best set of tires That i should get for Socal. My price range is about 750$. What will be the difference between the feeling of the tire you recomend and the RFT that is stock? Will their be a difference in speed of the car? I know nothing about tires...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
ShowTime12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Hankook v12, Falken 452, or Vredestein Sessanta I think are all in that price range.

I've only tried the Hankook v12s and will be in Michelin PS2's soon other than the OEM runflats on my e90. To tell you the truth I didn't notice much of a difference between the RFT and non-RFTs. Maybe it's just since I drive through such crappy roads all the time. Only significant difference I noticed was in turns the runflats had much better handling especially at high speeds. Not saying the Hankook v12s are bad but just not in same level through high speed turns as RFTs stiffer sidewalls. The v12s are slightly more comfortable than RFTs also. v12s are great in rain though.

I probably would have tried Vredestein Sessanta next in that price range if I wasn't going with Michelin's instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
iamjosh44
First Lieutenant
Rep

thanks!!! What about the continental dw's?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTime12 View Post
Hankook v12, Falken 452, or Vredestein Sessanta I think are all in that price range.

I've only tried the Hankook v12s and will be in Michelin PS2's soon other than the OEM runflats on my e90. To tell you the truth I didn't notice much of a difference between the RFT and non-RFTs. Maybe it's just since I drive through such crappy roads all the time. Only significant difference I noticed was in turns the runflats had much better handling especially at high speeds. Not saying the Hankook v12s are bad but just not in same level through high speed turns as RFTs stiffer sidewalls. The v12s are slightly more comfortable than RFTs also. v12s are great in rain though.

I probably would have tried Vredestein Sessanta next in that price range if I wasn't going with Michelin's instead.
The difference between RFT and Non-RFT is, at least to a majority of us, massive. I used to be terrified every time I drove over a crack or pothole in the road because it would feel like I ran into a land mine at the same time that a grenade went off inside the cabin. They were hugely loud, uncomfortable, and had shit for traction. I have gone with 2 different non-rft's and I simply don't feel that fear anymore. The bombs are gone!

Hankook V12's are cheap and pretty damn comfortable, even more-so when compared to RFT's.

Judging by your post, I assume you won't be doing much highspeed cornering or anything, so a cheap summer tire with high treadwear is what you're looking for.

Go to tirerack.com and read the reviews/tests. V12's are a solid choice for the money if you don't plan on tracking.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
ShowTime12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
The difference between RFT and Non-RFT is, at least to a majority of us, massive. I used to be terrified every time I drove over a crack or pothole in the road because it would feel like I ran into a land mine at the same time that a grenade went off inside the cabin. They were hugely loud, uncomfortable, and had shit for traction. I have gone with 2 different non-rft's and I simply don't feel that fear anymore. The bombs are gone!
Maybe it's just that I pumped up the PSI higher on non-RFT than the RFT to try to get same type of handling characteristics on high speed turns...I dunnnooo. I realize most the people in this forum say there is a huge difference between both, I'm just stating I didn't notice any day and night difference like others.

Also, I drive through really crappy roads daily (probably 50-100 potholes per city block), and the landmines go off regardless with or without runflats.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
iamjosh44
First Lieutenant
Rep

i actually drive through the canyons a couple times a week. so the evo's are good for that?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

I have falken 452's right now.. I like them. perfect for most situations in socal. Going to try the hankooks next time around though!
      04-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
ShowTime12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjosh44 View Post
i actually drive through the canyons a couple times a week. so the evo's are good for that?
I drive through "canyons" at least once a week with them. Good enough, just pump them up to around 38 PSI.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisE92 View Post
I have falken 452's right now.. I like them. perfect for most situations in socal. Going to try the hankooks next time around though!
had the falkens, hated them. Nitto invos were the best I've ever had after PS2s, very quiet, good grip, and virtually no tramlining.