03-31-2014, 04:17 AM   #1
tremnon
Rep
Drives: no comment

Ordering system experience

Dear BMW,
you just lost a first-time customer.

Just to share my experience:
- reserved car in July 2013, even before the car was presented, and the first day reservations were possible
- received a reservation code
- in February I was told that soon it would have been possible to order the car
- on Friday i've been invited to place an order today (i.e. in March) at BMW itself, I'm not talking about a dealer here (I'm in Germany)
- went there this morning, I was ready to order the car...
- ... until when they talked me about delivery in December ("production starts in October" LOL!)

At that point I walked out.
I'm an engineer in an high-technology company, and I *fully* understand that it takes time to prepare and ramp production and I'm also *fully* willing to wait what has to be waited... That said, this ordering system is clearly not handled as a customer queue, and I probably should have gotten a Porsche a few months ago instead of waiting for this bullshit purchase experience moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Interesting. Sorry to hear of the frustrating experience.

Were you first on your dealer's list?

Start of production in October goes against everything we've bee hearing regarding the i8. Unless they meant your i8 would start in October... In which case it is possible / quite likely there were others on the list before you from other dealers and/or countries.

It's a limited run car and is being exported to a large number of countries. I can see where allocations can seem all over the place.

I highly doubt that BMW chose to put you in line behind other customers just because they felt like it. There is no logical reason to do so. The logical explanation is that there was already a long enough line (for Germany-bound i8's) when you placed your order to where you would up with an October time slot.

And, for all we know, that may be 2 people!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
I have the feeling we will be hearing more of these types of stories. I know they've had to shift production numbers and reduce allocations to some countries (I think India, one of the world's most populous countries,is getting 7). An October build would likely be the second batch/year of production (assuming something didn't go horribly wrong since they announced April production starting a couple weeks back). It's why I got it writing that I'm the first. I think there are going to be a good number of people who think they're first on the list find out they won't be getting a car for a year+, all because of lack of communication.

Sorry about your experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
tremnon
Rep

In this case there are no "dealers", as this was reserved with BMW AG directly, so it's not a matter of being the "first" at a local dealer.

The reservation was made in July 2013, and at the time the I8 (and the I3) had not even been officially presented. The I3 was presented one month later, the I8 2.5 months later.
LOL! That would explain many things :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
ddk632
United_States
Rep

@Carac, the thing though is you are first at your dealer, but that says nothing as to the actual time slot the dealer gets compared to other dealers for their first allocation, or how the allocations are spread out for cars designed for export to different countries. I certainly hope you get your car sooner than later so I can go up there and take some photos of it

I would love to know how that works. Does each country get their allocations in one production block, or is it rotated, or other?

My understanding also is the i8 will be built on the same production line as the i3, not on it's own dedicated line. If they plan to build 5000 cars per year (read that in the Car Magazine review that was posted here last week - but don't know if it's true as the author didn't cite a source - sounds a bit high to me) that's only about 15 cars a day. Or, they do a day of i8's and then a bunch of days of i3's.

Anyone knows? @Scott26?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremnon View Post
In this case there are no "dealers", as this was reserved with BMW AG directly, so it's not a matter of being the "first" at a local dealer.

The reservation was made in July 2013, and at the time the I8 (and the I3) had not even been officially presented. The I3 was presented one month later, the I8 2.5 months later.
LOL! That would explain many things :-)
I have never heard of reserving a car directly with BMW, is that only something German customers can do? Either way seems like the allocation has to be slotted in between other builds destined to dealers.

Did they give you any explanation of the delay?
What did they say when you walked out?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
tremnon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I have never heard of reserving a car directly with BMW, is that only something German customers can do?
Yes. The document I signed (and I just checked it once again) also explicitly mentions that the production place reserved depends on time of entry.

Quote:
Either way seems like the allocation has to be slotted in between other builds destined to dealers.
Of course, no objections to that!

Quote:
Did they give you any explanation of the delay?
When I objected about the delivery, the representative mentioned that production starts in October. I replied that BMW itself announced that production actually starts in April. In that moment the guy stopped giving coherent answers ;-)

Quote:
What did they say when you walked out?
That they can still sell me a 6 or 7 series with delivery in a few weeks.
Pure entertainment!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremnon View Post
When I objected about the delivery, the representative mentioned that production starts in October. I replied that BMW itself announced that production actually starts in April. In that moment the guy stopped giving coherent answers ;-)

That they can still sell me a 6 or 7 series with delivery in a few weeks.
Pure entertainment!
Wow. That's hilarious. Of course, BMW doesn't have any other car that even remotely beings to replace an i8

Bad news for all of us then, it really does sound like the i8 production is being delayed until October.

Therefore, don't feel too bad - we're all in the same boat.

Thanks for sticking around and providing some useful info and feedback from your personal experience.

I hope it won't leave a bad taste in your mouth over the i8 and you still end up getting the car, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@Carac, the thing though is you are first at your dealer, but that says nothing as to the actual time slot the dealer gets compared to other dealers for their first allocation, or how the allocations are spread out for cars designed for export to different countries. I certainly hope you get your car sooner than later so I can go up there and take some photos of it

I would love to know how that works. Does each country get their allocations in one production block, or is it rotated, or other?

My understanding also is the i8 will be built on the same production line as the i3, not on it's own dedicated line. If they plan to build 5000 cars per year (read that in the Car Magazine review that was posted here last week - but don't know if it's true as the author didn't cite a source - sounds a bit high to me) that's only about 15 cars a day. Or, they do a day of i8's and then a bunch of days of i3's.

