Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire shop messed up my TPMS install... Questions

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Tire shop messed up my TPMS install... Questions

So I had bought from my dad his used set of Sport Edition A7 winter wheels (that he got from Tire Rack ) but they didn't have TPMS on them, so I bought those thru Preston, and went to the local tire shop to get them installed.

When I showed up at the shop, they were sort of puzzled by the sensors, and the lack of install instructions. I knew right then that wasn't a good sign... (up here, very few cars have TPMS systems - most use the Flat Tire Monitoring system, which doesn't require sensors and tells you've got a flat because of the changed diameter of the wheel and tire)

But I managed to luckily find a PDF from Beru, printed it for them, and figured I'm sure they can at least hopefully follow instructions?
They did the install, the sensors matched up to the car, so all was good.

I drove a week, but then got a warning on one tire, and thought, bummer, got a flat already?!

I took it in and they called me to say it wasn't a flat, but that the "Collar nut - E in the picture below" was loose, so the air had leaked out. They tightened it, and told me to go back so they could check the other three wheels to be safe.

Now that they've done that, I'm wondering if they could have screwed anything else up, that might come back to bite me?
  • Like what if the Torx screw wasn't done up properly?
  • Or they overtightened the collar nut? It's supposed to be done to 3 ft lbs only, and I saw him wrenching on it...
  • Or that according to the BERU manual (at least during removal) you're not supposed to retighten the collar nut?

Here's a nice DIY guide I found: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...made-easy.html

And the BERU install guide too.

Aaarrggghhh!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TPMS install.pdf (92.2 KB, 99 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
dragazn
Major
Rep
Drives: i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.76]
I'm in the same shoes like you, stupid TPMS light keep on appearing and said Inactive, replace with Beru as well. Anyways if you keep on resetting it it will go away and sometimes it doesn't. If the light go away and you shut off the engine and comes back later it will appear inactive again. Just pissing me off lately. Several times i just stop resetting it and let see what happen, it goes away and comes back again when i get in the car for a drive. ( I check no flat, got enought air 36psi front and 39psi rear
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Anyone got any thoughts?
Appreciate 0