Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > URGENT QUESTION - Square vs Staggered

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

URGENT QUESTION - Square vs Staggered

I'm about to buy some wheels as I type this...and I need to know.

Is there any advantage to run a staggered set up (18x8 front and 18x9 rear) vs a square set up (18x9 all around)???

I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong sizes for my E92.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an 18x9 square set up...any advice is MUCH appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Square setup PROS:
- same size tires all around, so they can be rotated

Staggered setup PROS:
- more aggressive look
- wider tires in the back for more grip

Some say you get more understeer with one setup over the other, but it's minimal. It's all about preference. Also, make sure you order the right offsets to prevent rubbing.

Edit - I personally run a staggered setup...19x8.5 fronts, 19x10 rears.
      12-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
Square setup PROS:
- same size tires all around, so they can be rotated

Staggered setup PROS:
- more aggressive look
- wider tires in the back for more grip

Some say you get more understeer with one setup over the other, but it's minimal. It's all about preference. Also, make sure you order the right offsets to prevent rubbing.

Edit - I personally run a staggered setup...19x8.5 fronts, 19x10 rears.

I've searched a ton and I've read the same thing...but if you add a spacer to the rear...isn't it the same as being staggered?

Basically I was looking to run the following setup:

18x8 Front
18x9 Rear

--------------------

I have the chance to get an 18x9 square set. Is there any reason I should hold out and just get a straight staggered setup?

I mean...if I add a spacer in the rear...it'll basically be like if I run a wider wheel in the rear...right?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

If you're pushing to the limits (i.e. tracking), the differences are not small. With my square setup for the winter, I crapped my pants a few times by just mildly beasting with DSC off as I had usually done with staggered stock setup. I say oversteer is pretty dramatic with square compared to stock. Sure it's more fun, and sure the factory design is to induce a bit of understeer for safety, but I would have never guessed that the the car's innate feel of being solid and stable would diminish that much. In the end, it really comes down to your preference. I'm planning on growing some more hair on my balls before tracking with square setup, haha.

Spacer or not, square is still square due to contact width/area. Btw 18x9 front won't be an easy fit I think.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
If you're pushing to the limits (i.e. tracking), the differences are not small. With my square setup for the winter, I crapped my pants a few times by just mildly beasting with DSC off as I had usually done with staggered stock setup. I say oversteer is pretty dramatic with square compared to stock. Sure it's more fun, and sure the factory design is to induce a bit of understeer for safety, but I would have never guessed that the the car's innate feel of being solid and stable would diminish that much. In the end, it really comes down to your preference. I'm planning on growing some more hair on my balls before tracking with square setup, haha.

Spacer or not, square is still square due to contact width/area. Btw 18x9 front won't be an easy fit I think.

Funny!

I wouldn't be doing any tracking ever...just regular spirited driving.

Per your point...I was alittle scared about the front as well...but I see a ton of people that run 18x9 up front.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

adding a spacer to the rear doesnt make that staggered. spacers just widen the track. staggered means ur rear tire widths are wider than the front tire widths...i.e.- 265 rear vs. 235 front.

and wouldnt it have been better to have thought this through before making a purchase? as opposed to making a thread after ur already at a tire shop??
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
adding a spacer to the rear doesnt make that staggered. spacers just widen the track. staggered means ur rear tire widths are wider than the front tire widths...i.e.- 265 rear vs. 235 front.

and wouldnt it have been better to have thought this through before making a purchase? as opposed to making a thread after ur already at a tire shop??
I'm not at a tire shop...and I haven't purchased anything...but thanks for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
MRRwheels
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

on my personal side if your choice is to run 18x8 fronts and 18x9 rears
or 18x9 all around then i would go with 18x9 all around. in my eyes i feel the 18x8 is simply to thin for a BMW e90/e92. is almost like someone offering 18x7.5 fronts and 18x8.5 rears (WTF !) just do 18x8.5 all around, staggered set up can work great under performance views but it should be more like a 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 or 18x10.
i dont mean to confuse you just do 18x9 square.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
badass1g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

If your car is not an XI, your stock rims/tires are staggered. So you want to do it right, get the new ones staggered as the car was built to be. Ever see how funny it looks on a RWD car that has the same size tires in the front and rear? Looks like a deformed POS IMO. Good luck sir.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
manu328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi

I have a staggered set on my 08 e92 328xi. Never knew u can run staggered on a awd car but BMW does know more than us.. Ps I like them....
Appreciate 0