Anyone knows? @Scott26?
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be sold out from under. I'm a fairly laid back guy. Tell me no one is getting one because it's delayed a couple months (remember they originally expected deliveries to start in Feb/March)? That's cool. My outrage at a delay won't make it any shorter. Lead me to believe I was in the first year's batch and I'm not? Different story.

Estimates put first year US deliveries at less than 350. Anything as hotly anticipated and limited as the i8 will result in dissatisfaction, no matter what. Which is why I think they're being so quiet about the whole thing and why they're going "steath."
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
tremnon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Lead me to believe I was in the first year's batch and I'm not? Different story.
Exactly. By the way, just to complete the picture, the same representative a few weeks ago told me that he expected the car to be delivered in the July-September timeframe.

Oh well, I guess this is a first world problem... back to other things.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Oh yeah, 100% agreed if you're sold a spot they don't actually have just to get your business, that would be reason for some raw anger and emotions.

As to the entire process, I'm of the opinion I'd rather have BMW take their time and get the car right, and deliver fully functioning cars, rather than rush production just to get the cars out when they promised but then end up with lots of i8's making trips to dealers for all sorts of "bulletins" for things that don't work.

To a point, of course.

I mean, it's the sports car of the future and all, but if the future gets here before the i8 does, it'll lose some of its luster
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Bad news for all of us then, it really does sound like the i8 production is being delayed until October.
Well. Let's not jump to conclusions based on one anecdotal example. It's quite possible that BMW decided to use the first batch to honor commitments made at their dealers at the expense of their direct customers in Germany. Assuming they begin production on the first batch (800 or less cars according to some sources) in April, the next batch in October would make sense from a model year perspective as well. I'll still hold out hope that tremnon's was an isolated case and not indicative of the whole.

All that said, the i8 launch has been the weirdest I've ever experienced or heard of.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well. Let's not jump to conclusions based on one anecdotal example. It's quite possible that BMW decided to use the first batch to honor commitments made at their dealers at the expense of their direct customers in Germany. Assuming they begin production on the first batch (800 or less cars according to some sources) in April, the next batch in October would make sense from a model year perspective as well. I'll still hold out hope that tremnon's was an isolated case and not indicative of the whole.

All that said, the i8 launch has been the weirdest I've ever experienced or heard of.
I should have said "potentially".

Btw did you ever get your official order placed yet, that was supposed to happen this month, wasn't it?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I should have said "potentially".

Btw did you ever get your official order placed yet, that was supposed to happen this month, wasn't it?
Emailed my guy this morning. He and one other guy at the dealership were chosen for "i" training which included ordering, prep, delivery, etc in Jersery, Texas, or Cali. Seeing if he finished.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #15
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Emailed my guy this morning. He and one other guy at the dealership were chosen for "i" training which included ordering, prep, delivery, etc in Jersery, Texas, or Cali. Seeing if he finished.
Just did the same to my dealer. We'll have to compare notes as to what they are saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Just heard back from my dealer (he's great about responding quickly). He was in training recently where they covered the i3 in depth, with some info on the i8. He asked, and was told, there is still no confirmed date for the launch of ordering for the i8.

BTW, I saw the first ad for the i8 in today's edition of the L.A. Times. If they are starting to place print ads, they must be getting fairly close to taking orders.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #17
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Sales guy said his "i" training is scheduled later this month but that the order bank should open before he gets to go. Regional rep was by a couple days ago and confirmed their i8 should arrive late June/early July. We'll see if this is something high up that hasn't trickled down yet or just an isolated incident. FWIW, this wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a German customer not getting an expected early reservation as they try to satiate foreign demand (SLS Black Series). Anything is possible, from BMW moving direct sales orders to the second batch to postponing the whole launch. Time will tell.

Last edited by Carac; 03-31-2014 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #18
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

You have to remember that there are customers who paid deposits in Germany and across Europe back when the i8 was a concept car.
So we announced the car for future production and people had faith that this and the i3 will be truly something unique, individual and pioneering.
      04-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #19
ddk632
United_States
Rep

I didn't even realize that was possible. Good point.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #20
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

i would have ordered it , dec delivery sounds good for me to be driving around in an I8... JMHO
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #21
Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & Jag Project 7

Hi, I'm in the UK and was called in to place my finalised order on the 22nd March. I was told too that I would be in the first batch (second in line but at a large dealership run by an ex park lane manager). I have been given an estimated delivery date of December.

Sounds like production has been pushed back. Or possibly the ones built in April/June will be the ones destined to be test cars at dealerships (these will, I believe, eventually become sale cars too and have an eta of July for the UK according to the Park Lane team).

The one puzzling thing in the UK was the crazy expensive Pure Impulse Package. At £12000 odd, it seemed to add only uk standard options, £1200 wheels, leather interior (~£2000), tech pack (£1250 - adaptive led, pedestrian detection, active cruise etc) and some decals (on brake callipers etc).

No mention of being able to specify laser lights which was a shame. Has anyone else who has ordered been able to spec these?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #22
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggsy View Post
The one puzzling thing in the UK was the crazy expensive Pure Impulse Package. At £12000 odd, it seemed to add only uk standard options, £1200 wheels, leather interior (~£2000), tech pack (£1250 - adaptive led, pedestrian detection, active cruise etc) and some decals (on brake callipers etc).

No mention of being able to specify laser lights which was a shame. Has anyone else who has ordered been able to spec these?
Unfortunately the laser won't be available in the US due to government red tape. And I thought the Pure Impulse was kind of silly. But in Germany where nothing is standard it basically adds everything and a few interior trim things like embossed leather. Otherwise you're better off just specing the options individually.

I don't think anyone but first in line will see a car before the next model year, some of the largest dealerships in the US are only getting one during 2014. We'll see how all of this shakes down.

Last edited by Carac; 04-03-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0