Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Weight savings from wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Weight savings from wheels

I calculated that if I got 18 inch TRMotorsport MT1 wheels which would be 2 inch bigger then mine. And with Pilot super sport which aren't run-flats. I would save 27 lbs altogether. I was wondering if that is a lot of weight saved and if I would notice a difference performance wise. Suppose the wheels were the same width and the tires had the same grip, would I still notice a big difference?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Infamous
Secret Asian Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

yup. youll still feel it especially when youre braking
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Sounds like fun
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Yea it's a small difference. It's no miracle, you will quickly get used to it.

If you track your car, you will save second or 2.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
OPTIMAXED1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP, E91 328i

Will improve the ride too, and initial acceleration will feel snappier as engine will have less wheel mass to move
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
loki7177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

27 lbs will have almost no effect if it was saved somewhere else. But 27 lbs of rolling weight is significant. Acceleration, braking, and gas mileage will be slight better.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki7177 View Post
27 lbs will have almost no effect if it was saved somewhere else. But 27 lbs of rolling weight is significant. Acceleration, braking, and gas mileage will be slight better.
Will the steering be more responsive?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Weight has little to no affect on steering response. The type of tire and size of tire will make the most difference. Going from a run flat to a non run flat tire will make the steering response slower in most cases. Going to a lower profile tire will make steering response faster in most cases. If your 16" runflats were all season tires, those have slower steering response than a summer runflat tire. Assuming you have the OEM Conti or Bridgestone all season run flat tire on your car now, you'll likely have a bit faster steering response with the Pilot Super Sport in 18".

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Weight has little to no affect on steering response. The type of tire and size of tire will make the most difference. Going from a run flat to a non run flat tire will make the steering response slower in most cases. Going to a lower profile tire will make steering response faster in most cases. If your 16" runflats were all season tires, those have slower steering response than a summer runflat tire. Assuming you have the OEM Conti or Bridgestone all season run flat tire on your car now, you'll likely have a bit faster steering response with the Pilot Super Sport in 18".

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp
I have summer Michilin primacy Hp ZP. Which to my understanding are similar to the OEM all-season Continentals. My question is will I have better or worse steering response once I upgrade my wheels and tires? I understand the Pilot Super Sport have a higher load rating. Comfort is a plus but its not at the top of my list.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
I have summer Michilin primacy Hp ZP. Which to my understanding are similar to the OEM all-season Continentals. My question is will I have better or worse steering response once I upgrade my wheels and tires? I understand the Pilot Super Sport have a higher load rating. Comfort is a plus but its not at the top of my list.
The steering response should be better due to going to a lower profile tire as Gary pointed out.

I went from the stock 18" 162 wheels and upgraded to 18" Advan RS wheels and saved 40lbs total. It DEFINITELY made a difference in braking, acceleration and suspension reaction.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

+1 to what everyone is saying.

When i put ltw5's on my car (18 pounds each) i found a noticable difference when braking and in my fuel consumption. It isnt a HUGE increase, but it is noticable.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Yes, I would expect faster steering response with one caveat. Keep in mind that brand new, full tread depth tires have more tread squirm than nearly bald tires. So, if you feel like the tires aren't more responsive right out of the gate, that would why.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I went from some heavy CSL's to 19lb Morr VS8.2's and it was a huge difference. With tires, I saved roughly 8 lbs per corner. The gains were incredible, the car felt so much more nimble. Quicker acceleration, faster braking, cornering felt more crisp....I could go on and on.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Yes, I would expect faster steering response with one caveat. Keep in mind that brand new, full tread depth tires have more tread squirm than nearly bald tires. So, if you feel like the tires aren't more responsive right out of the gate, that would why.
Also what tire pressure would you recommend for front and back? Should I stick to OEM specs 33 front 41 rear? The closest tire pressure I could find for the tire size and speed rating is 33 front and 39 rear. Which is recommended for the 330i with Front: 225/40 R 18 88 Y and Rear: 255/35 R 18 90 Y. But with a different load rating (not XL).
Appreciate 0