F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Stay away from this detailer in PHX!!!
ARMA SPEED

03-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Exclamation Stay away from this detailer in PHX!!!

I thought I'd share my experience with anyone in the PHX area who may use, or think to use a certain mobile detail service. Please take the time to read the whole post, as this story is kind of long and ridiculous...

Jovon Peterson's business "Peterson Perfectionist" does good work and is reasonably priced. However, the last time I used him, the kid he had working with him forced my windshield wiper arm up and took the paint off of the inside edge of my hood. The wound is about an inch long, and down to the primer. It was a bonehead mistake, the kid wasn't paying attention to what he was doing.

The damage is not the issue. I stayed calm, and talked it through with Jovon; he agreed to take care of the damage and was reasonably easy to communicate with after that. However, once I got the estimate to him from Chapman BMW Collision center, he freaked out, called the body shop and yelled at them about how he thought they were ripping him off, and said he wouldn't pay that. Then he called me and said he'd have to go through his insurance. (Keep in mind, Chapman's rates are standardized and they clearly illustrate each step of their work and itemize the costs on the estimate. They also exclusively do BMWs, and do excellent work, in my experience from a previous fix)

Now, this still all sounds fine and good aside from his nasty call to the shop; but that last call to me was the last I heard from him for a week, despite daily calls, voicemails and texts from me. He only responded to me after I told him that I would start telling his customers about this, and take him to court. At that point, when I finally got him on the phone, on Tuesday, 25 March, he had the nerve to tell me I should be satisfied with touch up paint, and not a professional paint correction! He actually told me that I don't care enough about my car to have him pay for the professional fix just because I haven't yet gotten fixed one other scratch I have on my trunk. He also said that his insurance deductable was $500; the quote for the work was about $470.

I finally got him to agree to meet me this last weekend at the body shop, because he insisted on being able to try and negotiate the price down with the shop. I acquiesced and got the ok from Jason at Chapman to meet with the guy, despite the aformentioned nasty phone call Jovon had already made. (Mind you, Jason uses his personal time to receive cars on Saturdays from some customers, and I live in Sierra Vista, so I can only get up there on the weekends)

Wednesday, 26 March, I told Jovon he needed to meet me at the body shop at 0830, Saturday the 1st of March. He responded that he couldn't make it until after 1300, because of work. Now, he's made me wait for a wash until after 1200, when we originally scheduled for 0800, so I told him he could delay his other customer just like he had me in the past, in order to correct this situation. I said that Jason doesn't work Saturdays, and that I can't ask him to change the time he's available. That's when he went silent again.

I haven't heard from him since, so I've started spreading the word. I am a man of my word, and I will get my money out of him, even if I have to take him to court. I hope anybody reading this avoids or stops using his service, because when the chips are down, this guy has shown grave character deficiencies and lacks integrity.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Thanks for sharing. Good to know. I hope a better resolution comes out of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
kyouhakuteki
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Mineral White

Gross!

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouhakuteki View Post
Gross!

Any updates?
I haven't been on the forum in a while, but I'm still dealing with this guy. I've had to file for default judgment because he failed to respond to the claim. If I get the default judgment, then I have to figure out how to collect from him... Dirtbag. Had to have him served, and he claimed to be someone else. Server was able to ID him from his tattoos though. Seemed like a stand up guy originally...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
kyouhakuteki
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Mineral White

Hope it goes well - if it's a default judgement, you should be able to just garnish his wages. Kind of a crappy thing to do but he wrong'ed you, putting himself in that position. I hope it all works out for you.

I don't get it though, why doesn't he just pay up and get this resolved instead of putting his credit in jeopardy?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I agree completely. Plus honor and integrity and all that...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
punjabimd
Rep
Drives: 435i cvt

What a complete jerk. I'm moving to Phoenix this Fall and will be sure to steer clear of this guy. I'll spread the word, too.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Good to hear you're spreading the message about detailers with shady practices and no morals. Hopefully this will work out eventually. Quite strange he's being a dirtbag about just $470... This will cost him a lot more in lost business.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
eljefe87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i M-Sport

What kind of paint correction are you getting? I had the same issue happen. I was mad at the situation and only noticed it because they messed up in putting my clear bra and not rolling the edges. The problem is that the damage is on the edge and you would have to blend part of the hood to get a perfect coat. I don't think they can get a perfect coat without having to blend can they? I preferred not go that route as I did not want my car to have that much paint work. I agreed to having them do touch up on the damage. Plus I had them redo the clear bra and roll up the edge, so i don't think i will have any damage. I also talked to my dealer's shop who said they didn't recommend doing any major paint job. I will not say the touch up is an 100% match but it did the job and I have to remember or look at the area to remember the damage. Just wanted to share my similar experience with you, it is always frustrating when someone else damages your car. Hope you get the resolution your are looking for from the detailer. Too bad he is not owning up to his responsibility. Good luck.
      07-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe87 View Post
What kind of paint correction are you getting? I had the same issue happen. I was mad at the situation and only noticed it because they messed up in putting my clear bra and not rolling the edges. The problem is that the damage is on the edge and you would have to blend part of the hood to get a perfect coat. I don't think they can get a perfect coat without having to blend can they? I preferred not go that route as I did not want my car to have that much paint work. I agreed to having them do touch up on the damage. Plus I had them redo the clear bra and roll up the edge, so i don't think i will have any damage. I also talked to my dealer's shop who said they didn't recommend doing any major paint job. I will not say the touch up is an 100% match but it did the job and I have to remember or look at the area to remember the damage. Just wanted to share my similar experience with you, it is always frustrating when someone else damages your car. Hope you get the resolution your are looking for from the detailer. Too bad he is not owning up to his responsibility. Good luck.
I had a door ding scratch on the edge of my driver door (no dent/deformation) and a tiny scratch on my passenger door (less than an inch long). They wanted to blend from the front fender to the front of the rear fender on the passenger side. Whole thing was going to be $1700. Told them screw it and just kept the insurance money
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

this jovon sounds like a pos.
      07-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
I had a door ding scratch on the edge of my driver door (no dent/deformation) and a tiny scratch on my passenger door (less than an inch long). They wanted to blend from the front fender to the front of the rear fender on the passenger side. Whole thing was going to be $1700. Told them screw it and just kept the insurance money
Yeah, with the location of this, there won't be any blending necessary. However, when I shipped the car from Germany, the company damaged the center of the hood near the left fender. They must have dropped a ratchet strap on it or something. Locations like that do need blending with the metallic paint. That job cost about $1000, but I had my insurance for it. I will get this fixed, as it looks me in the eye every time I drive and I'd see the touch up if I used that.

I've just gotten a default judgment from the court, since the guy still hasn't contacted me, and failed to pay the court fee when he sent his rebuttal. Now to collect...
Appreciate 0