2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums ASIA Software update

01-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
koby
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30/C9RS5/993/C8RS6/S2K

Software update

Went in for my first service yesterday. Standard stuff but they indicated that they updated the software. Figured with all the instability issues (w/ idrive, iPod function, tranny), the update must make things better. WRONG.

Things that have already gone wrong in the short 12hrs since I've picked it up:

1) no more album display from the iPod
2) phone book no longer lists in alphabetical order
3) transmission more jerky than ever
4) no sound out the stereo (had to cycle thru the modes before sound returned)

Completely crap. Going to give them an earful Monday. Waste of time and suggest if youre going in for service NOT to update software.

Good luck

Last edited by koby; 01-27-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
I still don't know if they do or don't update when you ask them not to unless there is an extremely noticeable aftermath. It's kinda like a trust thing between you and them.
I have an 06 e90 also and I had to bring it in last year for some ac issue diagnosis and they wanted to know if I wanted to update the programming. I declined as I'm happy w the car the way it is. As opposed to when I first got it and everytime they had it something was different or didn't work like it did previously.

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
jxnco
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Yep I lost my album covers too. They updated mine half a year ago without asking for my permission. I finally figured out why the album covers disappeared. The Transportation Dept forced them to do so because they treat the album covers as graphics (like TV) which is illegal when the vehicle is moving. Even if you instructed them not to update, they will as they are bound by the Transport Dept to do so.

It's just incredibly stupid.

I'm thinking of downloading the latest software from BMW.com and doing the upgrade myself to see if I can get back my album covers and have my phonebook in alphabetical order again.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
koby
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30/C9RS5/993/C8RS6/S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
I still don't know if they do or don't update when you ask them not to unless there is an extremely noticeable aftermath. It's kinda like a trust thing between you and them.
I have an 06 e90 also and I had to bring it in last year for some ac issue diagnosis and they wanted to know if I wanted to update the programming. I declined as I'm happy w the car the way it is. As opposed to when I first got it and everytime they had it something was different or didn't work like it did previously.
Shoulda done it your way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnco View Post
Yep I lost my album covers too. They updated mine half a year ago without asking for my permission. I finally figured out why the album covers disappeared. The Transportation Dept forced them to do so because they treat the album covers as graphics (like TV) which is illegal when the vehicle is moving. Even if you instructed them not to update, they will as they are bound by the Transport Dept to do so.

It's just incredibly stupid.

I'm thinking of downloading the latest software from BMW.com and doing the upgrade myself to see if I can get back my album covers and have my phonebook in alphabetical order again.
Album covers I can live with but scrambling the telephone phone book is one of the stupidest things I've seen. There is NO justifiable reason why that is acceptable. In fact if anything it makes it operation more clumsy and as a result a hazard while driving defeating the principle of hands free functionality.

Going to give them an earful when the workshop opens on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
keep us posted. My car is Sep 10 built and don't have 6NR, they have not updated my software as they told me. But my phone book is also screwed after I took my car in last year.

2011 F10 528i Black Sapphire / Oyster Black
2000 E46 325ci Cabrio Titanium Silver / Black - retired
1997 E36/7 Z3 Montreal Blue / Black - retired
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
rikuF10
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 G29

Garage List
2019 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [8.50]
Stupid HK road safety law! I guess my Feb 2012 production F10 will not be able to display album cover art too....damn!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Koby, maybe they reset the transmission adaptive memory? if you complained about the jerkiness
RC, so we are too early don't get album covers /6NR .. so they don't need to update software to get rid of the album art right
So lucky guys between the certain dates, if you want to keep art don't get update, but not really possible if you want to get dealer oil change or have any other stuff to fix.
Appreciate 0