BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Military sales question

Hi all,

I've just been reading about the military sales program. Let me fully disclose that I am not military/retired military and I am posting this question to try to find a way to lower the price of a new F80 m3 for myself.

My father is retired army major, was formerly deployed to Sigonella NAS (Yeah, Army man deployed to naval air station ), and is enjoying his retirement. He and I have shared cars and he instilled in me my love of cars (especially Porsche).

When I go to Pentagon Car Sales, it appears he does not qualify for their BMW military sales program. Can anyone advise if there are any other programs or discounts he might be eligible for and that I could work with him to enjoy?

I'm a member of PenFed and use their great services already. Just wondering if anyone had any other tips or recommendations of Pentagon/Military programs I could use as a result of my father's service.

Thanks,

Joe
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

You definitely cannot do the military sales program directly through BMW, that's out.

However, USAA does a BMW buyer program (talked to my SA about this today). While not quite as good as the BMW direct program, still much better than not.

And being your father is retired military, you can join USAA. I would look at that route.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
messm6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

The Military program through USAA should save you 2K.. So its still a very attractive option for all Veterans like myself. I will definitely utilize it as long as they offer it on the M3/4..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Yes, USAA car buying service is your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Thanks gents. I'll have them quote me car and home insurance while they are at it, see if it's worth making the total switch.

My father has raved about USAA for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

pentagon car sales and pentagon federal credit union are two different companies. not related at all. pentagon car sales is actually a german business. there are several car dealers that are authorized to participate in the program however the requirements to buy through the program are quite strict.

the overseas military sales program is for active duty military, government civilians, and contractors with TESA status stationed overseas on permanent duty or tdy for 30 days or more. also if you are deployed you can participate. the big savings however is not paying sales tax. there is a big minus with the program as you don't get any free maintenance while overseas and you only have the 2 year warranty. once you get the car back in the US, the US warranty is then valid along with maintenance.

your father won't qualify as he is retired. if he got a job back in europe he would be eligible.

the european delivery price is about the same discount as the military pricing although not sure if thats the case with M cars. just do euro delivery and enjoy the car where it was designed to be driven at first.
      01-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

I've purchased 2 BMWs, including my current M3, through Pentagon Car Sales. Great prices and love the fixed low price. No negotiating. Just place your order.

To be eligible to purchase, you must be stationed overseas or deployed overseas at time of order. I was deployed both times I ordered the cars. They will require a valid copy of your orders.

As mentioned before, PENFED, is just a credit union anyone can be a member of. They're not related. Pentagon car sales is just one company that's involved with BMWs military sales program.

The comment about not paying sales tax is not completely accurate. When you receive your car in the US, you will be charged a use tax, which is basically the same as sales tax. Now, there are several loopholes you can find, depending on the state, to avoid paying this tax. My first BMW I paid the use tax in WA. The second one, I avoided paying it in HI.
      01-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Thanks again. I know PenFed is not the same thing; I brought them up as they also have a car buying service that offers discounted pre-set prices and super low financing.

USAA still looking like the best option, if they offer a negotiated price.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
unagi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
I've purchased 2 BMWs, including my current M3, through Pentagon Car Sales. Great prices and love the fixed low price. No negotiating. Just place your order.

To be eligible to purchase, you must be stationed overseas or deployed overseas at time of order. I was deployed both times I ordered the cars. They will require a valid copy of your orders.

As mentioned before, PENFED, is just a credit union anyone can be a member of. They're not related. Pentagon car sales is just one company that's involved with BMWs military sales program.

The comment about not paying sales tax is not completely accurate. When you receive your car in the US, you will be charged a use tax, which is basically the same as sales tax. Now, there are several loopholes you can find, depending on the state, to avoid paying this tax. My first BMW I paid the use tax in WA. The second one, I avoided paying it in HI.
Also, some states you pay the depreciated sales tax on the value at the time of import - not the new car price.

Can someone confirm what's posted above - that maintenance is not included? I thought you also got scheduled maintenance for the two year overseas warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
kt3130
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 335

Fact, no free maintenance overseas. I cant speak to the initial break in maintenance that Ms historically require, but as for the standard 4 years variety we get stateside, that’s not provided overseas for any time. Bought in Korea and Germany and took delivery in those countries; unbeatable program.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #11
boss_M3
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Austin Yellow

Military sale program

I current in the Army, stationed in Korea. BMW Military Sales is a privilege program designed specifically for US service personnel overseas. It is open to all active-duty military personnel, DoD Civilian ID Card holders and DoD contractors on temporary (TDY) or permanent (PCS) orders abroad at the time of purchase. Apart from your valid military ID, there is just one other thing you need: a passion for driving. This came off BMW website. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0